Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Cody Bellinger 2017 Outlook


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Goldschmidt? Altuve? Arenado? Blackmon? Votto? All are better than Bellinger, at least for now.

Think it was in the Arizona game yesterday where they went back X number of years and the difference between Trout and Goldschmidt really isn't all that great. Close enough that next year having the number 1 pick may not be such a slam dunk as usual.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Goldschmidt? Altuve? Arenado? Blackmon? Votto? All are better than Bellinger, at least for now.

 

They all have more pure power? That was the statement that was made...not who is the better player. 

Edited by Flyman75
Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess it depends on what you mean by "pure power." If you mean pure BP type, how hard can you swing and how far will it go power, then to me that's pretty clearly between Judge and Stanton. Gallo and Harper might be close to those two and they're young enough that they'll probably gain significant strength over the next couple years.

To me, Bellinger isn't in that pure power category with the above guys although he does have a lot of power and is obviously very good at barrelling up the ball, which matters more when you're not just taking BP. On the other hand, Bellinger is younger than all of the above guys. So who knows where his pure strength and bat speed will be at 3-4 years from now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, absknicks said:

 

Pretty clear Judge has the most "pure power" in the league. He hits the ball harder than Stanton ever has, and further too. 

 

If you're talking "game power" vs. "pure power" then I could see an argument for Stanton. 

 

 

 

This x100.. if you need to see it for yourself turn on the 2017 Home Run derby.. 

 

Judge is in a league of his own when it comes to power.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this is ahead of schedule, but how much do you think he will progress. I love that he will have OF eligibility next year, but he's gonna be the guy at 1B right? The position is so deep. Does bellinger lose value come 2019 or will he learn to bring his average up? 

 

Obviously super early, but bringing discussion uo for keeper league. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, dannyusf said:

I know this is ahead of schedule, but how much do you think he will progress. I love that he will have OF eligibility next year, but he's gonna be the guy at 1B right? The position is so deep. Does bellinger lose value come 2019 or will he learn to bring his average up? 

 

Obviously super early, but bringing discussion uo for keeper league. 

 

I'm not sure what you're asking, but his value isn't much different at 1B or OF for fantasy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, miasma16 said:

I'm not sure what you're asking, but his value isn't much different at 1B or OF for fantasy.

he asked if Bell Ringer is the starting LAD 1B in 2018

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Then how is the position deep? AGon isn't taking his ABs in 2018. He'll obviously start next year. 

Obviously but I was just translating part of the post lol. 

 

As a position, 1B is certainly not all that deep when we look at the elite.  You have your Gold and Votty who are 1, 2.  Votty is 32 or so.  Murphy and Shaw are very nice.  and Rizzo if he brings up his avg.  Smoak might be a bit legit but the Reynoldses and company just did not appeal to me.  Yada yada so beyond some of these career year guys who are pushing 30, there wasn't a bunch that jumped out at me this year at all early on so I went all in on Bellinger in both leagues to get him but esp. ESPN.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, STLSU said:

Obviously but I was just translating part of the post lol. 

 

As a position, 1B is certainly not all that deep when we look at the elite.  You have your Gold and Votty who are 1, 2.  Votty is 32 or so.  Murphy and Shaw are very nice.  and Rizzo if he brings up his avg.  Smoak might be a bit legit but the Reynoldses and company just did not appeal to me.  Yada yada so beyond some of these career year guys who are pushing 30, there wasn't a bunch that jumped out at me this year at all early on so I went all in on Bellinger in both leagues to get him but esp. ESPN.  

 

Freeman is just behind Goldy and Votto i think.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, STLSU said:

Obviously but I was just translating part of the post lol. 

 

As a position, 1B is certainly not all that deep when we look at the elite.  You have your Gold and Votty who are 1, 2.  Votty is 32 or so.  Murphy and Shaw are very nice.  and Rizzo if he brings up his avg.  Smoak might be a bit legit but the Reynoldses and company just did not appeal to me.  Yada yada so beyond some of these career year guys who are pushing 30, there wasn't a bunch that jumped out at me this year at all early on so I went all in on Bellinger in both leagues to get him but esp. ESPN.  

 

1 hour ago, Shurator said:

 

Freeman is just behind Goldy and Votto i think.

 

Given Freeman's 3B eligibility for next season, he may even slip ahead of Votto at #2.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, miasma16 said:

At best he's been the #3 position player on his own team. Let's not get ridiculous.

Behind who? Seager and Turner? no way, he's better than Seager, toss up with Turner

Link to post
Share on other sites

If we're talking 5x5 roto, Bellinger's in the top 50 overall players, while neither Turner and Seager are.  That doesn't account for Turner's lengthy DL stint, but it also doesn't account for the fact that Bellinger wasn't called up until late April.

 

It's not easy to compare a SS and a 3B to a 1F/OF, but if I were doing a dynasty draft from scratch in 2018, I'd take them Bellinger, Seager, Turner.  Though I've always felt people overrate positional scarcity and overdraft SS by a few rounds.  Beyond that, I think the fact that Bellinger just turned 22 and has hardly had any time to learn the league but is still producing at an elite level is too enticing to pass up -- no matter how great the track records of Seager and Turner are.

 

I wouldn't trade Cody straight up for either player in redraft right now, either, so it's not just dynasty upside -- he's shown us what he is, he's had to make adjustments to pitchers' adjustments, and he's still mashing.  I want to own the kid everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, azeri98 said:

Behind who? Seager and Turner? no way, he's better than Seager, toss up with Turner

It seems you don't watch actual baseball. Bellinger won't even come close to winning MVP as of today. Both of those guys (and plenty of players that aren't on his team, as well) are having better years. Just enjoy the fantasy stats. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On what basis do you determine that they are having better years , do you not use statistics or do you just look at batting average because everywhere else he is better than either of those guys and yes i watch a lot of baseball and he impresses me more than Turner or Seager , maybe you just don't like the guy and he also missed the 1st month of the season

Edited by azeri98
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

On what basis do you determine that they are having better years , do you not use statistics or do you just look at batting average because everywhere else he is better than either of those guys

No he isn't. What? They both have an equal or better wRC+. They're both better defenders at more important defensive positions. And Seager has basically missed no time, unlike either of the other two. It's fact that they've both been better players. He's not winning MVP or coming close. Do you realize how ridiculous you sound arguing with me about it?

Edited by miasma16
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

No he isn't. What? They both have an equal or better wRC+. They're both better defenders at more important defensive positions. And Seager has basically missed no time, unlike either of the other two. It's fact that they've both been better players. He's not winning MVP or coming close. Do you realize how ridiculous you sound arguing with me about it?

I'm ridiculous, look at the other posts, what other people think, when did Bellinger miss time? when he was in the minors yes before he got called up, i don't put much stock in WRC+  He is listed behind Simmonds, Upton, Lindor, Conforto, Bryant, and Chris Taylor, the system they use is a joke, Bellinger is better than all those guys, Mike Trout isn't even listed in the top 30 that tells you how much of a joke it is

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

I'm ridiculous, look at the other posts, what other people think, when did Bellinger miss time? when he was in the minors yes before he got called up, i don't put much stock in WRC+  He is listed behind Simmonds, Upton, Lindor, Conforto, Bryant, and Chris Taylor, the system they use is a joke, Bellinger is better than all those guys, Mike Trout isn't even listed in the top 30 that tells you how much of a joke it is

First he's better in every stat, then when I use a commonly known, respected, all-encompassing offensive statistic you "don't put much stock into it". Lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

He is listed behind Simmonds, Upton, Lindor, Conforto, Bryant, and Chris Taylor, the system they use is a joke,

 

Bellinger is ahead of most of the guys you mentioned in wRC+.  You were probablly looking at wRC.

 

And they don't list Trout because he doesn't have enough qualifying PAs.  If you relax the PA filter, he's #1 with a 208 wRC+.

 

I think you guys are talking past each other because you're prioritizing different things.  wRC+ doesn't factor defense, and it's a rate statistic meant to compare players to each other regardless of how much they play (as long as they hit the PA threshold.)  So if you want "who's been the best player when they're in the lineup", it probably is Turner.  If you want "who's the best overall player, counting defense" I would say it's Seager.  But if you want the guy who's had the most roto impact, not factoring in defense or position scarcity, it's clearly Bellinger.

 

They're all great players, and they all bring different things to the table.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

 

Bellinger is ahead of most of the guys you mentioned in wRC+.  You were probablly looking at wRC.

 

And they don't list Trout because he doesn't have enough qualifying PAs.  If you relax the PA filter, he's #1 with a 208 wRC+.

 

I think you guys are talking past each other because you're prioritizing different things.  wRC+ doesn't factor defense, and it's a rate statistic meant to compare players to each other regardless of how much they play (as long as they hit the PA threshold.)  So if you want "who's been the best player when they're in the lineup", it probably is Turner.  If you want "who's the best overall player, counting defense" I would say it's Seager.  But if you want the guy who's had the most roto impact, not factoring in defense or position scarcity, it's clearly Bellinger.

 

They're all great players, and they all bring different things to the table.

No, I already mentioned that they both hold superior defensive value. That, at least, is subjective. 

 

Reality is the discussion we're having. Fantasy is a completely different world. Anyone that thinks he's in contention for MVP today doesn't know what they're talking about. 

Edited by miasma16
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...