Christian McCaffrey 2017 Outlook

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, voxcausa said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/10/13/panthers-qb-newton-we-need-to-get-stewart-more-involved/106582186/

Not exactly what you want to hear the star QB say after McCaffrey has a good game

I don't really see what this has to do with McCaffrey. Stewart dropped a -.04 line last night in fantasy, they need to get the running game going and Stewart is the lead guy for that

He clearly has an elite floor in ppr. When he scores TDs, he produces stud weeks. His role probably doesn't have much room to grow (14 of Cam's 28 passes went to him), but what's not to like here?  

He will adjust to the NFL and play with more elusiveness. I think right now he is doing well enough to know this offense, run crisp routes, find softnesses in the defense, and make tough catches all of which he has demonstrated in his young career.  

Edited by Trifecta
11 minutes ago, Trifecta said:

He clearly has an elite floor in ppr. When he scores TDs, he produces stud weeks. His role probably doesn't have much room to grow (14 of Cam's 28 passes went to him), but what's not to like here?  

He will adjust to the NFL and play with more elusiveness. I think right now he is doing well enough to know this offense, run crisp routes, find softnesses in the defense, and make tough catches all of which he has demonstrated in his young career.  

Sorry that was a typo on the stats, cam had 28 completions not targets.

2 hours ago, pikerbkb said:

Just a side rant, but the developing situation with McCaffrey is starting to make me wonder if ppr is becoming an obsolete format. It came into being to balance out the player pool that was once dominated by a higher percentage of workhorse RBs and fewer fantasy relevant WRs. Now the RB position has been devalued overall and the league is pass-happy. You have a RB in McCaffrey who is not an effective runner, but is pushing into the top 15 RB tier living mainly on a consistent diet of check downs and short passes. Just seems out of whack with how the league is now. I really want to get into a point per touch league that rewards a 3 yard carry as much as a 3 yard pass.

That said McCaffrey owners have got to be thrilled. It seems absurd to me but McCaffinated has a shot to break the rookie reception record set by Anquan Boldin.

THANK YOU. SOMEONE ELSE FINALLY SAID IT.

PPR is absolutely garbage and for this reason exactly. A running back can grab 10 catches for 9 yards and still score 10 points. 

DOWN WITH PPR!!!

3 hours ago, yanksman said:

His usage is not my concern. I just dont think hes very good. Has no elusiveness. Just runs straight into the defenders.

I saw that and chalked it up as rookie mistakes. He isn't seeing the field because I saw a lot of times where he could have cut back and took it up the middle for more yardage. He also doesn't have patience for his tacklers ahead. His vision needs more work.

11 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

THANK YOU. SOMEONE ELSE FINALLY SAID IT.

PPR is absolutely garbage and for this reason exactly. A running back can grab 10 catches for 9 yards and still score 10 points. 

DOWN WITH PPR!!!

Yeah i'm proposing to my league we go .5pt ppr next season. landry shouldnt be getting u 20pts a week for merely catching a pass.

I think they will use him even more, I don't think hes capable of running between the tackles but look at what stewart did.. -4 yards, yikes. or they just abandon the run and throw 15 times a game to mccaffrey.. puzzling situation

The thing that's disappointing with mccaffrey is he just takes whats there.  I dont know what his YAC is but it's gotta be low.

Playmakers make something happen from nothing.

That's what gets you those big plays.  Until he starts making stuff happen you'll keep seeing these low numbers.

1st rd running backs are supposed to be playmakers.  I'm not sure CMC is a playmaker.

10 minutes ago, RustyMiller said:

The thing that's disappointing with mccaffrey is he just takes whats there.  I dont know what his YAC is but it's gotta be low.

Playmakers make something happen from nothing.

That's what gets you those big plays.  Until he starts making stuff happen you'll keep seeing these low numbers.

1st rd running backs are supposed to be playmakers.  I'm not sure CMC is a playmaker.

So far he's the Welker/Edleman of RBs. I mean I consider those guys to be playmakers even if their game consisted of catching 5 yard passes most of the time. Im a bit disappointed that CMC hasnt been more elusive but he's still a rookie and we havent seen a true breakout game from him. All of his runs have been straight up the middle. I dont think Ive been seen one toss sweep to him, so Carolina has to be more creative in manufacturing running plays for him.

58 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Yeah i'm proposing to my league we go .5pt ppr next season. landry shouldnt be getting u 20pts a week for merely catching a pass.

I play in 0.5 PPR and give bonus yards for reaching the 100, 150, 200 yard etc. benchmarks. Its kind of the best of both standard and full PPR. 

Last night was the first actual game I saw cmc play. I said to start him but after watching a full game I’m not too impressed. Now that I’ve had time to digest what I saw he really doesn’t seem to have that vision. There was a few plays where I saw he could have gained an

extra 5 yards but he would run right into defenders. Grant it eagles have a good defense. As far as pass catching goes he’s been productive but not eye popping. Ron rivera

has to take a look on how the falcons and saints run their screen plays. I got frustrated a few times seeing them dump off the ball to cmc way behind the scrimmage line with almost no blockers. 

3 hours ago, GurleyTHIRTY said:

I've never seen an RB so involved in an offense have such terrible Fantasy stats. In a standard league, I don't even know if he's a flex option. Can't always count on him to score to save the day. 

In ppr, he's an RB1 so far B)

I think CMC has potential. I agree, his lack of vision,  and surprisingly, elusiveness really hinders what he can do on the field. We already know he won't be someone who will ground pound you to a first down. But he has value as a RB who can catch. 

I hope the coaches point out his glaring flaws and he takes it seriously and works on it. He has to stop taking the defenders head on as if he's going to truck them out of their shoes lol He needs to bring in some cutting and juking out there. 

But, he's a rookie and I hope his upside if fulfilled. 

Edited by Wynter12
7 hours ago, pikerbkb said:

Just a side rant, but the developing situation with McCaffrey is starting to make me wonder if ppr is becoming an obsolete format. It came into being to balance out the player pool that was once dominated by a higher percentage of workhorse RBs and fewer fantasy relevant WRs. Now the RB position has been devalued overall and the league is pass-happy. You have a RB in McCaffrey who is not an effective runner, but is pushing into the top 15 RB tier living mainly on a consistent diet of check downs and short passes. Just seems out of whack with how the league is now. I really want to get into a point per touch league that rewards a 3 yard carry as much as a 3 yard pass.

That said McCaffrey owners have got to be thrilled. It seems absurd to me but McCaffinated has a shot to break the rookie reception record set by Anquan Boldin.

This is a passing league. PPR is more relevant to real football than at any time in the past. There's a reason why RBs like Adrian Peterson are obsolete even when gifted a HOF QB, an elite OL and stud WR to keep teams from stacking the box. If you can't catch, you're a liability as a RB in this league with rare exceptions. 

53 minutes ago, NBatum88 said:

McCaffrey was so good in college. I watched him at Stanford game once and he was electric.

In the NFL he looks average. Crazy

How many times in this thread have i mentioned since preseason in this thread I don't get the hype over a 

PAC-12 RB?:rolleyes:

56 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

This is a passing league. PPR is more relevant to real football than at any time in the past. There's a reason why RBs like Adrian Peterson are obsolete even when gifted a HOF QB, an elite OL and stud WR to keep teams from stacking the box. If you can't catch, you're a liability as a RB in this league with rare exceptions. 

The main reason AP is no longer relevant is because his skills are eroding, bad scheme fits, etc. If he was a more competent pass catcher it would help his cause, but not every RB is a gifted receiver. Most aren't. But the script has flipped since the rise of ppr. That's obvious. There's a big disconnect now. Receptions are overvalued IMO. If we really want to balance out fantasy production and have more relevant players in the player pool RBs should be able to get points per carry. I think it would make fantasy leagues more competitive and challenging. 

36 minutes ago, pikerbkb said:

The main reason AP is no longer relevant is because his skills are eroding, bad scheme fits, etc. If he was a more competent pass catcher it would help his cause, but not every RB is a gifted receiver. Most aren't. But the script has flipped since the rise of ppr. That's obvious. There's a big disconnect now. Receptions are overvalued IMO. If we really want to balance out fantasy production and have more relevant players in the player pool RBs should be able to get points per carry. I think it would make fantasy leagues more competitive and challenging. 

PPR strikes me as participation points leagues. Luck factors into all fantasy football. But no player should receive a point when they get a reception for negative yards.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Christian McCaffrey 2017 Outlook
  • phatrat locked this topic
  • phatrat unlocked this topic
  • phatrat featured and unfeatured this topic