Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Joe Mixon 2017 Outlook


Recommended Posts

Talent: Best RB in the class

Situation: unknown offensive line, Gio Bernard may steal passing work

 

I have Joe Mixon fighting McCaffrey for my top rookie RB spot. I think Mixon has RB1 potential right away and is a lock for goal line work, something I question with McCaffrey. When it comes down to it, it's a flip of the coin for me. Mixon just has a certain punch McCaffrey lacks.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, CL3VELANDBR0WNS said:

Talent: Best RB in the class

Situation: unknown offensive line, Gio Bernard may steal passing work

 

I have Joe Mixon fighting McCaffrey for my top rookie RB spot. I think Mixon has RB1 potential right away and is a lock for goal line work, something I question with McCaffrey. When it comes down to it, it's a flip of the coin for me. Mixon just has a certain punch McCaffrey lacks.

 

 

3a4690406929afd8bdc3972df9bf0368_image-c

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've got my top five ranked like this:
 

1.01 - Fournette - Landed in the ideal spot where the offense if going to flow through him on the ground.  Clear cut goal line back will translate into top 5 RB fantasy production at some point.

 

1.02 - McCaffrey - Again, landed in the ideal spot where his overall ability in both the run and pass game are going to be on display.  Gets a knock down if not in PPR league, but in PPR league, he's my nbr 2

 

1.03 - Cory Davis - See a theme here?  TEN found it's go to WR1 if the foot injury works out - therein lies the risk, that damn foot injury
 

I have been struggling with 1.04 and 1.05 but have settled on this ranking.

 

1.04 - Mixon - The off field issue is a concern, knocking him to 4 for me as there will always be a risk that he finds himself in a less than stellar situation and ends up on the street like many other NFL players.  That said, he seems to be saying and doing the right things and have been 'clean' since 2014
 

1.05 - Cook - Ranking Cook after Mixon based on his off field issues (longer rap sheet than Mixon) and injury history

Edited by Bill's Blitzkrieg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6'0" 228, all the speed, power, agility, and hands you could want out of a running back. He's the best offensive weapon in this draft class in my eyes. 

 

But man.. . I just wish his situation was better.  Line is bad. Hill will steal some goal line. Gio will steal some passing work. They'll probably throw more than they run, being a bad team that needs to play catch up. 

 

I have no idea where to draft him or what to project. I think if he fell to the fifth or sixth I'd have to give him a shot as my flex just out of masochistic curiosity. Probably won't own him much, but will be watching closely.  Best of luck to owners everywhere. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

6'0" 228, all the speed, power, agility, and hands you could want out of a running back. He's the best offensive weapon in this draft class in my eyes. 

 

But man.. . I just wish his situation was better.  Line is bad. Hill will steal some goal line. Gio will steal some passing work. They'll probably throw more than they run, being a bad team that needs to play catch up. 

 

I have no idea where to draft him or what to project. I think if he fell to the fifth or sixth I'd have to give him a shot as my flex just out of masochistic curiosity. Probably won't own him much, but will be watching closely.  Best of luck to owners everywhere. 

 

Can easily finish as an RB1 this year, but the OL is definitely a concern. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Will get every opportunity to start and play a lot.  You don't draft this guy in rd 2 with all the the off-field issues and bad PR to sit him behind the season-by-season declining talent (JHill) and solid but coming off a late season serious injury player (Gio).  A lot will happen between now and week 1 but as of now, Fournette's the only other RB from this class that you can safely assume will see more touches than Mixon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:07 AM, Bill's Blitzkrieg said:

I've got my top five ranked like this:
 

 

 

1.02 - McCaffrey - DID NOT land in the ideal spot where his overall ability in both the run and pass game are going to be on display.  Gets a knock down if not in PPR league, but in PPR league, he's my nbr 2

 

Fixed. One of the worst landing spots. QB is terrible & completes 50% of his passes, will steal TDs inside the 5,

INDY would have been an ideal landing spot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, J.T. Marlin said:

Will get every opportunity to start and play a lot.  You don't draft this guy in rd 2 with all the the off-field issues and bad PR to sit him behind the season-by-season declining talent (JHill) and solid but coming off a late season serious injury player (Gio).  A lot will happen between now and week 1 but as of now, Fournette's the only other RB from this class that you can safely assume will see more touches than Mixon.

 

I expect Mixon to get more touches than Fournette, largely because Bernard may start the year on PUP (ACL tear) and Mixon is an elite receiving RB unlike Fournette. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, FavreCo said:

Fixed. One of the worst landing spots. QB is terrible & completes 50% of his passes, will steal TDs inside the 5,

INDY would have been an ideal landing spot.

Newton is one of the best QBs in the league but he is not a check down machine. The line is also horrible.
I tend to have mixed emotions about his landing spot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

 

DQ3Rx.gif

 

Yes I do, because I've researched the PPG value of every RB season-end rank for PPR.  So yes, given the PPG required from RBs who are in the #8-12 range overall, Mixon can certainly achieve that if he plays 16 games this year. He's that good. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

 

Yes I do, because I've researched the PPG value of every RB season-end rank for PPR.  So yes, given the PPG required from RBs who are in the #8-12 range overall, Mixon can certainly achieve that if he plays 16 games this year. He's that good. 

 

 

I love Mixon this year. Hopefully the "off-field concerns" push him back further in the draft. He has more upside than Gurley, Ajayi, Ware, Howard, Coleman, CJA, Miller, etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 team standard, what rounds do Fournette, Mixon, and McCaffrey go? Realizing of course alot may change/develop before the season. My thought is Fournette in 2nd or 3rd, McCaffrey 4th or 5th, Mixon close behind (assuming Hill stays put in Cincy)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, GueroG said:

10 team standard, what rounds do Fournette, Mixon, and McCaffrey go? Realizing of course alot may change/develop before the season. My thought is Fournette in 2nd or 3rd, McCaffrey 4th or 5th, Mixon close behind (assuming Hill stays put in Cincy)

 10 team std?  those seem to be aggressive reaches  can't imagine fournette going before the 4th and mcsffrey and mixon before 10th rd

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think a differentiation between year end stats and whose more impactful once the season is rolling needs to be had.

 

 

For someone who makes playoffs consistently, I believe Mixon will be more impactful heading into the fantasy playoffs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/30/2017 at 8:07 PM, FreakFries said:

Hopefully preseason provides some clarity. Hopefully  this turns in to a Jordan Howard situation where he is just too good to take off the field. We need some more RBs this year!

 

Howard had an excellent O-line.  Langford averages 1 ypc less with the same blocking.

CIN might have THE worst o-line in the league this year.  Let the veterans take the hits.  Save the kid for next year when you get better blocking.  Call it "developing his pass protection".  Then you can dump both Hill and Gio.  He'll break out next season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, jmausen said:

 

Howard had an excellent O-line.  Langford averages 1 ypc less with the same blocking.

CIN might have THE worst o-line in the league this year.  Let the veterans take the hits.  Save the kid for next year when you get better blocking.  Call it "developing his pass protection".  Then you can dump both Hill and Gio.  He'll break out next season.

I disagree. There's no reason the Bengals can't be a playoff team this year so why waste Mixon for a year? Mixon theoretically gives the Bengals a better chance of winning right now than Hill and Gio do. Two years ago the Bengals won the AFC North with a 12-4 record and they've made the playoffs 6 of the last 8 years. If Mixon can be the difference maker they foresee, there's no reason not to start him now and see if can energize the offense. Putting him on the backburner doesn't make much sense to me. Although, to your point, they did the same thing with BGE and Gio/Hill so maybe it's their m.o. in situations like this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jmausen said:

 

Howard had an excellent O-line.  Langford averages 1 ypc less with the same blocking.

CIN might have THE worst o-line in the league this year.  Let the veterans take the hits.  Save the kid for next year when you get better blocking.  Call it "developing his pass protection".  Then you can dump both Hill and Gio.  He'll break out next season.

Agree 100%

 

Learn the nfl game, teach some humility and bring along slowly so there's little pressure to perform. Mixon's situation is going to bring enough heat off the field. If he blows up then feed him some more as the season progresses

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, howlin' 2 said:

Agree 100%

 

Learn the nfl game, teach some humility and bring along slowly so there's little pressure to perform. Mixon's situation is going to bring enough heat off the field. If he blows up then feed him some more as the season progresses

 

Zeke was in the IDEAL situation last year.

Best RB, meet best O-Line.

 

Same goes for Dak.  He would have been one of the 6 QBs Cleveland used in the first 5 weeks.  

Don't bother with any what-if Dak scenarios.  Dak in a Browns uniform sucks last year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...