NBC Sports Edge Forums

Cody Bellinger 2017 Outlook

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, freevick said:

Going to offer trout for Bellinger.  Im a dodgers fan, got to have him in my dynasty

Is this a real life fantasy post?  Am I in some alternative realm?  

This kid has the LOOK of a big-time baseball player at the plate.  He looks tidy in that gorgeous Dodger blue, but this comment was facetious am I correct?

15 hours ago, StevieStats said:

What's funny is I posted Van Sucks numbers in my post about him, they are horrendous, then someone talks about 2014 lol. Ugh.

Van Suck should be Van Swiped off that roster. It's an embarrassment that LA is giving him a major league paycheck. 

Dude...I was being sarcastic. My apologies for no not being clear....I am a Bellinger owner who thinks Van Slyke stinks as well and 2014 numbers are irrelevant.

1 hour ago, TheJuggernautBTCH said:

Dude...I was being sarcastic. My apologies for no not being clear....I am a Bellinger owner who thinks Van Slyke stinks as well and 2014 numbers are irrelevant.

Went right over my head, my bad! :unsure:

1 minute ago, StevieStats said:

Went right over my head, my bad! :unsure:

no worries... slight sarcasm is tough to catch...and for that matter...wasnt that funny....just dont want u thinking that im actually arguing for Van Slyke and 2014 stats ^_^

Dodgers manager Dave Roberts noted late Tuesday that Cody Bellinger has "done everything he can" to stick around in the majors.
Roberts told reporters last week that Bellinger would return to Triple-A Oklahoma City once Franklin Gutierrez (hamstring) and Joc Pederson (groin) come off the disabled list. Gutierrez is already back and Pederson is due to be activated Friday, but Bellinger continues to deliver big hits for Los Angeles, going 2-for-4 with a triple, two runs scored, and three RBI in Tuesday's victory over the Giants. "Cody’s done everything he can that he wants to continue this opportunity," said Roberts. "Tip your hat to him for the way he plays the game. ... A lot can happen between now and Friday and even with that we have not made a final decision." Maybe the kid should get more action at first base, spelling veteran Adrian Gonzalez.

On 4/25/2017 at 11:38 PM, b0nfire said:

Not liking this guy's stance and approach at all. He stands as close to the plate and back on the box as possible. Will be pulling everything.

Looks like they'll be pounding him in.

Not sure if I'm a believer / keeping him.

Love reading some of the earlier comments in this thread where he had to adjust initially to MLB pitching. Some people have no patience for young, stud players. 

I see no reason why he cant regular AB's in Left Field, with occasional starts at 1B. The whole "You dont lose your job because of an injury" thing is garbage, it happens all the time. If you could ask Wally Pipp, he would tell you.

3 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

Love reading some of the earlier comments in this thread where he had to adjust initially to MLB pitching. Some people have no patience for young, stud players. 

That last sentence of his tells me it was just a weak-minded attempt to get someone to positively reinforce his ownership of Bellinger. 

This kid's swing is so violent. Honestly the whip to that swing looks very much like Cory Seager's. He needs to be in the lineup every single day from here on out. I don't own him but the kid certainly looks like he passes the "eye test"

Edited by bigbluecrew56

Fangraphs' Dave Cameron on whether he thinks Bellinger will get sent down:

daro: Will LAD really send down Bellinger?? He is really hitting the ball well while not striking out. And he is ok defensively

Dave Cameron: I don’t think so. He’s better than Toles
8 minutes ago, jimbo504 said:

will he stick and get enough playing time when Joc returns?

We can hope. He could play LF at least against Righties, with Joc in Center and Puig in Right. Toles could be sent down.

28 minutes ago, RoadApple said:

We can hope. He could play LF at least against Righties, with Joc in Center and Puig in Right. Toles could be sent down.

From what I read management want to send him down to get him everyday ABs to help his development. And I agree you dont want to have him up as just a platoon bat. But Joc is a young guy too and he isnt playing everyday so that doesnt make much sense.

If I were the Dodgers I would do what ever I can to get Bellinger's bat in the lineup everyday, even at the expense of someone like A-Gon, but I dont see them doing that.

35 minutes ago, RoadApple said:

last year andrew toles hit .370 in high A, then .314 in AA, .321 in AAA and finally .314 in 115 PA in the majors

this year his BA is down because of a two-week slump in a four-week month, but he's hitting for better power than ever. over the past week - the same one week that has everybody on here mad excited about bellinger - understandably - toles has hit .320/.346/.640, with a couple of big, game-changing hits the same as bellinger's had. he also has seniority, since he had the job before this week and isn't just filling in for a hurt guy

bellinger may well be a better player than toles over the long haul, but toles does not "suck" and roberts is not "stupid" for playing toles. (i know you, roadapple, didn't say this, i'm responding to the entire thread.) i get kinda tired of that stuff. 

with that said, if i was in charge, i definitely WOULD put adrian on the DL and play bellinger until adrian's completely healthy, at this point. so i'm not advocating for bellinger to be sent down, myself. but managing veterans is kind of its own thing, and they're not the first team to hit a roadblock in that area

but teams don't just punt their existing starting players at the first sign that a rookie might be 5% better. nor should they. maintaining the buy-in and team spirit of your entire squad actually does matter

This happen a few years back with Puig and at the end, Dodgers didn't send him back down. I think Carol Crawford got hurt and Puig was called up, then everyone was like what happens when Crawford comes back. Puig raked and wasn't sent back down I don't believe. When this started, there wasn't really any place for Puig once Crawford returned. As what was said in previous post, in this thread, if the player rakes, *most* most managers will find them playing time.

Edited by Z06vette
2 hours ago, radioflyer9 said:

I feel a homer or two coming tonight against SF!! Especially with Samardzija pitching! 

If they send him down while he's hot to save Granpa Agon's ego is BS, Time to thin out the heard

1 minute ago, WouldntYouLikeToKnow said:

Hitting 5th tonight (8th last night). Surely that's a good sign. 

Indeed! Unless dude falls flat on his face, he's not going any where...

Edited by Z06vette
8 minutes ago, Z06vette said:

Indeed! Unless dude falls flat on his face, he's not going any where...

That's actually pretty misleading. He's batted all over against RHP including 1st and 2nd. He's batted 8th against LHP like Moore last night. 

30 minutes ago, tywalson said:

That's actually pretty misleading. He's batted all over against RHP including 1st and 2nd. He's batted 8th against LHP like Moore last night. 

You think so? Okay! We'll see what happens. If I'm wrong, I'll eat crow. Ive been wrong before. Many prospects see 7th or 8th in the batting lineup and nothing else until they prove something. My guess A-Gon goes to the DL.

Edited by Z06vette