NBC Sports Edge Forums

Deshaun Watson 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noticing Malcom Butler's comments on Watson comparing him to Cam Newton (the good version of Newton, not the 2016-2017 version)... I remembered that Cam Newton was great his 2011-2012 campaigns... won a few leagues for people in fact due to his rushing ability.

Intrigued... I pulled up Cam's rookie season game by game stat line -

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NewtCa00/gamelog/2011/

He had some "rookie moment" games (week 2, 6, 10 stand out), where he threw 0-1 TD's and multiple Int's, but his rushing yards + rushing TD probability masked those rookie mistakes for fantasy owners.

I'm bringing this up solely as a comparison. Unfortunately we only have 2 true games under our belts to compare, but from what I have seen from Watson he has the ability to approach if not match Cam's rookie performance. This is really just me hoping, hyping him up for my own selfish reasons because Cam is killing me this year, but the "what if" is exciting...and the possibility is there.

Edited by TheAwakening
28 minutes ago, TheAwakening said:

Noticing Malcom Butler's comments on Watson comparing him to Cam Newton (the good version of Newton, not the 2016-2017 version)... I remembered that Cam Newton was great his 2011-2012 campaigns... won a few leagues for people in fact due to his rushing ability.

Intrigued... I pulled up Cam's rookie season game by game stat line -

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NewtCa00/gamelog/2011/

He had some "rookie moment" games (week 2, 6, 10 stand out), where he threw 0-1 TD's and multiple Int's, but his rushing yards + rushing TD probability masked those rookie mistakes for fantasy owners.

I'm bringing this up solely as a comparison. Unfortunately we only have 2 true games under our belts to compare, but from what I have seen from Watson he has the ability to approach if not match Cam's rookie performance. This is really just me hoping, hyping him up for my own selfish reasons because Cam is killing me this year, but the "what if" is exciting...and the possibility is there.

Dabo Sweeny said "if you pass on Deshaun Watson you are basically passing on Michael Jordan"

On 9/26/2017 at 7:40 AM, TheAwakening said:

As an owner of Cam, struggling with what to do at QB this year... Watson has me tempted to pick him up... in 4 point passing TD leagues, that rushing ability and rushing TD potential is premium.

On 9/26/2017 at 8:44 AM, jeffnsee said:

So tempted to switch out Kizer for Watson. I think Watson will have a decent floor with him getting 30-40 rushing yds a game and a relatively high number of possessions with their defense forcing 3 and outs.

Cam was dropped Tuesday morning, Watson grabbed Wednesday morning...Let the good times roll. 

I came in here because all I really have seen is his 1st game vs Cincy (parts of it) and the (very impressive) highlights from the game vs NE. He is looking like what I had hoped Cam would be this year: a 'meh' to good QB with some rushing yds/TD's.

I know the NE DEF stinks, but I saw a review on E$PN stating that all other rookie QB's combined for a 195 passing yds, a 53% comp rate and 17 - 27 TD/INT ratio...Watson was over 300, 67% comp and 2-2...Throw in the fact that he's 'on pace' for 650+ yds rushing...I'm sold. 

And just for the sake of throwing some #'s out there...If he throws for 2800 yds & 20 TD, rushes for around 650 yds & 3 TD, then loses 10 points in turn-overs, he could be near QB12 if things break right. But if he continues to progress as a passer and ends up closer to Prescotts or Wentz in rookies passing yds vs say, Goffs rookie yardage, he may be an every week starter when you include the rushing stats. 

Edited by cutter311
added "DEF", to NE stinks...

Starting him over Derek Carr this week after that pitiful performance. 

I rewatched the game last night against the Patriots and I love how Deshaun creates plays with his legs. His arm is also a cannon. He made some throws that made me say wow a few times. It seems like he's growing as he gains more experience too... Can't wait to see how he does ROS. 

21 minutes ago, rasto21585 said:

Just picked him up as a bye in fill in for Wentz, but I'm debating if he might be the better start ros

Wentz has been a beast the first two weeks and slightly cooled off against a fierce desperate Giants defense. Why the concern? It's not like he stunk that game. 

But i too love DW.....as my back up for now. He may progress to starter though as I watch.

Edited by TennisMenace