NBC Sports Edge Forums

Cody Bellinger 2017 Outlook

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eno Sarris: Aaron Judge or Cody Bellinger?

Some interesting numbers-based speculation about how Bellinger may be able to lower his K% as he enters his prime, while Judge might already be in the midst of his, and therefore begin to trail off in the next year or two.  Conclusion:

There’s little evidence that late debuts show an aging curve shifted to the right, with a later peak. By this curve, this year and next year are likely to be Judge’s peak years, and Bellinger still has five years to get to his peak. There’s a suggestion then that Judge could decline faster, if he ages like other late debuts. Look how that gray line is consistently below the orange one in the later years.

And that’s the simple fact that may push some to pick the Dodgers’ first baseman: those three years of catchup that Bellinger has on Judge are very valuable. Even if it looks like just a couple ticks of strikeout rate, a few more walks, and maybe a little better work in the field, it will all add up.

Consider this, though: it might all add up… so that Cody Bellinger is about the same as we’re seeing from Aaron Judge, right now.

I honestly can't tell if this RW blurb was written in jest. The 2 homer game is being downplayed. 

Cody Bellinger finished 1-for-2 with a run scored, RBI and two walks in Tuesday's win against the Angels.
The bad news is that Bellinger is without a home run in six of his past seven games, but the good news is that he has three games without a strikeout over his past four outings while drawing three walks. The rookie will cool off in the power department, as that's just inevitable, but he seems to be developing a keener eye at the plate and is finding other ways to get on base. His first two months are nothing short of remarkable.[

9 hours ago, NyMetsfan5 said:

Funny how my prediction is completely coming true and all you guys can do is make low tier jokes lmao

be back after the gym

Schucks he dropped from 13th ranked to 16th ranked after today. 

He's probably going to be a .240-.250 hitter. So what? The K problems were bound to affect his AVG eventually. He still has plus power and is batting cleanup in the 4th best offense in baseball. 

If you missed the opportunity to sell for a 1st-2nd rounder, kick yourself briefly and move on; you're probably still getting Khris Davis in an elite offense with a higher ceiling. 

7 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

All this strikeout talk just seems like people butthurt that he's not on their team.

Can't fault people for pointing out a relevant and objectively verifiable aspect of a player's game...

The people (if there are any) saying he won't be Top 100 I feel more comfortable calling sour grapes.  

Edited by Rainyy

Wow Crickets in here. Where you guys at who were ridiculing me?  Oh that's right hiding away, never be seen again 

should of sold high on this free swinger while you could of

my track record remains impeccable

39 minutes ago, NyMetsfan5 said:

Wow Crickets in here. Where you guys at who were ridiculing me?  Oh that's right hiding away, never be seen again 

should of sold high on this free swinger while you could of

my track record remains impeccable

The only track record you have is a painfully sad misunderstanding of the use of "have" vs "of". 

Bellinger is a rookie on pace for 47 bombs and has more jacks since you started preaching sell high than 80% of players will have all year.  You sure showed everyone!

Edited by steve9347