NBC Sports Edge Forums

Evan Engram 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't see the upside many of you are selling.  Neither Eli nor McAdoo has shown that they will use a TE a lot in their past and there are 2 established weapons in already vying for targets in the offense.  In addition, Shepard has shown he can be a serviceable #3 in this offense....  And now, Engram is listed as #2 on the depth chart.

Seems like a lot of bad signs to overlook if you are expecting him to be special.

3 minutes ago, Loadedbrewer said:

I just don't see the upside many of you are selling.  Neither Eli nor McAdoo has shown that they will use a TE a lot in their past and there are 2 established weapons in already vying for targets in the offense.  In addition, Shepard has shown he can be a serviceable #3 in this offense....  And now, Engram is listed as #2 on the depth chart.

Seems like a lot of bad signs to overlook if you are expecting him to be special.

Fire up Ellison!

First play must be a run.

6 minutes ago, Loadedbrewer said:

Engram is listed as #2 on the depth chart.

This is why you have to actually read the articles and not just the headline, folks.

Shepard is nothing special and Eli has made complete bums serviceable at the TE position for years.

New member, first post!

You guys sold me on this one. I was looking at Engram before this and picked him up as my only rostered TE was Ebron and I don't like his matchup against AZ. But after all this I'm going to start Engram this week. (Standard 12-team league, ESPN default scoring).

I have to think that Odell plays and isn't 100%, or doesn't play at all. If he's playing but not 100%, I love his potential as a decoy and it allows targets to Engram to increase. If Odell doesn't play, Engram is largely assured of playing more of an WR role than TE. And if Odell is 100%, and defenses are treating him like he's 100%, that means someone without the skills to cover Engram is on him. 

Let's hope Eli->Engram is a regular occurrence!

28 minutes ago, Loadedbrewer said:

They wouldn't have drafted a receiving TE in the first round if they had no plans to target him. Even if that comes down the line. 

28 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Fire up Ellison!

First play must be a run.

They didn't feature TE's in the past because they weren't worth featuring. Donnell and Tye are just the latest 2, and they're fighting for spots on rosters now. They wouldn't have used a first round pick on him and chosen him over Njoku and not traded up for Howard when he slipped if they didn't believe in him and want to use him early and often. Picture it this way, if he wasn't labeled a TE and was a WR instead (which is what he'll essentially be), people would be clamoring for him a lot more, much like all of those rookie running backs this season. 

30 minutes ago, rcarena said:

They wouldn't have drafted a receiving TE in the first round if they had no plans to target him. Even if that comes down the line. 

That was probably the same thing that people said about Eric Ebron, Tyler Eifert, Jermaine Gresham, Brandon Pettigrew,  and Dustin Keller....the last 5 TE's selected in the first round before this year.  

They all turned out to be great in fantasy.....

52 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

This is why you have to actually read the articles and not just the headline, folks.

Shepard is nothing special and Eli has made complete bums serviceable at the TE position for years.

Eli has had 3 te's over 60 receptions in his entire career (Shockey twice and Donnell once) and only one of these came in the last 10 seasons....60 receptions is typically 10th in the NFL.   Where are these other serviceable seasons?

1 hour ago, Loadedbrewer said:

Eli has been forcing the ball to the TE position for years, with less talented guys there, but then people make statements such as this one.  If Eli was willing to force the ball to Will Tye and Larry Donnell, what do you think he is going to do with Evan Engram on the field?? Ignore him?  No matter who is out there, Eli will always dump the ball off to the TE.  All of those short 4 or 5 yard dump offs where Tye falls on the floor immediately after being arm tackled, or the Larry Donnell doing a somersault for a 3 yard gain will now be going to Engram.  Imagine what he will do with these targets.  Tye got 70 targets last year.  70.  62 the year before that.  Donnell got 22, and would have had even more had he not been such a bum.  41 the year before that.  I don't know where this misinformation comes that Eli doesn't involve the TE comes from but it is obviously off-base.  Eli has been throwing the ball and elevating the play of guys who don't even belong in the NFL.  

4 minutes ago, Loadedbrewer said:

Eli has had 3 te's over 60 receptions in his entire career (Shockey twice and Donnell once) and only one of these came in the last 10 seasons....60 receptions is typically 10th in the NFL.   Where are these other serviceable seasons?

Did you actually watch the games?  Or just looking at a stat sheet? Do you know the reason why they have had these numbers? It obviously isn't for a lack of trying. Eli targets the TE early and often. The talent of the guys lining up at that position did not stand up.  Tons of wide open drops from both Donnell and Tye over the years too.  Eli has targeted the TE position over 100 times every season.  Please don't tell me Engram won't be involved in this.  Will Tye put up 42 for 464 on 62 targets 3 td's as an undrafted free agent in his rookie season and didn't even play the entire year, but we are to believe Eli won't target Engram, who has an even better draft pedigree? Where are you guys getting your information from? 

3 minutes ago, OneNastyNupe said:

Eli has been forcing the ball to the TE position for years, with less talented guys there, but then people make statements such as this one.  If Eli was willing to force the ball to Will Tye and Larry Donnell, what do you think he is going to do with Evan Engram on the field?? Ignore him?  No matter who is out there, Eli will always dump the ball off to the TE.  All of those short 4 or 5 yard dump offs where Tye falls on the floor immediately after being arm tackled, or the Larry Donnell doing a somersault for a 3 yard gain will now be going to Engram.  Imagine what he will do with these targets.  Tye got 70 targets last year.  70.  62 the year before that.  Donnell got 22, and would have had even more had he not been such a bum.  41 the year before that.  I don't know where this misinformation comes that Eli doesn't involve the TE comes from but it is obviously off-base.  Eli has been throwing the ball and elevating the play of guys who don't even belong in the NFL.  

If Engram gets all 92 targets from last year, that puts him 10th in the NFL...good, but is it reasonable to think he is getting all the TE targets in his rookie year?

I like his potetial, but I think the inaccurate idea that Eli loves using a TE, along with McAdoo's history of not using TE's will limit his upside.

Just now, OneNastyNupe said:

Did you actually watch the games?  Or just looking at a stat sheet? Do you know the reason why they have had these numbers? It obviously isn't for a lack of trying. Eli targets the TE early and often. The talent of the guys lining up at that position did not stand up.  Tons of wide open drops from both Donnell and Tye over the years too.  Eli has targeted the TE position over 100 times every season.  Please don't tell me Engram won't be involved in this.  Will Tye put up 42 for 464 on 62 targets 3 td's as an undrafted free agent in his rookie season and didn't even play the entire year, but we are to believe Eli won't target Engram, who has an even better draft pedigree? Where are you guys getting your information from? 

Donnell and Tye account for the last 2 years....what about the previous 11 years for Manning?  I realize that he hasn't has a lot of great talent at the position, but it isn't just 2 years of bad te's that concerns me, it is over a decade of similar production from all te's he has had (except his first 2 years with Shockey)....and you continue to ignore that his head coach has the same history of not using TE's..

Just now, Loadedbrewer said:

If Engram gets all 92 targets from last year, that puts him 10th in the NFL...good, but is it reasonable to think he is getting all the TE targets in his rookie year?

I like his potetial, but I think the inaccurate idea that Eli loves using a TE, along with McAdoo's history of not using TE's will limit his upside.

It is not inaccurate that he loves the TE. I have watched him play every game of his career. He will go the TE...and because of the upgrade of talent at TE with Ellison, Engram, Adams and LaCosse instead of scrapheap guys off the street, he will have even more incentive to go to them even more now.   Giants TE have left a lot of yardage and big plays on the field over the past few years. I no longer see that being the case with this new group.  

Just now, OneNastyNupe said:

It is not inaccurate that he loves the TE. I have watched him play every game of his career. He will go the TE...and because of the upgrade of talent at TE with Ellison, Engram, Adams and LaCosse instead of scrapheap guys off the street, he will have even more incentive to go to them even more now.   Giants TE have left a lot of yardage and big plays on the field over the past few years. I no longer see that being the case with this new group.  

Fair enough, we will see...good discussion!  

Just now, Loadedbrewer said:

Donnell and Tye account for the last 2 years....what about the previous 11 years for Manning?  I realize that he hasn't has a lot of great talent at the position, but it isn't just 2 years of bad te's that concerns me, it is over a decade of similar production from all te's he has had (except his first 2 years with Shockey)....and you continue to ignore that his head coach has the same history of not using TE's..

You need a breakdown of the last 11 years? You need me to ring off the names of the guys that have been manning the TE position? Hardly household names. Jake Ballard made tons of key plays during the superbowl run of 2011.   Scrapheap guy. Save for Martellus Bennett , show me the overwhelming talent here to justify being targeted more than they have? 

13 minutes ago, OneNastyNupe said:

You need a breakdown of the last 11 years? You need me to ring off the names of the guys that have been manning the TE position? Hardly household names. Jake Ballard made tons of key plays during the superbowl run of 2011.   Scrapheap guy. Save for Martellus Bennett , show me the overwhelming talent here to justify being targeted more than they have? 

If you look through the years, you don't need to have overwhelming talent to be a top 10 fantasy te.  Guys like Fleener, Julius Thomas, Charles Clay, Jordan Cameron, and Mercedes Lewis all had top 10 seasons...and the list goes on and on with average guys putting up top 10 numbers along the way.  But one thing is the same, Eli hasn't made any of his guys top 10 for 10 years.

I realize that they haven't had a great talent at the position, but some of the lack of production falls on Eli too.  

So....what to do with 3 TEs????   

Well, so far, Day 1,  no one wants to make a trade with me. I know it's early, but I dangled both Ertz and Rudolph. I can understand this though.....most teams have pretty good TEs.  Maybe two teams of the remaining 9 might have a TE less than Rudolph. Unfortunately, they don't want to give up a RB either, even one who is not in their top 2. Most teams are RB deficient just like me. 

3 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

Well, so far, Day 1,  no one wants to make a trade with me. I know it's early, but I dangled both Ertz and Rudolph. I can understand this though.....most teams have pretty good TEs.  Maybe two teams of the remaining 9 might have a TE less than Rudolph. Unfortunately, they don't want to give up a RB either, even one who is not in their top 2. Most teams are RB deficient just like me. 

Solution: don't draft a low production position en masse.

25 minutes ago, Loadedbrewer said:

If you look through the years, you don't need to have overwhelming talent to be a top 10 fantasy te.  Guys like Fleener, Julius Thomas, Charles Clay, Jordan Cameron, and Mercedes Lewis all had top 10 seasons...and the list goes on and on with average guys putting up top 10 numbers along the way.  But one thing is the same, Eli hasn't made any of his guys top 10 for 10 years.

I realize that they haven't had a great talent at the position, but some of the lack of production falls on Eli too.  

Eli maximized the talent of the guys playing TE the best he could over the years...every single person you named is leaps and bounds better than anyone he has had there.  There is no way I am going to lay any blame at the foot of Eli Manning for bums Like Daniel Fells, Brandon Myers, Bear Pascoe and worse for them not putting up better numbers, when none of them could fare any better elsewhere, much less even make an NFL team.  Blaming Eli for lack of production from the guys I just named is laughable.  

12 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

Just like we said.

Rudolf will draw nothing on the trading block.

Might as well cut him and dont look back.