NBC Sports Edge Forums

Evan Engram 2017 Season Outlook

I'm actually starting to think there's a small chance this guy has re-draft value in some leagues. He's looked pretty NFL ready in preseason. I hesitate to say a rookie TE is redraft-ready but he's a good candidate to be that anomaly IMO. I think there's an outside shot here (maybe 15-20%?) at 50+ catches. Given his estimated YPC and red zone usage, that could come with nearly 700 yards and 5+ TDs. I'm not saying it's gonna happen, but I do think he has a great chance to pull another Hunter Henry. Maybe not with the TDs like Henry did, but in his own way. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, CamNewton said:

Call me crazy, but I think he could end up as a low end TE1.

If he can't block, what is his snap count going to be?

I know McAdoo could care less about the run game, but is he really willing to play without a legit TE on the field 60%-70% of the time?

As long as Engram is supposed to be a TE, I don't like his chances of doing much beyond the occasional splash play made during the minority of snaps he'll see.   

32 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

I know McAdoo could care less about the run game, but is he really willing to play without a legit TE on the field 60%-70% of the time?

As long as Engram is supposed to be a TE, I don't like his chances of doing much beyond the occasional splash play made during the minority of snaps he'll see.   

all the reports and preseason indicate he's made strides in his blocking, by leaps and bounds actually. if he can even be a serviceable blocker and be on the field 70 percent of the time the sky is his ceiling.

35 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

I've seen nothing but praise this preseason about his blocking abilities improving. I fully expect him to the the starting TE and receive the bulk of the snap count over Tye and Adams. 

What are people thinking for Engram production wise.. 2015 Eli threw 35 TD's last year 26 TD's.. Hopefully this year hes closer to 35 with all these weapons and if the line can supply even semi decent protection. Figure Beckham is going to account for 10-12 there are still 20ish to go around for Shepard, Marshall and Engram also in no way do I see Shepard sniffing 8 Touchdowns again... Is 700 yards 7 TD's feasible for Engram, What do you guys think?

I have Gates on my squad in a 14 teamer and Engram is calling my name right now. He looks athletic as hell, plays all downs, and is basically a WR at TE. But then I read all the stats from the best TEs EVER in their rookie year and it's always 40 catches for 400 yards and 2 TDs. So I'm scared to death to have a rookie TE, but his pre-season film and the fact that they are running fade routes to the end zone on the outside just screams dynamic. But so many mouths to feed in NY......

1 hour ago, CharlesHustle said:

The way Eli utilizes the TE, the odds the G men will have to pass, and most important Inhram's skill set, I don't see how he does not avg 6-8 targets a game and that's a floor 

That's a nice thought, but saying 6-8 targets a game is a floor is just crazy talk. 96 targets is his FLOOR???

1 hour ago, CharlesHustle said:

The way Eli utilizes the TE, the odds the G men will have to pass, and most important Inhram's skill set, I don't see how he does not avg 6-8 targets a game and that's a floor 

That would project him to 96 to 128 targets for a season.

Only one rookie TE since 1992 has exceeded 88 targets (two if you count world's biggest fantasy cheat code Marques Colston).

2 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

That would project him to 96 to 128 targets for a season.

Only one rookie TE since 1992 has exceeded 88 targets (two if you count world's biggest fantasy cheat code Marques Colston).

Well, since Engram is a better WR than Colston should bode well for his chances of accomplishing that very thing.

Have you watched him in preseason? They are running him just like a slot receiver.

I am completely convinced that the Giants and Manning are going to feed this kid balls.  Whether he is lining up slot, outside, TE, or in the backfield - you are looking at an Aaron Hernandez like talent here (*snickers*).  

One thing that I appreciate about Eli, in comparison to my beloved Brady, I feel as though Eli does not have the barriers to entry that other QBs require in order to get balls fed to him.  If Engram helps move the ball down field, helps preserve ODB's health, and fill in where Brandon Marshall is going to struggle (cause lol - he will) then he is going to do just fine in this Giants' offense.  I am drafting him in all leagues in the last few rounds.  

Lastly, Giants' defense is going to be very strong this year.  I see the G-Men having the ball in their hands quite a bit meaning there might be an uptick in targets.  

He's got the speed, the only thing to be determined is if he sees the role/snaps/usage/targets in real games.

I want to believe.  Probably will stash him on the end of my bench as a Gronk owner (we also have a FLEX spot).  Worst case, if he blows up I can probably trade him for something sweet.

1 minute ago, dudewithabadcat said:

I am completely convinced that the Giants and Manning are going to feed this kid balls.  Whether he is lining up slot, outside, TE, or in the backfield - you are looking at an Aaron Hernandez like talent here (*snickers*).  

One thing that I appreciate about Eli, in comparison to my beloved Brady, I feel as though Eli does not have the barriers to entry that other QBs require in order to get balls fed to him.  If Engram helps move the ball down field, helps preserve ODB's health, and fill in where Brandon Marshall is going to struggle (cause lol - he will) then he is going to do just fine in this Giants' offense.  I am drafting him in all leagues in the last few rounds.  

Lastly, Giants' defense is going to be very strong this year.  I see the G-Men having the ball in their hands quite a bit meaning there might be an uptick in targets.  

I could see ODB's TD production dip ever so slightly, with primarily Marshall and Engram battling it out for red-zone TD receptions in an ideal scenario.

Aaron Hernandez type usage is also what I envision here, in the ideal situation for fantasy owners.

2012 New England Patriots 10 51 483 9.5 48.3 31 5 5 0 27 0

2011 New England Patriots 14 79 910 11.5 65.0 46 7 12 2 46 1

2010 New England Patriots 14 45 563 12.5 40.2 46 6 9 2 27 0

Could score more TDs though, because as good as BMarsh is, he's no Gronk.

I feel as if the TE depth this year is deeper than it has ever been.  The biggest factor for TE rookies was that from college to the pros there were huge hurdles.  It seems as if many of the college teams out there are developing TRUE NFL style TEs these days.  Engram being one.  Look at all those I-Seam patterns that Engram busted out. *drool*

1 minute ago, KBird705 said:

I love this guy! I drafted Hooper as my TE in a 14 team league but really thinking about swapping them out. We have extremely shallow benches so no room for both. I just have a feeling.

I have Hooper and Engram in two 12-Team leagues.  I'm high on unproven TE talent this year. 

2 hours ago, hard1 said:

A guy of this caliber hasn't been in the league before...don't let Rookie TE play previously dictate your add.... I fully expect a floor of 4 to 5 targets a game....

Don't see it - there's a lot of mouths to feed in an offense run by a declining Eli Manning. 

Odell, Marshall, and Shepard are going to be on the field a ton in those 3 WR sets, and they all figure to be higher in the pecking order. Someone calling 100+ targets for the TE is basically saying one or more of these WRs busts hard in terms of volume. 

The three Giants' TEs combined for 113 targets last year (Tye, the starter, had 70). That's with a washed up Victor Cruz on the field a majority of snaps. Now he's replaced by Brandon Marshall. 

Edited by Rainyy
Just now, kball09 said:

Are we totally sure Brandon Marshall isn't washed up though?

I am totally sure he's better than Victor Cruz, and the Giants just invested 12M in him so they will try to get him involved.