NBC Sports Edge Forums

Corey Davis Season Outlook 2017

11 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

How many WRs with this kind of upside are available for $1-2 at the end of auctions or around pick 100 in drafts (I got him in MFL 10s at 9.02 and 9.09)?  Not many IMO.  Sure he could bust but at his price (MFL ADP is #95 as WR37 but that's fluffed up by dynasty drafts; more realistic is WR45 to WR47, which is where I got him) you're picking between him, Thielen, Jordan Matthews, Marvin Jones, Kenny Britt, etc.  I'd rather gamble on Davis as my 5th WR.

Agree man. He was the 5th WR I took in my draft (Jordy, Pryor, K. Benjamin, Britt, C. Davis, Golladay)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/29/2017 at 10:50 AM, TomisTerrific said:

It sucks but he's practically suspended for 3 weeks. Cannot start him, even in plus matchups until we see something. It's kind of creating a log jam situation with my receivers. 

His ADP is about round 10 (WR4-WR5). I don't think anyone should be starting him this early. I'm hoping that you drafted him as a backup this early in the season...right?

Edited by nonstopfan

I know this is a run-first team, that seems to spread the ball around, but one point I want to make is about Mularkey.

Mularkey showed last season to have trust in a rookie in Tarjae Sharpe, who seems irrelevant this year, but also Mularkey was OC in Atlanta in 2011, when he instilled faith in a rookie Julio (a better talent than Davis, though) and let him fly and produce a top-10 season.

On 9/2/2017 at 11:32 PM, nonstopfan said:

His ADP is about round 10 (WR4-WR5). I don't think anyone should be starting him this early. I'm hoping that you drafted him as a backup this early in the season...right?

Yes, I drafted him in the 14th round hoping by week 5 he will be ballin' 

wishful thinkimg, I know. 

On 8/28/2017 at 2:46 PM, RUGOO said:

id keep this guy on my bench as long as possible, would hate to see him blow up mid season when i had a chance to have him.  watching the titans preseason they need this guy now. 

Thats the question- how long can you hold him. 

Im a little bummed I wasn't able to draft him but also thinking he might get dropped when the bye weeks start and he gets off to a predictably slow start. 

Just now, AroundTheHorn said:

Dude is wr1 and has shown flashes. Not so sure Corey puts up even the same stats this year.

I very much doubt he comes anywhere close to last year's numbers with the new talent added at WR but to each his own.

10 minutes ago, AroundTheHorn said:

I may have to drop considering I have two other titan receivers I'm not starting. Sucks but can't drop those two. What if this kid turns out to be Odell 2.0? Ugh.

General rule of thumb is that if you regret doing something as you're doing it...

Don't do it.

Rookie stats of all the WRs taken in the top five since 2010:

Amari Cooper (2015): 72/1070/6

Sammy Watkins (2014): 65/982/6

Justin Blackmon (2012): 64/865/5

AJ Green (2011): 65/1057/7

That averages out to:  67/994/6

While Davis may be more in the Blackmon category of prospect than the Green/Watkins/Cooper category, he is also entering what should be the most favorable environment for a WR out of anyone on that list.

41 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

Rookie stats of all the WRs taken in the top five since 2010:

Amari Cooper (2015): 72/1070/6

Sammy Watkins (2014): 65/982/6

Justin Blackmon (2012): 64/865/5

AJ Green (2011): 65/1057/7

That averages out to:  67/994/6

While Davis may be more in the Blackmon category of prospect than the Green/Watkins/Cooper category, he is also entering what should be the most favorable environment for a WR out of anyone on that list.

I don't really remember what situations the other guys were in but what about the Titans makes CD's situation better?

35 minutes ago, JSA2422 said:

I don't really remember what situations the other guys were in but what about the Titans makes CD's situation better?

Mularkey. I posted yesterday that Mike Mularkey was the OC in Atlanta during Julio's rookie season where he was a WR1. However, I dug back a bit on his coaching record. He was the head coach in Buffalo in 2004 when they drafted Lee Evans 13th overall. Evans would post a 48-848-9 stat line as a rookie, which was good for WR3 territory that year. 

Mularkey was also the head coach in Jacksonville during Blackmon's rookie season where he finished in WR3 territory.

Some other non-rookie receivers who had some of their best years or breakout seasons under Mularkey were Hines Ward, Plaxico Burress, Wes Welker and Roddy White. Ward and Burress completely broke-out when he was OC in Pittsburgh. Welker would lead his Miami offense in receptions, only to leave after that year and continue to lead the league in that category. Roddy White was just very consistent WR1 under him.

Overall, Mularkey seems very experienced with having highly drafted WRs excel in his offense, even as rookies.

Edited by NJLionsFan
51 minutes ago, JSA2422 said:

First, all of those teams were actually bad enough (with the exception of the Bills who traded up from 8 to 4) to have a top 5 pick while the Titans only had that pick due to their trade with the Rams last year.

Cooper - played with a promising QB in Carr but Carr finally made the jump last year, not during Cooper's rookie season.

Watkins - low volume passing offense with average QB

Blackmon - Blane Gabbert and Chad Henne were his QBs

AJ Green - played with a rookie QB

Davis is entering an offense on the rise, with a young QB going into his 3rd year who just threw for 26 TDs, and who has a giant opening for a #1 WR.  I don't think he is the same level of talent as Cooper/Watkins/Green but the upside is pretty tremendous relative to his price.

1 hour ago, Cheese Sandwich said:

Going to be hard to stash in shallower redraft leagues. The early schedule is pretty rough. WK1 Oak has a bad secondary, but difficult to imagine he makes an impact so early. WK2 @Jax, WK3 Sea, and WK4 @Hou are all tough matchups. 

Don't sleep on this guy, He looks like a beefed up Odell on tape. Tennessee burned a top 5 draft pick on him and reports out of camp was that he was hands down the best WR on the team already before the hammy injury. 

1 hour ago, Cheese Sandwich said:

Going to be hard to stash in shallower redraft leagues. The early schedule is pretty rough. WK1 Oak has a bad secondary, but difficult to imagine he makes an impact so early. WK2 @Jax, WK3 Sea, and WK4 @Hou are all tough matchups. 

A hard stash but a must-stash: having not worked with the offense, we can't expect much, but by mid-season may be the #1 target of a high-volume offense. The early weeks, we might expect key defensive backs to focus on Decker, and possibly even RMatthews (who is not the slouch he's often portrayed as), a time for Davis to become a Titan. By mid-season, once Davis has the offense's rhythm and Mariota's trust, it'll be a rare DB who can cover him. And we're looking at Colts, Browns, Ravens, Bengals, AND COLTS AGAIN. A nice stretch (considering Ravens and Bengals have stouter LBs than DBs). My two cents.

1 minute ago, mmcc1029 said:

Don't sleep on this guy, He looks like a beefed up Odell on tape. Tennessee burned a top 5 draft pick on him and reports out of camp was that he was hands down the best WR on the team already before the hammy injury. 

Agreed. Trade for him during the first three weeks.

Corey-Davis.gif