NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Evan Engram 2017 Season Outlook

Winky

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Tenner said:

I'll guess that ELI throws 40 times. 10 targets to OBJ, 7 targets to Bmarsh, 6 targets to RB's, 6 targets to Shep, 3 targets to unknowns. 

That leaves 8 targets to Engram. 

6 catches 75 yards and an above average chance for a touchdown. 

You are assuming OBJ plays tomorrow.  What if OBJ doesn't suit up, then what?

Please reallocate targets.... 

Very interesting article written by Cynthia Frelund on NFL.com.  She writes:

DAL 27-20

That's my projected Week 1 final score in Dallas. There are a lot of cool stats in this game and it has a lot of fantasy value, so here goes:

NYG offense: LT Ereck Flowers has allowed Eli Manning to be pressured the most of any LT in the NFL over the past two years (4.3 pressures allowed per game, 0.7 penalties per game) and Giantswere 32nd in the league at rushes of 4-plus yards on first down last season. Meaning ... Eli Manning is my No. 15 QB due to increased odds of turnovers. If you play in single-week format or didn't get a top 10 tight end, Evan Engram would be a smart risk. Watch out for injuries in the wideout corps, since Odell Beckham Jr. and Brandon Marshall have both appeared on the injury report.

NYG defense: Allowed the lowest passer rating to opposing QBs targeting WRs last season (71.1). Also allowed the lowest passer rating to opposing RBs who were targets as well. This was the No. 1 red zone defense last year and projects to be better this year. Red zone defense refers to limiting opposing teams from scoring touchdowns. Meaning ... this limits the ceiling for Prescott and Bryant. While both have solid median projections, my estimation of playing from ahead combined with unfavorable matchups limits their upside. Dan Bailey is my No. 2 kicker this week.

DAL offense: Here's my Zeke median projection: 20 carries for 91 rushing yards, three receptions for 18 yards and a TD. What matters more is the ranking ... RB3 in BOTH median and upside and RB9 in floor. Dak is QB No. 14 (median), Dez is WR6 (median).

Full article here:  http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/story/0ap3000000840194/article/5-mustread-stats-dalvin-cook-set-for-fantasy-stardom?campaign=tw-fa-sf112663328-sf112663328&sf112663328=1

Very smart gal.  ;)

Edited by theSPANKER

Have one foot in on the Ingram train. Is anyone concerned about too many mouths to feed in NY?

I suppose it can be argued NYG hasn't had a weapon like Ingram in at least a decade, but Giants TEs, in the past, seem to have a similar ceiling in terms of opportunity.

I went back and looked at three best TE years with Manning

-- 2006 Shockey: 66/623/7 

-- 2012 Bennett: 55/626/5

-- 2014 Donnell: 63/623/6

6 hours ago, jimithing11 said:

Have one foot in on the Ingram train. Is anyone concerned about too many mouths to feed in NY?

I suppose it can be argued NYG hasn't had a weapon like Ingram in at least a decade, but Giants TEs, in the past, seem to have a similar ceiling in terms of opportunity.

Keep in mind he's never had a good receiving TE since Shockey

7 hours ago, jimithing11 said:

Shockey had almost 900 yds and 7 TDs in 2005 with Eli.

7 hours ago, jimithing11 said:

Engram can play WR as well as he can play TE so I'm not worried.

There are not TE's in the NFL that I know about that have the speed and footwork that Engram has. Now obviously he won't be a 3-down player right away because he needs to work on his blocking but we're talking about the TE position here, I highly doubt there are any available FA's with his upside.

13 minutes ago, A27K said:

Shockey had almost 900 yds and 7 TDs in 2005 with Eli.

Good point. Totally forgot about that.

When is the last time a rookie TE balled out outside of Tim Wright?

I know the season-long hype in here is strong but anyone rolling him out this week? I generally stream, so I'm considering Engram especially with Odell looking like he won't play

Just now, jimithing11 said:

Good point. Totally forgot about that.

When is the last time a rookie TE balled out outside of Tim Wright?

I know the season-long hype in here is strong but anyone rolling him out this week? I generally stream, so I'm considering Engram especially with Odell looking like he won't play

If you don't have a better option might as well. I have Eifert but I specifically sought out Eifert this year as a healthy rebound year. Dallas is bad vs the tight end and should be facing a lot of pressure to get the ball out quick. I think he has 4 or 5 catches for 50-60 and the chances for a TD are very high IMO. 

23 hours ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Good luck all. You've seen this before (probably), but here's your friendly reminder of the freakish size/speed I've been hyping

https://imgur.com/gallery/35Q0g9E

Jordan Reed is a "matchup nightmare", isn't he? 

[Engram has a faster 3-cone than Dez Bryant, higher vert than AJ Green, bigger hands and a faster 20 yard shuttle than Julio]

And now:

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Jordan Reed has a fractured big toe and could be limited throughout the season.

Per Rapsheet, the injury has also affected other parts of Reed's foot and has "forced him to adjust the way he runs." Reed missed most of camp with the injury and had a flareup after undergoing stem cell treatment. None of it sounds promising, though Reed is expected to play through the ailment, at least for now. Vernon Davis and Niles Paul are Washington's backup tight ends.