NBC Sports Edge Forums

Deshaun Watson 2017 Season Outlook

1 hour ago, ertsauce said:

Fairly safe for top 5 given ARod injury and Saints becoming more run-heavy. Can't see below 7.

He will be out of the top ten after this week. Hawks are going to school him as they eat up running Qbs

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, NyMetsfan5 said:

This ain’t Tavaris Jackson bud

I'm starting Watson therefore he will suck

Just now, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I get it now, he will suck cause you suck.

I do own loser Derrick Henry so yes I suck

5 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Havent dropped yet? 

Interesting. Must love his potential, eh?

Dropping him for Sterling Shepherd...Watson did have a week to prepare for Seattle so maybe he will surprise everyone

5 hours ago, lavaman said:

What's Watson's position ranking the rest of the season....maybe top 5?  I have no idea...anyone have any input?

Think thats probably overrated.  He's on an unsustainable pace, and the weather is only going to get worse, which is going to be an issue with his mediocre (generous) arm strength when he travels.  His blow up the last month has been among the worst secondaries in the league, and he's gotten away with a lot of passes that should have been intercepted but weren't.  Add both factors, and defenses getting more tape as the season goes on, and I think he comes back to more what I would expect a good rookie to put up.  Which isn't a top 12 QB.  He'll probably end up there because of his explosion, but if you started a new season THIS WEEK, I don't think he's a top 12 guy.  

Great kid.  As someone who lives near Houston, glad the city clearly has a decent QB to hope for the future with.  But I don't think the fantasy train is going to continue chugging at its current speed.

11 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

He will be out of the top ten after this week. Hawks are going to school him as they eat up running Qbs

He could probably score a 0 and still be in the top ten....  Ffs he already had his bye and he barely played week 1 (basically only had 5 weeks to produce which is ~25% less opportunity than everyone above him) and he's still the number 5 scoring QB in my league.

18 hours ago, jbshaw said:

Think thats probably overrated.  He's on an unsustainable pace, and the weather is only going to get worse, which is going to be an issue with his mediocre (generous) arm strength when he travels.  His blow up the last month has been among the worst secondaries in the league, and he's gotten away with a lot of passes that should have been intercepted but weren't.  Add both factors, and defenses getting more tape as the season goes on, and I think he comes back to more what I would expect a good rookie to put up.  Which isn't a top 12 QB.  He'll probably end up there because of his explosion, but if you started a new season THIS WEEK, I don't think he's a top 12 guy.  

Great kid.  As someone who lives near Houston, glad the city clearly has a decent QB to hope for the future with.  But I don't think the fantasy train is going to continue chugging at its current speed.

All I read was “blah blah Watson hater for life blah blah, mediocre arm.” Wth? He has a damn cannon, at the combine he threw a ball to the damn moon ?

20 minutes ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

All I read was “blah blah Watson hater for life blah blah, mediocre arm.” Wth? He has a damn cannon, at the combine he threw a ball to the damn moon ?

He has an objectively weak arm.  Blake Sims is the only guy to throw with less velocity as the combine in the last 5 years.  Being able to throw far isn't what most people consider arm strength.  Houston's a dome, so home games that won't matter (and arm strength is overrated under normal circumstances).  Looking at their road schedule, they're actually not playing that many northern outdoor games, so I'm probably overstating it's impact this year.  

But I"ll eat my shorts if he keeps up this pace.  He's getting away with things he shouldn't be (combination of sheer luck on dropped INTs and bad secondary).  Like i said above.  I like the guy.  I think he's a franchise QB.  But he's on an unsustainable pace and has had an easy schedule the last month.  

25 minutes ago, jbshaw said:

He has an objectively weak arm.  Blake Sims is the only guy to throw with less velocity as the combine in the last 5 years.  Being able to throw far isn't what most people consider arm strength.  Houston's a dome, so home games that won't matter (and arm strength is overrated under normal circumstances).  Looking at their road schedule, they're actually not playing that many northern outdoor games, so I'm probably overstating it's impact this year.  

But I"ll eat my shorts if he keeps up this pace.  He's getting away with things he shouldn't be (combination of sheer luck on dropped INTs and bad secondary).  Like i said above.  I like the guy.  I think he's a franchise QB.  But he's on an unsustainable pace and has had an easy schedule the last month.  

Most mortals could not keep that up.  But this Sunday should be telling then.  Some people think his “easy schedule” is why he was so successful. A stinker this game will give that crowd more ammunition.  However, I don’t see how he could score under 15 fantasy points, which is just okay, so I’m thinking 15 (okay) is his floor.  His ceiling is double that, and that is what we hope to see when we insert him into the lineup.  All it takes is one 40yd td run and we have 10points on one play. Maybe Wentz and Watson are two of maybe 3 who could do that. 

I benched Alex the Great for him so I believe.....

19 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

Most mortals could not keep that up.  But this Sunday should be telling then.  Some people think his “easy schedule” is why he was so successful. A stinker this game will give that crowd more ammunition.  However, I don’t see how he could score under 15 fantasy points, which is just okay, so I’m thinking 15 (okay) is his floor.  His ceiling is double that, and that is what we hope to see when we insert him into the lineup.  All it takes is one 40yd td run and we have 10points on one play. Maybe Wentz and Watson are two of maybe 3 who could do that. 

I benched Alex the Great for him so I believe.....

15 is possible, but I'm honestly expecting something like 220, 1/2, or 11ish points passing. So he needs a big rushing play to have an okay day, and I'm not sure how likely that is. If he'd my only qb, I'm not bending over backwards to pick up a one week fill in. But I wouldn't start him in daily, or if I had 2 decent qbs. I'm Not starting Mccown, but Cam, Stafford, or Dalton? Think I'd go those directions (off top of head don't remember lions match-up)

this kid isn't scared and will be airing it out a lot. he doesn't play safe- he launches and depends on his WRs to make plays even in blanket coverage. 

it'll come down to Hopkins and fuller vs that SEA secondary and i don't see coverage playing a huge role in this game as that ball is getting aired out regardless. 

if if you want a safe play Watson isn't a great start. if you want to gamble on a low floor to hit a huge day roll him out.