NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Corey Davis Season Outlook 2017

1 minute ago, seanismorris said:

I picked up Coleman over Davis, looks like I made the right decision...

We’ve seen the coaching for the Titans return to the mean... they’re just not very good.

I realize the irony of comparing them to the Browns... but I’d rather bet on the Browns featuring Coleman.

Can't really blame the coaches for running more than throwing.

Mariota looks like he regressed (similar to Bortles a couple years ago).

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I was one who definitely did not feel good about playing CD this week because even though Haden was out, I respected Pitts defense and them being at home too much. 

However, there was some disturbing points that should be considered:

1. Matthews is their number one WR, not CD. This should help against Arizona so maybe Peterson covers Matthews

2. Walker will definitely get his food

3. CD had 7 targets with only 3 catches....this troubles me. How come less than 50%? 

4. Tenn does not seem as effective if they are not running the ball all day long, killing clock, to keep their weak defense off the field

Conclusion:  we all need to wait one more week against a favorable matchup to have something more definitive to conclude, but after this game, I don’t think anyone can really know what to think about CD.  And if you pressed me to say something, I would have to say CD may not be the guy we had hoped for.....this year for sure.  Mediocre at best, certainly not a 1 or 2 guy. 

49 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

the Steelers shut down much of the offense because they're a good D (despite the injuries to the secondary, the Steelers are a well-constructed defense).

Their front seven is unreal.  Reminds me a lot of the Philadelphia Eagles: don't have much in the secondary, but that doesn't matter much because of all the chaos the DL and LBs cause to the OL and QB.

2 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

Well, I was one who definitely did not feel good about playing CD this week because even though Haden was out, I respected Pitts defense and them being at home too much. 

However, there was some disturbing points that should be considered:

1. Matthews is their number one WR, not CD. This should help against Arizona so maybe Peterson covers Matthews

2. Walker will definitely get his food

3. CD had 7 targets with only 3 catches....this troubles me. How come less than 50%? 

4. Tenn does not seem as effective if they are not running the ball all day long, killing clock, to keep their weak defense off the field

Conclusion:  we all need to wait one more week against a favorable matchup to have something more definitive to conclude, but after this game, I don’t think anyone can really know what to think about CD.  And if you pressed me to say something, I would have to say CD may not be the guy we had hoped for.....this year for sure.  Mediocre at best, certainly not a 1 or 2 guy. 

Per 3: Mariota threw a lot of bad passes Davis' way last night, in addition to one that bounced (?) off of Davis' hands and was interecepted (I put a question mark because I'm unsure if the Pitt D player had good coverage or if Davis just dropped it).

Per 4: They are definitely a run first team, without a doubt.

Edited by oliminator123

2 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Marioh-ta sucks and so does the playcalling.  Not putting their best playmakers in a good position to make plays.

Marioh-ta sucks and so does the playcalling.  Not putting their best playmakers in a good position to make plays.

4 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Per 3: Mariota threw a lot of bad passes Davis' way last night, in addition to one that bounced (?) off of Davis' hands and was interecepted (I put a question mark because I'm unsure if the Pitt D player had good coverage or if Davis just dropped it).

Per 4: They are definitely a run first team, without a doubt.

Thanks Guys. I didn’t watch the game so I was wondering.  Oh my.......I’m definitely more concerned now. 

You know a team is not going to be a trustworthy offense when they call 3 timeouts on defense at the end of the half to get the ball back and  then proceed to run it twice and throw a WR screen for a grand total of zero yards (and proceed to give the ball back to the Steelers with enough time for them to kick a FG). It's a team that plays not to lose.

I still think Davis is a player to own, especially in dynasty/keeper leagues but I am still not ready to start him. 

2 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

You know a team is not going to be a trustworthy offense when they call 3 timeouts on defense at the end of the half to get the ball back and  then proceed to run it twice and throw a WR screen for a grand total of zero yards (and proceed to give the ball back to the Steelers with enough time for them to kick a FG). It's a team that plays not to lose.

I still think Davis is a player to own, especially in dynasty/keeper leagues but I am still not ready to start him. 

My confidence has been shaken now so I’m not sure. I’m Wondering if maybe I should grab Paul Richardson and drop CD today....but what holds me back is CD’s ROS.

I have to be patient....I have to be patient.....I have to be patient

Edited by TennisMenace

21 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Oh, look!

Typical "Rotoworld overreact after a player has a bad game" going on in this thread.

Seems that everyone is discounting the fact that everyone except for the "experts" who post on these forums was down on the kid going into this week, and everyone outside of people on these forums knew he was a bench going against this Steelers pass defense at home

If you started him you have nobody to blame but yourself. Everyone discounted the Steelers pass D because of their schedule but guess what! They're the real deal. Just because they shut down crap quarterbacks doesn't mean they aren't shutdown period. 

You came into this matchup knowing it was a tough start and if you gambled it didn't pay off. He is definitely not a drop if you've held him this long. If you do drop him, I hope someone in your league picks him up and he goes off. This Steelers D has been top 5 all season long. 

Meh, those guys are consistently wrong and condescending. I own him in all 3 of my leagues (two are keeper leagues) and was very very close to starting him this week but was talked out of it by my partner. He got 10 targets last week and 7 this week. There was ZERO wrong with starting him and he is  going to break out one of these weeks. But for now, he is a boom/bust type option at this point. 

4 minutes ago, FSJSteel said:

Why are people surprised a young, banged up QB had a bad game on the road against a good defense, in cold & windy conditions, on a Thursday night?

people like to pile on mariota but davis didn't look like anything special last night either. very lethargic, not quick to the ball at all. didn't see anything out of him that warranted a top 5 draft pick, at least not yet

5 minutes ago, FSJSteel said:

Why are people surprised a young, banged up QB had a bad game on the road against a good defense, in cold & windy conditions, on a Thursday night?

This was pre forecast, no one hear listens, this place must be filled with losers lol where are the winners around here?? I need to follow them

Droppable. I'm still holding everywhere I have him, because the potential is still there, but so far unrealized potential is all we have. Yes, lots of almosts, plenty targets, undeniable talent, but all that amounts to is potential. No free agents in my leagues have the same potential, so I'm holding, but especially in redrafts he's on short list if a must-add player comes along. Again, just saying he's droppable, not a must drop, and I have him everywhere I could get him.

Just now, lolcopter said:

people like to pile on mariota but davis didn't look like anything special last night either. very lethargic, not quick to the ball at all. didn't see anything out of him that warranted a top 5 draft pick, at least not yet

Antonio Brown in his rookie year played 9 games and had 16 catches. Granted,  he was a 6th round pick, but rookie WRs tend to take a while to develop. Even AJ Green who had a nice Rookie year, had only 4 games with 6 or more catches. 

I think the big plays/TDs will come, but he will not be a consistent producer the rest of the year. 

There was enough evidence here to start him as a WR3/flex due to target share and opportunity. The matchup wasn't ideal, but Pittsburgh was springing leaks all over the place with 300 yards of passing allowed. I know game script wasn't favorable, but the yards were still dropped.

It just happened that Matthews decided to have a 80 yard TD and Mariota made a good throw, but then Mariota literally killed drives with 3 stupid INT's, with the 4th being a debatable one due to people blaming Davis for him.

I started him. I trusted the process. It didn't work out. I feel terrible because I watched Ben and Boswell go apecrap on me and also watched my Bell get robbed of a TD. Just a bad night. Time to move on.

Odds are, a lot of people who started him had to start him out of necessity. My waiver wire is bare. You think I wanted to start Perine, Ebron, Cole Beasley, or Bruce Ellington over him? Seriously?

The Titans team are a true fraud, and I have no confidence starting Davis again until he shows a 7-80-1 type of game. Could be next week, but he's shown nothing to gamble it.

Edited by PlayTheWaivers

18 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

I think that was the argument against him and williams

5 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Odds are, a lot of people who started him had to start him out of necessity. My waiver wire is bare. You think I wanted to start Perine, Ebron, Cole Beasley, or Bruce Ellington over him? Seriously?

This. I started him over Watkins and Djax because they didn't seem like great options and his target share has been trending up as of late. In retrospect I obviously made a mistake, but it wasn't like some insane roster decision at the time. If you benched a Dez Bryant for him, then you made a mistake. No one predicted such a turd of a game. I at least thought some garbage time points would be in store for Corey Davis if they fell behind like they did.

On another note, I know a lot of people are imploring to hold but we have 5 weeks left in the season. Not a lot of time left for him to 'breakout' at this point.

16 minutes ago, Ryedog87 said:

I started CD in both my leagues just because mixon and Darkwa didn't have good matchups. I wouldn't drop him as I think he may start going off. Don't overreact to one bad game against a solid D. Mathews scored against a blown coverage so I'm not worried. 

He looked slow and raw to me.  Combined with the fact that Mariota is looking awful, I don't think it will be hard to find an upgrade off of the wire next week.