Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Deshaun Watson 2017 Season Outlook


TX Babe Ruth
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

 

Waston better start ROS than Wentz? Please explain, I'm having a very hard time understanding your reasoning.

 

 

 

Wentz scored 16 points in my league last week. Watson scored 29 in only his 3rd start.

 

I think it is fair to ask the question if watsons star is on the rise. His added rushing yards along with throwing a couple TDs could make him more valuable than Wentz on a per game basis.

 

I have picked up Watson and if i see him get even better this week then there is serious reason to believe watson could hold greater ros value than wentz.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

 

Wentz scored 16 points in my league last week. Watson scored 29 in only his 3rd start.

 

I think it is fair to ask the question if watsons star is on the rise. His added rushing yards along with throwing a couple TDs could make him more valuable than Wentz on a per game basis.

 

I have picked up Watson and if i see him get even better this week then there is serious reason to believe watson could hold greater ros value than wentz.

 

I agree with you Cleats, Watson is definitely improving. But I think Wentz is the superior FF player.

 

For comparison purposes:

 

Wentz

Week 1 - 25 ff pts

Week 2 - 31 ff pts

Week 3 - 16 ff pts

72 total ff pts | 24 avg ppg

 

Watson

Week 1 - 8 ff pts

Week 2 - 19 ff pts

Week 3 - 24 ff pts

51 total ff pts | 17 avg ppg

 

Not trying to prove a point, just sharing the stats. I do love Watson's rushing ability (leads all QB's so far this year with 124 total rushing yards). Wentz can also run, he ranks 5th in the league with 84 total rushing yards.

 

FWIW, I tried to grab Watson as my Rodgers back up but wasn't successful. Good luck with Watson, you made a good call on picking him up now. I was about a week late.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

 

I agree with you Cleats, Watson is definitely improving. But I think Wentz is the superior FF player.

 

For comparison purposes:

 

Wentz

Week 1 - 25 ff pts

Week 2 - 31 ff pts

Week 3 - 16 ff pts

72 total ff pts | 24 avg ppg

 

Watson

Week 1 - 8 ff pts

Week 2 - 19 ff pts

Week 3 - 24 ff pts

51 total ff pts | 17 avg ppg

 

Not trying to prove a point, just sharing the stats. I do love Watson's rushing ability (leads all QB's so far this year with 124 total rushing yards). Wentz can also run, he ranks 5th in the league with 84 total rushing yards.

 

FWIW, I tried to grab Watson as my Rodgers back up but wasn't successful. Good luck with Watson, you made a good call on picking him up now. I was about a week late.

 

Yes sir, i see what you are saying but watsons numbers impress me.

 

Week 1 splits with savage and got 8

 

Week 2, first start of his career he got 19

 

Week 3, only his 2nd career start he got 24

 

From 8 to 19, to 24, good lord, what if he jumps to 30 next? Could, if titans can score on Houston.

 

Ive seen enough of watson to know that if his team is trailing or behind he can really carry the team on his back and that is fantasy gold.

 

I believe wentz has more wr weapons but deshauns mobility to create downfield anf his rushing yards will always keep him close to the top qbs in fantasy.

 

I cant predict what games Houston defense will give up 30 points but when they do those will be the games to play watson as he runs and guns his way to fantasy greatness.

Edited by DerrickHenrysCleats
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dumped Alex Smith for him and plan to start him over Jameis Winston. I can't recall another rookie QB I've ever started in close to 20 years of fantasy football. Not that I'm gaga over him yet, I just liked the matchup better than Winston's and the other free agent QBs in my league. Home game, Titans just let a struggling Seahawks offense carve them up and this one could end up being pretty high scoring. Although with some of the wacky games this year it could end up being a 17-10 slugfest too. The O/U of 44 surprised me a little, even with Houston's strong D. 

 

I'm a little apprehensive about starting him but on paper this looks to be a great matchup. We'll see. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Loved this kid in college, and with stories like the one posted above, it's hard not to root for his success. 

 

I've bought into him in a couple leagues as a backup/fill-in. He's a rookie, so it'd be tough to rely solely on him, but he could definitely help out in certain spots. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, TTo34 said:

Gave his first paycheck to cafeteria workers to help in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey.  Good on you buddy.

 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20841443/deshaun-watson-houston-texans-donates-game-check-three-women-impacted-hurricane-harvey

 

claimed by me this morning in one league (Cousins is my starter) - this story pushed me over the top.

 

hard to get behind some if the knuckleheads in this league, but, when a kid like this comes along, it's special.  

 

wish him all the best ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/27/2017 at 3:27 PM, jtbgator said:

 

I agree with you Cleats, Watson is definitely improving. But I think Wentz is the superior FF player.

 

For comparison purposes:

 

Wentz

Week 1 - 25 ff pts

Week 2 - 31 ff pts

Week 3 - 16 ff pts

72 total ff pts | 24 avg ppg

 

Watson

Week 1 - 8 ff pts

Week 2 - 19 ff pts

Week 3 - 24 ff pts

51 total ff pts | 17 avg ppg

 

Not trying to prove a point, just sharing the stats. I do love Watson's rushing ability (leads all QB's so far this year with 124 total rushing yards). Wentz can also run, he ranks 5th in the league with 84 total rushing yards.

 

FWIW, I tried to grab Watson as my Rodgers back up but wasn't successful. Good luck with Watson, you made a good call on picking him up now. I was about a week late.

 

I agree with a lot of what you said. The Eagles have passed on over 65% of all plays this year. They've passed on over 80% of their redzone plays. That makes me really like Wentz over Watson, but I am still debating whether I should drop Wentz for Watson. It's tough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, ColKurtz said:

I dropped Siemien for him, against my better judgement, and starting him this week over Ben on the road. He's like a Tyrod but in a better team with better receivers. 

 

Exactly.  Taylor has JMatthews, Zay Jones, and Clay basically to throw to. Shady gets his share of dump,offs too.

 

Watson has Nuke and now speedy Fuller, so clearly he has the better WRs. Do I think TT is better just because Watson is a rookie? That is the question we have to decide for ourselves. I strongly believe Watson is much better than TT, but being a rookie makes you hold back.  Yet he did play like a vet against Patriots and Zak Prescott was an awesome rookie who never won the Heissman. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, CamNewton said:

 

I agree with a lot of what you said. The Eagles have passed on over 65% of all plays this year. They've passed on over 80% of their redzone plays. That makes me really like Wentz over Watson, but I am still debating whether I should drop Wentz for Watson. It's tough.

 

I also have Wentz and Taylor.  I'm not dropping Wentz for Watson but rather am debating dropping Taylor.  I really do believe Watson is that special, rookie or not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree Watson has some nice weapons to work with and plays with a good defense that will give him more opportunities/plays to generate points. My one concern is if we think this will be a competitive/low scoring game. I'm afraid it will just be a typical Texans 17-10 game and Watson throws for 150 yards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, jimithing11 said:

 

 

I agree Watson has some nice weapons to work with and plays with a good defense that will give him more opportunities/plays to generate points. My one concern is if we think this will be a competitive/low scoring game. I'm afraid it will just be a typical Texans 17-10 game and Watson throws for 150 yards

 

but he had those same stats (150 pass yds) in a similar game (17-10) vs. Cinci and still put up 19 pts - the wheels make him special. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, CamNewton said:

 

I agree with a lot of what you said. The Eagles have passed on over 65% of all plays this year. They've passed on over 80% of their redzone plays. That makes me really like Wentz over Watson, but I am still debating whether I should drop Wentz for Watson. It's tough.

Don’t drop Wentz 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/28/2017 at 12:58 AM, mjagger42 said:

 I can't recall another rookie QB I've ever started in close to 20 years of fantasy football. 

...

I'm a little apprehensive about starting him but on paper this looks to be a great matchup. We'll see. 

 

He reminds me of Cam a little, insomuch that I never thought Cam would be relevant his rookie year just like I thought Watson would be irrelevant this year. Let’s hope that I am wrong for the same reason I was with Cam, in that Watson’s running ability will provide a nice floor for an otherwise struggling QB — a trait that is particularly advantageous in standard 4pt passing leagues

 

Not asking for Cam’s rookie season by any means, as I really only need middle of the road production from my QB 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel like people are overthinking this. :) 

 

Watson had 20+ fantasy points (depending on scoring system) playing on the road, AT New England, in his *second* NFL start as a rookie against the defending Superbowl champs and facing a pretty smart coach who knows how to focus on a team's weaknesses.

 

Watson excelled both in real life and in fantasy despite not having a legit second WR. Will he get better or worse from here, when facing a team like the Titans that got lit up by the Raiders? (The same Raiders that got completely shut down by ... wait for it ... the Washington Redskins.)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

 

 

yeah, as much i dig the Watson spec, no way in hell i would drop Wentz if i had him. 

 

I feel like it's a toss-up. The conventional thinking would be to go with the second-year player Wentz over a rookie like Watson.

 

Assuming you're in the hunt and the playoffs matter, both QBs have tough Week 15 matchups: Wentz @ Giants and Watson @ Jaguars.

 

But, both have lovely Week 16 matchups:  Wentz vs Oakland and Watson vs Pittsburgh.

 

I'd rather have Watson for the all important championship week. But that's because I think that Philly can beat Oakland in Week 16 without a lot of passing, while Watson will need to keep up with the Steelers by running, passing, and scoring a lot.

 

I actually have no clue, but that's why we play this game, right? :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...