NBC Sports Edge Forums

Evan Engram 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, TommyKramer said:

This guys is going to be a mega stud.  He looks like a guy who can break the mold and be a rookie TE who actually puts up good numbers his 1st year in the league

Its funny, but if he was regarded as a rookie WR would people still be concerned? Probably not. Sort of coincides with his actual draft fall ... people can't think outside the box I guess. So glad this "undersized TE" fell to 23

27 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

I still have no idea how he fell to the Giants ... looking at his production / versatility / measurables i don't get it ...

Mustve been the "small TE who can't block" bs he was tagged with - even though his blocking isn't that bad at all and his potential in the passing game more than offsets that "weakness". He'll never be a great blocker, but his deficiency in that area is greatly exaggerated  

I dont know why he dropped so far but i do think it was fair for him to be the 2nd TE selected.

OJ Howard will take maybe 2 full seasons to fully develop but by 2019 he will be awesome and Jameis loves his TE like no other.

OJ, i think will be the better real life TE, he will always block better and has good hands but for fantasy purposes Engram will almost always be ahead of OJ in my opinion cause Engran is what you said, basically an elite type wr body and athleticism available at the TE position.

I honestly think he was drafted to eventually be Marshall's replacement ... a "tight end" in label only. 

He absolutely has the talent to be a stud receiver - the measurables speak for themselves. They also paid Ellison to be the traditional TE. 

Expect a lot of "2 TE" offense this year - with Engram on the field you get the 2 TE look with the athleticism of a 3WR formation - which they've said countless times they want to run less of 

15 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

He absolutely has the talent to be a stud receiver - the measurables speak for themselves.

" All-time Ole Miss leader in receptions (162), receiving yards (2,320) and TD catches (15) by a tight end ... Led all the nation's tight ends with 84.2 receiving ypg and 5.9 catches/games [2016], while ranking tied for second with eight TD catches "

Was hesitant to start the rookie Week 1, but with a solid matchup and OBJ nursing his booboo, I see Engram soaring, potentially at the expense of Shepard.

Shepard is an Odell handcuff and nothing more. I love Shepard, but they have not been subtle at all about wanting to be more diverse on offense (not running 3WR every snap) and paid Ellison - who will see a ton of snaps as an extension of the OL / H-back 

First play of the game: 2 TE look, Eli audibles, EE to the slot, bomb TD up the middle exploiting cover 2

I have a share of Engram, but I can't bring myself to start him over Graham. I like the kid longterm, but he's going to have some down weeks if everyone is healthy because there are so many mouths to feed in the passing game. 

As an Eli owner, I love the additions of this kid and Marshall. Adding them to OBJ and Shep and Vereen makes this a potentially scary offense and opens things up more for Eli. 

2 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I have a share of Engram, but I can't bring myself to start him over Graham. I like the kid longterm, but he's going to have some down weeks if everyone is healthy because there are so many mouths to feed in the passing game. 

As an Eli owner, I love the additions of this kid and Marshall. Adding them to OBJ and Shep and Vereen makes this a potentially scary offense and opens things up more for Eli. 

Let me know when all the giants receivers are healthy...

1 minute ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Let me know when all the giants receivers are healthy...

Lol. That's why I said if. But OBJ will be back soon. Marshall won't be hurt every game. They should all be together at some point, and if they are, that will be a nasty lineup. 

This appears to be an explosive situation. He's an athletic freak. 

Watch him torch Jordan Reed's 40 ... 

Rolling him out week 1 in a 14 banger, cause why the hell not. 

12 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

You play Graham over him - he's one of the few you do

I could find one FF expert ranking Engram inside the top 12 this week with the exception of FF Today.  A lot of so-called experts are asleep at the wheel.  After this week, guess what? A lot of them will jump on board touting EE as if they knew all along he's a stud.

Here are FF Today TE week 1 rankings:

TIGHT ENDS
Chg Rank Player Tm Opp
  1 Jimmy Graham SEA @GB
  2 Rob Gronkowski NE KC
  3 Travis Kelce btn_caution2.gif KC @NE
  4 Greg Olsen CAR @SF
  5 Jordan Reed WAS PHI
  6 Tyler Eifert CIN BAL
Tier 2
  7 Zach Ertz PHI @WAS
  8 Delanie Walker TEN OAK
  9 Martellus Bennett GB SEA
  10 Kyle Rudolph MIN NO
icn_arrow_Up_medium.gif 11 Evan Engram btn_checkmark_green.gif NYG @DAL
  12 Jack Doyle btn_checkmark_green.gif IND @LAR
  13 Coby Fleener btn_checkmark_green.gif NO @MIN
  14 Hunter Henry LAC @DEN

Is he properly ranked here?

2 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

I could find one FF expert ranking Engram inside the top 12 this week with the exception of FF Today.  A lot of so-called experts are asleep at the wheel.  After this week, guess what? A lot of them will jump on board touting EE as if they knew all along he's a stud.

TIGHT ENDS
Chg Rank Player Tm Opp
  1 Jimmy Graham SEA @GB
  2 Rob Gronkowski NE KC
  4 Greg Olsen CAR @SF
  5 Jordan Reed WAS PHI
  6 Tyler Eifert CIN BAL
Tier 2
  7 Zach Ertz PHI @WAS
  8 Delanie Walker TEN OAK
  10 Kyle Rudolph MIN NO
  14 Hunter Henry LAC @DEN

Either 6th after reed or 7 after ertz for me

30 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

TIGHT ENDS
Chg Rank Player Tm Opp
  1 Jimmy Graham SEA @GB
  2 Rob Gronkowski NE KC
  4 Greg Olsen CAR @SF
  5 Jordan Reed WAS PHI
  6 Tyler Eifert CIN BAL
Tier 2
  7 Zach Ertz PHI @WAS
  8 Delanie Walker TEN OAK
  10 Kyle Rudolph MIN NO
  14 Hunter Henry LAC @DEN

Matthew Berry will be the first one Tuesday morning to say he knew Engram would be a top fantasy play week one. 

On 9/7/2017 at 3:12 PM, Loadedbrewer said:

That was probably the same thing that people said about Eric Ebron, Tyler Eifert, Jermaine Gresham, Brandon Pettigrew,  and Dustin Keller....the last 5 TE's selected in the first round before this year.  

They all turned out to be great in fantasy.....

Sure, but that wasn't your original point. Rookie TEs are a diceroll, agreed, but you said McAdoo/Eli didn't use the TE so you didn't see the upside. Completely different argument.

I'll guess that ELI throws 40 times. 10 targets to OBJ, 7 targets to Bmarsh, 6 targets to RB's, 6 targets to Shep, 3 targets to unknowns. 

That leaves 8 targets to Engram. 

6 catches 75 yards and an above average chance for a touchdown.