NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Christian McCaffrey 2017 Outlook

dabeesta17

11 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

He is the best WR they have.  Cam is more than capable of executing a game plan whose implementation began back in April.  So Rivera and the rest of the staff is going to devote all of OTAs, mini-camp, TC and PS to devising an offense built around CMC with no confidence that Newton can trigger it?  After 6 years in the fold, the CS has no clue if they can trust their QB to run the offense that they've now devised?  I'd give them a little more credit than that.

I was as skepitcal as anyone on draft day, but what's coming with this guy in this offense is as clear as day.  The best WR and RB combined on the team only needs to average 4 or 5 receps a game to return top 10 value in PPR (standard may be a different story).  I'm betting he's a lock to do that.

The best laid plans of mice and men. . . :P

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In my main keeper league (0.5PPR - 1pt/25returnyards) I got ARod, AJ and Michael Thomas.

I have the first overall pick and am torn between Fournette and Mac.

McCaffery is just so attractive because as of now, he's the primary punt returner, will probably field a few kicks and will be involved extra if the team is ever down. 

I feel I'd be dumb to not take Fournette as essentially the beginning of the fourth round but man, this McCaffery kid is making it a tough decision. 

Gonna be a war for offensive rookie of the year.

Edited by 10giz

He might be my first nomination tonight.  I'm not saying he can't be great (I bagged him in the 4th in an early PPR draft as he could catch 80 balls) but the hype is getting so out of hand on him that I wonder if it won't be almost impossible for him to live up to the price he'll go for if an early nomination in an auction.

This is definitely going to be a guy who makes or breaks seasons.

46 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

He might be my first nomination tonight.  I'm not saying he can't be great (I bagged him in the 4th in an early PPR draft as he could catch 80 balls) but the hype is getting so out of hand on him that I wonder if it won't be almost impossible for him to live up to the price he'll go for if an early nomination in an auction.

This is definitely going to be a guy who makes or breaks seasons.

just because you draft someone in 3rd rd or how ever much in auction doesnt mean he has to return that value throughout the season

you just need them not to bust

56 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

just because you draft someone in 3rd rd or how ever much in auction doesnt mean he has to return that value throughout the season

you just need them not to bust

This ^^^, and ...

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

I've been saying this since the day he was drafted. A big reason his floor is so high.

This ^^^.

In PPR, CMC is going to be very useful because he'll churn out production weekly with persistent upside of a big week.  Maybe he won't be making the sort of splashes in the last three weeks that become the talk of your next off-season, but his presence on your PPR roster will nonetheless be a big reason you will be crowing.  Maybe you believe you can get that sort of consistent floor from a cheaper option, like a Landry, but not IMO with the same ceiling, especially with CMC's main competition for touches so injury prone. 

Looking at his preseason highlight/hype  reel I have a question on a topic that doesnt seem to be broached on this thread. The panthers o-line seem to be opening up some BIG holes for cmc to run through; is this normal for their line? As we know average rb's do very well with solid o-lines. So how legit is the panthers o-line in run blocking because right now they are ranked at #12 -15 overall depending on which rankings u follow?

Edited by dashoe

7 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Looking at his preseason highlight/hype  reel I have a question on a topic that doesnt seem to be broached on this thread. The panthers o-line seem to be opening up some BIG holes for cmc to run through; is this normal for their line? As we know average rb's do very well with solid o-lines. So how legit is the panthers o-line in run blocking because right now they are ranked at #12 overalll?

I'd say even as a jumping off point coming in at #12 is nothing to scoff at.  And McCaffrey doesn't even need a big whole to run through as has been evidenced by all the preseason footage already.  He can literally run behind one lineman and people can't seem to find him.

1 hour ago, FouLLine said:

Fournette will go about a round earlier than CMC but I thin CMC is going to be better.

He very well, may be.  It sure wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.  I was also thinking along the lines of redraft.   But, could still be wrong.   In terms on longevity, I would certainly side with CMC, though.

6 hours ago, PackerBacker555 said:

Is he expected to return punts for the Panthers? This could be a decent move if you are in any PPR and return yardage league

As of right now he's listed as the #1 PR guy on the depth chart. I expect him to stay there.

4 hours ago, HarambeLives said:

Is he really gonna produce that well in a strictly standard but 6pt TD league?

I'm fading him in standard.  I don't think he'll have much of a RZ role with JStew around, Cam taking the odd plunge and Benjamin's ability at the goalline.  

Call me crazy but I almost want to roll the dice with him as my RB1. Ajayi/Howard/Gordon/Fournette/Gurley are no sure things themselves. Stewart has many miles on his legs and an injured past. CMC looks so explosive and only needs a small lane to gash the defense. Newton's running threat should help open up lanes as well.

9 hours ago, smeeze said:

I'm fading him in standard.  I don't think he'll have much of a RZ role with JStew around, Cam taking the odd plunge and Benjamin's ability at the goalline.  

Yeah, they certainly don't lack for options around the goal-line, though perhaps notable that FB/HB Mike Tolbert is now in Buffalo, and in 2015, Tolbert scored 4 TDs, 3 of which were receiving TDs.

16 hours ago, KennyWoo said:

That is a solid, smart strategy.  Not currently in any auction leagues, but nice to see a little bit of relevant conversation filtering into these threads.

I love the hype on this dude. All the skyrocket in ADP means is someone that deserves to be there drops to me. 

HIs ADP is already top 30 even in standard. I love hype in the preseason. What has changed? It's not even a knock on his talent or his ability to hold up. You're drafting a guy that has absolutely zero guarantee of consistent early down work and is zero guarantee of getting anything near the GL. In fact, it is almost a guarantee that he won't. So you go to rely on him getting work in the receiving game from one of the worst passing QBs in the league. This doesn't even factor in the fact that he is a rookie with no experience in the NFL. Remember, this is all for a guy going top 30 and even higher. It would be understandable if he was named the teams starting running back but as of now it's ridiculous. 

Edited by Gohawks

• tonycpsu changed the title to Christian McCaffrey 2017 Outlook
  • phatrat locked this topic
  • phatrat unlocked this topic
  • phatrat featured and unfeatured this topic