NBC Sports Edge Forums

Cody Bellinger 2017 Outlook

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#27 went unnoticed last night, so Cody decided to give us #28 tonight.  A dead-pull hitter made the adjustment on a curve ball and mashed it to center.

That's 28 bombs in 81 games, or a 56 homer pace.  Not bad for a kid who can barely drink legally.

Average is holding steady in the .270 range.  Your comments, @NyMetsfan5?

2 hours ago, jb_power said:

somebody vanished

Well - I have scouted for the Chicago Cubs, New York Yankees, Oakland A's.  I helped scout many of the Cubs you currently see on their roster, helped build the early-90's dynasty and worked with Charlie Finley during the early 70's (that helped build that juggernaut) and also in the 80s.  I specifically scouted Canseco and McGwire.  I believe that Bellinger's swing WILL NOT sustain here on the ML level (trust me on this... way too much of an uppercut in his swing) - in fact, I compared him to Rob Deer in my latest scouting report.

Edited by IlliniGuy76

CB4

CB4 has a HR every 11.1 at bats, 29 on the campaign, and he didn't even play for a month. 

Cost. 0 

Wire Gold in the rarest form. 

Title Hunting yet again, this kid is amazing. 

It's like Apple stock at its IPO. 

Praise Jesus. 

I was expecting Bellinger's 30th homer to get some cheers here, but I guess folks noticed that it's Teheran pitching, so it's probably best to wait until all of his bombs for the night are counted.

59 minutes ago, Pap said:

Is he even more valuble in real life than in fantasy?

Dodgers with him have so much better record.

Considering his versatility to play 1B and OF, I would say yes.

Stolen from someone in today's Eno Sarris Fangraphs chat:

Judge - .329 iso, 30.x k%, 45% hard hit balls

Bellinger .344 iso, 26.x% k%, 45% hard hit balls. Playing in a tougher hitters division and 3 years younger

6 hours ago, Bullys said:

League MVP imo. He has done as much if not more then Correa did for Houston few years back.  Judge a close 2nd

Judge has no impact on whether Bellinger wins the MVP or not. 

5 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

^there are about 10 other guys who will though. 

<cough>goldyarenadoharperblackmon<cough>

Yeah, I get that. Just saying Judge will not affect Bellinger's quest for the MVP. 

9 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Yeah, I get that. Just saying Judge will not affect Bellinger's quest for the MVP. 

It's got to be Arenado for MVP this year. Rockies are going to make the playoffs, and he's on pace for some wild numbers. In a year where HR are easy to come by, hitting 40 won't matter as much.

But a lot of guys are going to have better numbers at the end of the season than Bellinger. ZiPS, which isn't perfect, has this:

Bellinger: 83R, 100RBI, 41HR, .260/.338/.573, .911OPS (incredible considering it'll be in ~130games)
Arenado: 101R, 136RBI, 36HR, .311/.361/.590, .951OPS
Stanton: 104R, 106RBI, 46HR, .269/.365/.577, .942OPS

There are guys like Bruce, Harper, Rizzo, Votto, Goldy, Blackmon... all these guys will have better end of season numbers than Bellinger - he's not the NL MVP.

s

Yup. Its a great year for a rookie.. but he doesn't combine power with 400+ OBP's like Goldy/Votto. Nor brings gold glove defense at a position higher on the defensive spectrum (Nolan)

30 HRs is unreal..but the power growth around the entire league devalues it slightly and puts emphasis on guys who either bring power with great defense or power with great OBP skills.  Bellinger is still a teir below that in a real baseball sense. However he's only a rookie. His future is promising of becoming a tier 1 player with polish and improve a solid .348 OBP into something greater that puts him in that conversation as one of the best in the game.

The fact we are even talking about this for a rookie speaks volumes of Bellinger though IMO. He's already a great player.

Edited by Slatykamora

I'm not a proponent of Bellinger winning the MVP at this point. That said, many times the MVP has been won and lost in August-September. So while I don't believe he's the leading candidate, it's a wait-and-see thing. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Bellinger hit a rookie wall and exit the conversation entirely. 

On 7/25/2017 at 10:44 AM, IlliniGuy76 said:

Well - I have scouted for the Chicago Cubs, New York Yankees, Oakland A's.  I helped scout many of the Cubs you currently see on their roster, helped build the early-90's dynasty and worked with Charlie Finley during the early 70's (that helped build that juggernaut) and also in the 80s.  I specifically scouted Canseco and McGwire.  I believe that Bellinger's swing WILL NOT sustain here on the ML level (trust me on this... way too much of an uppercut in his swing) - in fact, I compared him to Rob Deer in my latest scouting report.

Scouts can be wrong they are wrong all of the time. No scout predicted Aaron Judge's rookie season dominance. And many of the scouts were very down on him a year or so ago which is why I started ignoring him in my dynasty league. 

Being a scout doesn't make your opinion true. You mention your prized "finds" which were no brainers might I add but let me hear some of your misses? Some of your duds or some of those guys you were really high on but flopped at the ML level. 

You say you helped build the early 90's dynasty of who the Cubs? The Cubs didn't have an early 90's dynasty. 

7 minutes ago, Cdub2k said:

Scouts can be wrong they are wrong all of the time. No scout predicted Aaron Judge's rookie season dominance. And many of the scouts were very down on him a year or so ago which is why I started ignoring him in my dynasty league. 

Being a scout doesn't make your opinion true. You mention your prized "finds" which were no brainers might I add but let me hear some of your misses? Some of your duds or some of those guys you were really high on but flopped at the ML level. 

You say you helped build the early 90's dynasty of who the Cubs? The Cubs didn't have an early 90's dynasty. 

Reading comprehension. He claims that he worked with the Cubs, Yankees, and A's. My guess is the early 90's dynasty he is talking about is the Athletics? From 88-92 they averaged 97.2 wins and finished 1st 4 out of 5 seasons.

Of course, I could claim I am Jesus, but then I wouldn't spend a bunch of time on a Bible Study message board... so take whatever the hell the guy is saying with a grain of salt.