NBC Sports Edge Forums

Corey Davis Season Outlook 2017

It is notable that although rookie Corey Davis managed to snag just three of seven targets, he did lead all Titans receivers with 54 of a possible 65 snaps on the night. He looks to be still working on developing his craft, but Davis will be a stud in due time.”

Due time? That’s as vague as you can get and helps no one figure out what to do with him THIS YEAR. For me, I dropped him for a 2nd QB heading into the playoffs. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, dashoe said:

I have that feeling that both teams are going to try and run the ball down the other throat and titans will play catchup in the 4th qtr

I was absolutely wrong about both teams trying to run the ball, only 1 team did and they did try to play catch up and they lost the game.

I couldnt even evaluate Davis but I was able to evaluate a QB who had a terrible game and a coaching staff that never adjusted properly as the game started to get away.

You should be able to transistion from a slow clock killing running game to an up tempo 2 min offense when you trail by a couple f scores and the clock is not in your favor and the run game isnt working.

You have to bring your best when u play pitt at home

Edited by dashoe
16 hours ago, Chippa said:

lol whatever, man. You just said that Matthews is Mariota's number 1 TARGET. I corrected you by saying that Davis is the number 1 target, which you follow up with, "Targets,maybe". Sooo I'm right

You were right about the targets, maybe i shouldn't have used that word but i would rather have Matthews or Walker in my lineup instead of Davis

1 hour ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Rookie

Mediocre passing game

Run first offense

A lot of competition for targets 

For fantasy purposes in 2017 - I just don’t see it. Not a knock on him - I just don’t see a “breakout” coming as long as Decker, Mathews, Walker are also getting a big share of the targets 

Been watching the Titans play at football all season, and I'm thinking Decker is the only outlier here: Mathews and Walker are the primary targets as both have the chemistry with Mariota. Last night's game was no surprise: Walker had a ton of targets, Mathews had solid targets and made the plays (as he's done for the past 20 games, give or take), and the Steelers shut down much of the offense because they're a good D (despite the injuries to the secondary, the Steelers are a well-constructed defense).

Benching Davis last night was a no-brainer (or playing him was a desperation play), but coming up the Titans face the Colts, Texans, Cardinals, 49ers. I see Davis as being viable for all four of these games and we can expect a breakout soon, most likely next week. If Peterson covers RMatthews (as he should), Davis should do well vs the Cardinals. Also, I realize Walker plays while injured (because he's a warrior), but several times last night he seemed hobbled, and while JSmith is good he won't receive the Walker's number of targets should Walker sit for a while; should be distributed more evenly, if anything heavier towards Davis.

We were hoping Mariota would improve with his healed hamstring and with Davis adding some speed and play-making  ability to the offense.  Based on that game, it doesn't look like it's going to happen.  Bear in mind that the Steelers pass defense has been elite this season.  Without question, Mariota and Davis deserve one last look against Indy.  But his WR1 ceiling is definitely no longer possible.

I didn't see anyone comment on Davis' sideline grab.  That was a thing of beauty.  This guy will be a star eventually.

3 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

Been watching the Titans play at football all season, and I'm thinking Decker is the only outlier here: Mathews and Walker are the primary targets as both have the chemistry with Mariota. Last night's game was no surprise: Walker had a ton of targets, Mathews had solid targets and made the plays (as he's done for the past 20 games, give or take), and the Steelers shut down much of the offense because they're a good D (despite the injuries to the secondary, the Steelers are a well-constructed defense).

Benching Davis last night was a no-brainer (or playing him was a desperation play), but coming up the Titans face the Colts, Texans, Cardinals, 49ers. I see Davis as being viable for all four of these games and we can expect a breakout soon, most likely next week. If Peterson covers RMatthews (as he should), Davis should do well vs the Cardinals. Also, I realize Walker plays while injured (because he's a warrior), but several times last night he seemed hobbled, and while JSmith is good he won't receive the Walker's number of targets should Walker sit for a while; should be distributed more evenly, if anything heavier towards Davis.

1. they could also run all over indy / SF

2. texans/cardinals still have enough talent on D to present problems

3. if walker gets hurt he may become the 3rd best option in an offense that averages 200 yards passing per game?

3 minutes ago, Nap Time said:

We were hoping Mariota would improve with his healed hamstring and with Davis adding some speed and play-making  ability to the offense.  Based on that game, it doesn't look like it's going to happen.  Bear in mind that the Steelers pass defense has been elite this season.  Without question, Mariota and Davis deserve one last look against Indy.  But his WR1 ceiling is definitely no longer possible. Haden out, elite pass defense not needed with MM throwing the ball directly to defenders (twice).

I didn't see anyone comment on Davis' sideline grab.  That was a thing of beauty.  This guy will be a star eventually.

issue with titans is they firmly believe in using both rb's almost every snap.  when they need change of play then just dump to walker or matthews/decker.  Davis played 54 of 6x snaps but by the time he got any constant looks he was done with all the route running, and this happened with Steelers top CB's being out.  Not looking good for Davis.

Edited by ColdRain
1 minute ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

1. they could also run all over indy / SF

2. texans/cardinals still have enough talent on D to present problems

3. if walker gets hurt he may become the 3rd best option in an offense that averages 200 yards passing per game?

1. good point about the 49ers. (Though the Titans are still waiting to see what the first round pick is capable of... still, they might see that next week vs. the Colts)

2. I disagree. The secondaries of both of these teams are funnels. They rot.

3. another good point, and he might even be tied with DMurray for targets (Murray received more than his share last night). But against defenses weak against the pass, I expect Davis to do well. He's been on my bench all season, and I wouldn't consider it hype-train talk to suggest he's a solid play vs the Colts.

16 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

1. good point about the 49ers. (Though the Titans are still waiting to see what the first round pick is capable of... still, they might see that next week vs. the Colts)

2. I disagree. The secondaries of both of these teams are funnels. They rot.

3. another good point, and he might even be tied with DMurray for targets (Murray received more than his share last night). But against defenses weak against the pass, I expect Davis to do well. He's been on my bench all season, and I wouldn't consider it hype-train talk to suggest he's a solid play vs the Colts.

He could be a “solid play” ... much like Decker, Walker, Mathews, Murray, ... , ... , ...

Oh, look!

Typical "Rotoworld overreact after a player has a bad game" going on in this thread.

Seems that everyone is discounting the fact that everyone except for the "experts" who post on these forums was down on the kid going into this week, and everyone outside of people on these forums knew he was a bench going against this Steelers pass defense at home

If you started him you have nobody to blame but yourself. Everyone discounted the Steelers pass D because of their schedule but guess what! They're the real deal. Just because they shut down crap quarterbacks doesn't mean they aren't shutdown period. 

You came into this matchup knowing it was a tough start and if you gambled it didn't pay off. He is definitely not a drop if you've held him this long. If you do drop him, I hope someone in your league picks him up and he goes off. This Steelers D has been top 5 all season long. 

I picked up Coleman over Davis, looks like I made the right decision...

We’ve seen the coaching for the Titans return to the mean... they’re just not very good.

I realize the irony of comparing them to the Browns... but I’d rather bet on the Browns featuring Coleman.