NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Deshaun Watson 2017 Season Outlook

TX Babe Ruth

I love what Houston did to get Deshaun Watson, a two-time Heisman Trophy finalist that took down Bama on the national stage.

He needs to work on his turnovers but I think he got the perfect coach( Bill O'Brien) and team(top defense) to help him develop into one of the NFL's top QBs.

It was the perfect storm for him and I'm putting it on record to say that he will be the best QB in the 2017 draft once he hangs up his cleats.

He will be the immediate starter unlike the two QBs drafted before him. There's no greater experience than on the field.

I know many think he's a bust, but I love the guys confidence and swag. 

Image result for deshaun watson

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good coach in place that should help further his mechanics and development

Nice RB with Miller

Has a WR1 in Hopkins, followed by a nice group of Fuller, Miller, and Strong

TE's should be nice reliable outlets for him with Feidorowicz/Griffin

OL that graded out middle of the pack in run/pass blocking

and as stated, a very strong defense.

This is a great landing spot for Watson and we will get an early look at him in 17' no doubt about it.  He will def need to improve in certain areas but the weapons around Watson within this offense should give him a leg up to play well and OBrien likes the run the ball, so that could help take some pressure off Watson's shoulders early in his career.  

An obvious and easy comp, this feels like Dak falling into Dallas' lap, except Houston actually has a defense. 

Edited by BlakeP42

7 minutes ago, BlakeP42 said:

Nice RB with Miller

This is a great landing spot for Watson and we will get an early look at him in 17' no doubt about it.  He will def need to improve in certain areas but the weapons around Watson within this offense should give him a leg up to play well and OBrien likes the run the ball, so that could help take some pressure off Watson's shoulders early in his career.  

An obvious and easy comp, this feels like Dak falling into Dallas' lap, except Houston actually has a defense

He is more likely to succeed in my humble opinion with the situation he was drafted into in Houston. Yes, it does feel like Dak, and the reason I started his thread.

It's going to be a dog fight between Indy and Houston for the AFC south if they can get Watson up to speed.

Watson wanted to be a cowboys so bad but he was a season too late. Dak is the man in Dallas. 

I will be rooting for his success since he wanted to be a cowboy. 

20 minutes ago, BlakeP42 said:

An obvious and easy comp, this feels like Dak falling into Dallas' lap, except Houston actually has a defense. 

And instead of falling into their lap, they tripped over their own feet w Brock Osweiler and Browns trades to climb up and get him :lol:

Edited by Lord_Varys

38 minutes ago, TX Babe Ruth said:
23 minutes ago, BlakeP42 said:

Nice RB with Miller

He will be the immediate starter unlike the two QBs drafted before him. There's no greater experience than on the field.

Agreed that DWats has fallen into the right place at the right time -- learning from the bench rots. He has a WR corps with the potential to rival any team's, and TEs that proved dependable. The question in my mind is, What's his learning curve? When will he be a reliable fantasy starter? If I remember, it wasn't until late in the year when Mariota began producing, and Mariota's second year was great. Winston's second year, too (and his freshman year as a pro left much to be desired). Do you think mid-season is too hopeful? 

Dynasty, he's a grab.

19 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

Agreed that DWats has fallen into the right place at the right time -- learning from the bench rots. He has a WR corps with the potential to rival any team's, and TEs that proved dependable. The question in my mind is, What's his learning curve? When will he be a reliable fantasy starter? If I remember, it wasn't until late in the year when Mariota began producing, and Mariota's second year was great. Winston's second year, too (and his freshman year as a pro left much to be desired). Do you think mid-season is too hopeful? 

Dynasty, he's a grab.

Grab him now, he's going to start this season and produce.

Everyone likes to compare him to Mariota but he's no Mariota, the kid has a strong arm and more of a pocket passer. He's good under pressure and prone to big challenges. He has more weapons around him than Mariota, too. He will produce this season

Edited by TX Babe Ruth

31 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

And instead of falling into their lap, they tripped over their own feet w Brock Osweiler and Browns trades to climb up and get him :lol:

LOL, maybe falling in their lap was a bad way of saying that.  They def paid to get their guy.  Dak just literally fell in Dallas' lap in the 4th and they got lucky.

11 minutes ago, BlakeP42 said:

LOL, maybe falling in their lap was a bad way of saying that.  They def paid to get their guy.  Dak just literally fell in Dallas' lap in the 4th and they got lucky.

One thing I know...  O'Brien's offense is tough to grasp mentally.  I wonder if Watson will be able to adjust and absorb it on time.  It relies on WR and QB being on the same page, seeing the same things, making the right reads and picking the right route options.  So I've heard.

Versus I think Dallas really simplified things for Dak and he was able to keep everything in front of him.  I wonder/worry if Watson will be able to be effective right away.  Genuinely curious, maybe I'm over thinking.

24 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

Dynasty, he's a grab.

love him as a dynasty grab since he's landed in Houston, agreed

I'd say his learning curve is going to take an adjustment period no doubt and i would not be expecting him to be all that FF relevant in year one.  If I'm OBrien I'm trying to get Watson to simply drive the bus on the straight and narrow in year one.  Rely on the run game and defense, then let Watson grow into the offense and make plays as needed.  I like Watson's mental make up and his poise.  I does not rattle quickly.  I think he's going to have plenty of upside within this offense when all said and done, but its really hard to know when it will all click.  Watson will def takes his lumps as every rookie does.  Luckily, i don't think Watson will have to press and chunk it 40 times a game if this offense works as well as i think it can

8 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

One thing I know...  O'Brien's offense is tough to grasp mentally.  I wonder if Watson will be able to adjust and absorb it on time.  It relies on WR and QB being on the same page, seeing the same things, making the right reads and picking the right route options.  So I've heard.

Versus I think Dallas really simplified things for Dak and he was able to keep everything in front of him.  I wonder/worry if Watson will be able to be effective right away.  Genuinely curious, maybe I'm over thinking.

i think OBrien and his QB coaching experience will lead him to make adjustments in Watson's favor early on.  I expect this offense to clock manage to a heavy degree and try not to put the game on Watson's arm early if possible.  Of course, the nature of the game is going to put Watson in a pickle from time to time given the competition across this league. So Watson will def have some growing pains to work through.  I think Watson will  have to work hard on his underneath reads to his WR's, as well as i think his arm motion/mechanics are flawed.  I know OBrien couldn't fix Oz but i think Watson is a superior talent to that of Oz overall.

1 hour ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

He will be the immediate starter unlike the two QBs drafted before him.

Coach Bill O'Brien said Tom Savage is "our starter," even after the Texans traded up to take Deshaun Watson at No. 12 overall.

Longtime beat writer John McClain also feels Watson won't be starting "anytime soon" due to the difficulty of O'Brien's system. "As a rookie quarterback it's a big jump," O’Brien said. "Tom is our starter and Deshaun will come in and he's going to work hard and we're going to teach him and feed him a lot of information and he'll work at it." Savage will likely open the summer atop the depth chart and possibly get the nod in Week 1, but his leash is going to be very short.

I hear he throws the ball 49 MPH and has horrible deep pass accuracy.

And the Texans QB evaluation is suspect at best: Osweiler, Savage, and Weeden last year.  

Give Cleveland a 2nd round pick to take Osweiler.  

Give Cleveland a 1st round pick to take someone who isn't as good as Osweiler.

We'll see.

2 hours ago, BlakeP42 said:

Nice RB with Miller

Two crucial differences though -

Dak walked into an all world OL, that's not the case in Houston.  And the cost for Dak was much cheaper both financially and draft capital wise.

Having said that,  this is a good spot for him.   I am concerned about the nature of his turnovers as they have shown an inability to read zone coverage underneath. 

1 minute ago, 96mnc said:

Two crucial differences though -

Dak walked into an all world OL, that's not the case in Houston.  And the cost for Dak was much cheaper both financially and draft capital wise.

Having said that,  this is a good spot for him.   I am concerned about the nature of his turnovers as they have shown an inability to read zone coverage underneath. 

yea, as i told LV, saying Watson fell in their lap was a bad way of stating it.  Esp for me to then mention Dak, who literally was just hanging around and taken as a flyer 4th rounder with upside.  Houston jumped up and they have Watson at a hefty price no doubt compared to Dak and Dallas.  I was trying to state i think Watson fell into a nice situation vs if he landed in say, CLE or something like that at pick 12.

The Houston OL, while sure they aren't as good as Dallas, they still didn't grade out terribly or near the bottom across the league.  I think last i checked they were right in the middle of the road in passing and run blocking.  I may need to revisit that for accuracy though.  

When i watched Oz's terrible season last year, more times then not i felt i saw a bad QB with time, more then i saw a QB running for his life which caused him to struggle.  Oz was his own worst enemy last year i thought.  I think if this Houston OL returns in tact, they should be solid enough for Watson to manage the game under a very run first oriented game plan.

As for your comment i bolded above, i totally agree 100%.  Its exactly the concerns i have raised as well

Fantasy wise, even if he is starting, I think he's dnd in redraft. Dynasty grab away, but remember Dak is an uber exception.

Look at Wentz for the best case (fantasy) scenario rookie performance IMO. That's not something you get excited about.

23 minutes ago, jbshaw said:

Fantasy wise, even if he is starting, I think he's dnd in redraft. Dynasty grab away, but remember Dak is an uber exception.

Look at Wentz for the best case (fantasy) scenario rookie performance IMO. That's not something you get excited about.

Completely disagree if he's the week 1 starter. He's much better than Wentz and Dak. 

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

Completely disagree if he's the week 1 starter. He's much better than Wentz and Dak. 

Spoiler tags for length.

Sam Bradford?  QB 20

Tim Tebow?  Lol.

Cam Newton QB2

Locker QB40

Gabbert QB28

Ponder QB26

Andrew Luck QB10

RG3 QB5

Ryan Tannehill QB22

Brandon Weeden QB25

Bonus: Russel Wilson QB11

EJ Manuel QB28

Bortles QB24

Manziel QB50

Bridgewater QB22

Bonus: Carr QB20

Winston QB14

Mariota QB21

Goff QB37

Wentz QB24

Lynch QB42

Bonus: Prescott QB6

Above is every first round pick (plus 2 notable rookie starters not taken in the first round) since the 2010 draft. If I'm missing anyone notable (not all that familiar with when a lot of players came into the league), please let me know.  A total of 5 prospects have finished as a QB1 or close to it.  2 of those were uber athletic QBs (well beyond Watson's capability) whose rookie success stemmed off their ability as rushers, not passers.  1 of those was the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning, who went to a team in a crappy division (shared with Watson) who was constantly in shootouts (exact opposite of Texans) and got a ton of pass attempts.  One of those is a much better prospect that Watson, who also was highly successful in college (albeit with some character concerns) who also came onto a team that was constantly losing (record of 5-11 in rookie season), giving him ample opportunity to pass the ball. One of those came into just about the best supporting cast possible with an easy schedule, and did things only Tom Brady had ever done.  

<Edit insert> Add in Russell Wilson, who had every trait scouts look for but height.  Situation wise, the 2012 Seahawks are probably the most comparable to the Texans of any of our successful rookies. </insert.>

That's it.  If you want to draft Watson in redraft because you think he's an exception to rookie QBs not being great fantasy performers, fine.  But identify why he's different, when high character winners like Tebow or Bridgewater didn't make it. 

2 hours ago, BlakeP42 said:

yea, as i told LV, saying Watson fell in their lap was a bad way of stating it.  Esp for me to then mention Dak, who literally was just hanging around and taken as a flyer 4th rounder with upside.  Houston jumped up and they have Watson at a hefty price no doubt compared to Dak and Dallas.  I was trying to state i think Watson fell into a nice situation vs if he landed in say, CLE or something like that at pick 12.

The Houston OL, while sure they aren't as good as Dallas, they still didn't grade out terribly or near the bottom across the league.  I think last i checked they were right in the middle of the road in passing and run blocking.  I may need to revisit that for accuracy though.  

When i watched Oz's terrible season last year, more times then not i felt i saw a bad QB with time, more then i saw a QB running for his life which caused him to struggle.  Oz was his own worst enemy last year i thought.  I think if this Houston OL returns in tact, they should be solid enough for Watson to manage the game under a very run first oriented game plan.

As for your comment i bolded above, i totally agree 100%.  Its exactly the concerns i have raised as well

There's been a lot of discussion on the net about Watson's lack of arm strength.  While I'm not ready to write him off due to it like some are I'm 100% convinced that it WOULD have been a huge issue playing in the AFC North in November and December especially with the wind in Pitt and Cleveland.

6 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

There's been a lot of discussion on the net about Watson's lack of arm strength.  While I'm not ready to write him off due to it like some are I'm 100% convinced that it WOULD have been a huge issue playing in the AFC North in November and December especially with the wind in Pitt and Cleveland.

He has Miller in the backfield with pretty decent TEs at his disposal. There are not too many QBs that are accurate in windy conditions. I've heard man say that they would rather play in snow and rain than wind. 

I remember the same knock on SB champ, Russell Wilson. 

8 minutes ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

He has Miller in the backfield with pretty decent TEs at his disposal. There are not too many QBs that are accurate in windy conditions. I've heard man say that they would rather play in snow and rain than wind. 

Just pulled up a scouting report and the only negatives I see are height and can he throw from the pocket.  Only remember height from when he was drafted (going to add him to my list too). 

1 hour ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

That was NOT the same knock on Wilson.  As JBShaw said, only height was an issue for Russ.

Wilson played in the Big Ten where weather was an issue in late October and November. 

14 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

That was NOT the same knock on Wilson.  As JBShaw said, only height was an issue for Russ.

Wilson played in the Big Ten where weather was an issue in late October and November. 

Wilson was only in the Big 10 for one season. His height and being kicked out of NC State for Glennon were big knocks on him predraft. 

3 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Wilson was only in the Big 10 for one season. His height and being kicked out of NC State for Glennon were big knocks on him predraft. 

I can think of another QB who had knocks about losing playing time to newer talent in school, although he fell past the third round and didn't have Wilson's arm strength or mobility. Think the next time I hear that complaint without any other real negatives attached to the player, I think I'm going to disregard it.  

1 minute ago, jbshaw said:

I can think of another QB who had knocks about losing playing time to newer talent in school, although he fell past the third round and didn't have Wilson's arm strength or mobility. Think the next time I hear that complaint without any other real negatives attached to the player, I think I'm going to disregard it.  

Amen

4 hours ago, joshua18 said:

The NC State coach punished Wilson for playing baseball.