NBC Sports Edge Forums

Evan Engram 2017 Season Outlook

Welcome to the NY Football Giants.

While I campaigned for an OLine upgrade, I see the Giants are going to protect Manning with weapons.

The Giants offense has the look of an arcade game: OBJ, Marshall, Shepard, Engram, Parker & (hopefully) Vereen.

A team's defense cannot double all these toys and Manning is polished enough to exploit the match-ups he wants on any given play.

I really like the pick...

I thought for a moment that OJ Howard was going to slip to the Giants, but then Tampa grabbed him.

Many people like Njoku more than Engram, but I saw all three TEs in the same tier.

I assume Reese/McAdoo see Njoku as a project and the Giants already have one project TE on the roster in Jerell Adams.

Engram is a game-ready move TE that will create ridiculous match-up issues for every defense...

He's 6'3", 235lbs, runs a 4.42 forty and can line-up inside or out.

He can't block linemen, but, most likely won't be required to regularly.

He can block downfield... coupling Engram and Marshall on the same side downfield... I can already see the screen plays unfolding.

I do not expect Engram to be fantasy consistent in Year 1, but this is a solid football pick.

Let's see how the Giants follow up.

Edited by Winky
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOVE the player, hate the pick, hate the Giants, FML they're going to win the division :)    jk.  

no but really, this pick surprised me but Engrams talent is awesome.   This Giants team is going all in offensively knowing they have a strong defense returning.  The OL is still a big time concern but maybe Day 2 will provide some help in that area.  We should see a good portion of the steady OLmen go early to mid 2nd round today so it will be interesting to see if a solid OL player falls to NY or if they possibly look to trade up if the right one slips

i dont like the pick when the giants need linemen on both sides of the ball and an upgrade to the running game. Do they really need a pass catching rookie TE who probably won't do much his 1st year?

I think this is a very good move for both he and the Giants. The outside WRs are going to require a lot of attention from the defense. He profiles more of a WR than a traditional TE, so I think he will be able to do some damage in the middle and out routes. I see this as the Giants playing to their strength on offense. Also keep in mind that the Giants offense targets their TEs with a 19% share the last 3 years. Sneaky flier if you ask me.

53 minutes ago, dashoe said:

i dont like the pick when the giants need linemen on both sides of the ball and an upgrade to the running game. Do they really need a pass catching rookie TE who probably won't do much his 1st year?

i think when LB Davis and DT Allen left the board ahead of the Giants pick they decided to swing for the fences.  They could use both players at LB and DT but outside of that, the Giants defense is stout in most other areas. 

As we saw yesterday, many believe this OL class is very weak, so while i fully agree the Giants need to address the OL, i simply think they didn't have nearly a high enough grade on those OLmen to warrant the pick in the first round.    What is interesting is the OL names still on the board right now in the second.  Maybe we see the GMEN make a move up today to grab one.  I like Engram a lot and this guy will be a solid contributor for the Giants imo

8 hours ago, Winky said:

I can already see the screen plays unfolding.

I can see Eli chucking the ball up in the air into a pack of people, like it was middle school recess football, but with all of these talented blue hands some Giant is bound to come down with it. Eli's misses were abysmal last year, as was McAdoo's insistence on pushing the "run" game. With the addition of Engram and Marshall, and considering the existing crew, I have high expectations for Eli. 

Eli loves his TE and hasn't had one capable of being used as a weapon. Engram is fast and big with great hops. He might not have a huge fantasy year but he will out up numbers. And him with the rest of the Giants offense will be a defense nightmare this season.

• 3 months later...

Not one update since the draft huh?

I am curious what NYG fans are hearing about his progress this preseason. Last I hear they were lining Engram up all over the place, including out wide and in the backfield. It would be nice to know what sort of snap % we could expect Engram to get early in the season. Are there certain formations where he will be a fixture? 

I could be completely wrong but I feel like the Giants could be downplaying his role in hopes of catching some opponents off guard early in the season. He's just such a mismatch. 

On 4/30/2017 at 2:50 AM, cross1420 said:

Eli loves his TE and hasn't had one capable of being used as a weapon. Engram is fast and big with great hops. He might not have a huge fantasy year but he will out up numbers. And him with the rest of the Giants offense will be a defense nightmare this season.

Gronk only had about 550 yards in his rookie year. Receivers and especially Tight ends tend to take longer to develop because they have to learn the proper routers sufficiently to gain the trust of their QB.  A couple of missed routes can lead to crucial INTs. With that said, Eli does love his tight ends and teams will be focusing on Odell/Marshall. 

I have no doubt that Engram will be a very very good player, I am just not sure that will happen this year. 

Engram ran with the 1st for most of the night last night. In the first half he played 25 snaps. Rhett Ellison played 9. In 1 TE sets, Engram had 19 snaps to Ellison's 3. 

Oh and he was targeted 4 times and had 3 catches for 32 yards.

Here's where he lined up:DHzKAlpUwAA2CH_.jpg

On August 18, 2017 at 10:12 AM, wideopen21 said:

Gronk only had about 550 yards in his rookie year. Receivers and especially Tight ends tend to take longer to develop because they have to learn the proper routers sufficiently to gain the trust of their QB.  A couple of missed routes can lead to crucial INTs. With that said, Eli does love his tight ends and teams will be focusing on Odell/Marshall. 

I have no doubt that Engram will be a very very good player, I am just not sure that will happen this year. 

Add his 10tds to that 1st sentence...and he was splitting targets with another good rookie TE that year

Edited by psygolf

A fascinating prospect for sure. We should get a really extended look at him again this week with OBJ and possibly Marshall out as well. With his much stronger camp compared to Njoku, who seems to be having somewhat of a tough time over in Cleveland, Engram has been handling most of what the Giants are throwing at him.

In dynasty, he's the most fantasy ready I think of all the rookie TEs (even though he has a ton to learn about playing in-line obviously). He's two years older than Njoku, yes, but that seems to be showing up in camp as Njoku has looked lost at times whereas Engram has excelled. I could be wrong, but I think given the information we have right now, Engram has moved ahead of Njoku on my dynasty board. Not to take away too much from Njoku who will probably be a TE1 in fantasy one day, but I do think he has a slightly higher bust possibility given his camp struggles. I'm not saying he's going to bust, just that I think Engram IMO seems to be safer with a similar high ceiling. 

Engram's redraft value probably only amounts to a high end TE2 as a ceiling, but I'm thinking one day he can be a reliable TE1 in this game. Fingers crossed he's Jordan Reed w/o the concussions. 

I like engram, I agree it might be hard to expect a lot in his rookie year. However Eli always forced the ball over the middle to tye and donnell so I think engram could be a factor. He should create mismatches as well. You got to think obj and bmarsh are gonna draw top coverage as well 

what i am interested in seeing this week is with OBJ out and Marshall nursing a shoulder injury, do they line him outside as a WR and use him strictly as a WR.  that is where the ultimate value would lies.  it would be marques colston rookie year all over again

I know there has always been the narrative that rookie TE don't not make an impact year 1. In fact, over the past 5 seasons, the highest ranking rookie tight end was Tim freaking Wright at like #13. 

But why am thinking about Engram differently than I have any other rookie TE is I don't think he really is a TE. Obviously he will line up at the traditional "in line" tight end position and put his hand in the grass every once and a while, but with his skill set, 6'3 245 size, and 4.42 wheels, I really think he is more wide receiver for fantasy. We have all seen what year 1 Wr's can do. 

Only other guy that I have heard people compare him to athletically is Ebron, but after watching both a ton in college I don't think Ebron is nearly as talented as Engram. The Ole Miss offense was run through this guy, much like the Redskins is driven by JReed. In dynasty leagues I want every piece of Engram I can get, he might be one of the more special athletes to be categorized as a tight end ever. 

Overall, I don't think he goes bonkers year 1 Wr like, but I don't think he goes quiet like most year 1 one traditional tight ends. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this season he ended as a top 10 option. 

5 hours ago, exzacly909 said:

I know there has always been the narrative that rookie TE don't not make an impact year 1. In fact, over the past 5 seasons, the highest ranking rookie tight end was Tim freaking Wright at like #13. 

But why am thinking about Engram differently than I have any other rookie TE is I don't think he really is a TE. Obviously he will line up at the traditional "in line" tight end position and put his hand in the grass every once and a while, but with his skill set, 6'3 245 size, and 4.42 wheels, I really think he is more wide receiver for fantasy. We have all seen what year 1 Wr's can do. 

Only other guy that I have heard people compare him to athletically is Ebron, but after watching both a ton in college I don't think Ebron is nearly as talented as Engram. The Ole Miss offense was run through this guy, much like the Redskins is driven by JReed. In dynasty leagues I want every piece of Engram I can get, he might be one of the more special athletes to be categorized as a tight end ever. 

Overall, I don't think he goes bonkers year 1 Wr like, but I don't think he goes quiet like most year 1 one traditional tight ends. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this season he ended as a top 10 option. 

Wait till Marshall or OBJ miss games then you will see this guys stock rise dramatically

9 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Wait till Marshall or OBJ miss games then you will see this guys stock rise dramatically

I actually like Engram more with both Marshall & OBJ healthy. I've recently read (don't have the link on hand) Eli has given at least 19% target share to tight ends over the past 3 season, which a is big amount when he typically is in the top 10 for attempts, so there is plenty to go around. Engram is going to make his money in the middle of the field and up the seams, if the safeties have to stay over the top with Marshall & OBJ, he is going to be going 1 on 1 with either undersized slot corners, or not athletic enough outside linebackers. What is going to make or break his value this year will be red-zone targets, which I think will increase with the big guns outside. Eli will see better match ups with Engram.