NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jorge Bonifacio 2017 Outlook

Fantasy Dork

23 year old Royals OF who was called up a couple days ago. 

From what I've read, he has had an up and down minor league career (has been on some top 100 prospect lists some years), but has shown decent power potential.

Some consider him a stopgap until Soler is ready, but I've also read things that say there is potential for him to stick if he has success from the gitgo. That said, he was batting third today and went 2/4 with a homer off Darvish. 

Onviously it's just one game, but I thought it couldn't hurt for him to have a thread. Does anyone have any further insight?

And yes, he is related to Emilio. He is his brother.

Edited by Fantasy Dork

I'm a dynasty owner and he's barely stayed on my roster a couple of years, but I'm wondering if there isn't something to see here in deeper leagues. He took a step forward last year moving to AAA but strikeouts were still a big concern. This year, the strikeouts have been way down and the OPS has taken another step forward and he's still just 24. Maybe he's still very much a wait-and-see guy in most leagues but deep league and dynasty owners might want to pay attention, even if this call-up only ends up being temporary.

the Royals must think he has some type of potential since they batted him in the 3 spot yesterday.

once Soler comes back it could be the end since I imagine they're going to want to go with an OF of Gordon/Cain/Soler.

what about DH? current DH is Brandon Moss, but so far this season he has sucked.

Is he Bona fide, or Bonifacio...

Bona fide or Bonifacio? -- A debated centered around whether a fast-rising player is a legitimate star or simply a journeyman on a hot streak. Named after Emilio Bonifacio, who became one of the hottest fantasy baseball pick-ups after a red-hot start to the 2009 season only to fade into obscurity.

1 hour ago, SpecialFNK said:

the Royals must think he has some type of potential since they batted him in the 3 spot yesterday.

once Soler comes back it could be the end since I imagine they're going to want to go with an OF of Gordon/Cain/Soler.

what about DH? current DH is Brandon Moss, but so far this season he has sucked.

The Royals are terrible. Why not give anybody with a pulse a chance.

• 4 weeks later...

4 homers in his last 5 games.

I ask again, is he bonafide or bonifacio?

Bona fide or Bonifacio? -- A debated centered around whether a fast-rising player is a legitimate star or simply a journeyman on a hot streak. Named after Emilio Bonifacio, who became one of the hottest fantasy baseball pick-ups after a red-hot start to the 2009 season only to fade into obscurity.

Couple R/Hs and a rare walk. Looks he's been hitting 5/6th, but of course this KC lineup isn't putting anyone on base most nights. Be interesting to see if they switch the lineup a bit, make Whit or this guy hit 1st or 2nd, then Hosmer/Mous and see what they can do. 

• 1 month later...

Guy has been great, but I'm worried Melky takes more time from him than Gordon even though Gordon has been worse at the plate. It seems Gordon can do no wrong even while on the interstate.

Maybe Bonifacio gets more ABs at DH but I see his playing time overall going down and he certainly won't be hitting in the top third of the order any longer.