NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Joe Mixon 2017 Outlook

Just now, 77georgec said:

I like your absolute outlandish claims that Mixon ( who so far looks,meh) with a poor oline is gonna light up Pitt. This will end up being a Bernard pass fest.

All signs are pointing up. He and the Bengals offense are improving each and every week. They will continue to get used to the new OC's play calls, and Dalton is looking like his old self, AJ Green is stretching the field. Bernard and Hill are still getting phased out. This is firmly Mixon's backfield. 

If you had watched any games of Mixon you'd know he absolutely does not look meh and has had vision similar to Le'Veon Bell; just not the opportunities with the line. But the Bengals are coming off of a bye and are likely to look like an improved unit, having a week off to work with the new OC.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, 77georgec said:

I like your absolute outlandish claims that Mixon ( who so far looks,meh) with a poor oline is gonna light up Pitt. This will end up being a Bernard pass fest.

what!? he looks awesome! any issues are due to the o-line and offensive scheming. 

that said... there are still question marks. I'm not excited, per say, to start him against Pittsburgh-- but 65 rushing yards, 20+ receiving yards, and a touchdown seem well within the realm of possibility.   Might not sound like a great game... but that's 14 standard fantasy points.. 

sure, there is a gross downside-- and also a lofty upside-- but what kind of better options do people have that they can keep him benched?

Oh what a matchup.  Don't be fooled by Hunt crashing back to earth in Week 6.  Cook went 12/64, Howard 23/138 & Cohen 12/78, Collins 9/82, Fournette 28/181, Ivory 8/41.  These guys are getting gashed up front and now Mixon comes to town to strap on the feed bag.

I'm expecting 15/84, two catches for another 25 yards, and a TD.

I'll update this thread with my projection for the second half of the game later this week.

21 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

I like the facts you used to back up your argument.

I have Mixon so no bias here, that being said he has not eclipsed 100 yards this season that is a fact... so I would not expect him to on the road v Pitt coming off a strong defensive showing. 

1 minute ago, lolcopter said:

Wouldn’t be surprised one bit if PITT goes with the same strategy they used to beat KC — give Bell the ball 30+ times and keep the opposing offense on the sidelines. At which point we all know which Bengal RB gains the most relevance for playing catch up

I wouldn't be surprised if PITT used the same strategy but they were only up 12-3 midway through the 4th quarter and then the game was 12-10. So it's not like they were blowing out the Chiefs and forcing them to abandon the run. Personally I have no clue why KC ditched the run so quickly. Point being, with the same game script as this, I don't suddenly see Mixon taking a backseat to Gio.

2 hours ago, 77georgec said:

I have Mixon. No way i'm starting him in a divisional game against Pitt. 100 yds? not a chance dude.

Why not? Dalvin Cook ran 12-64 on them...nice avg. Howard and Cohen ran all over them. Alex Collins averaged over 9 ypc. Fournette went all ham on Pittsburgh, and Ivory averaged over 5 ypc. Yes, they held Hunt in check Sunday, but this season has proven that they can be run on. 

I'm not going to say Mixon is going to top 100 yards, but I wouldn't doubt him having a solid game against them. 

6 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Why not? Dalvin Cook ran 12-64 on them...nice avg. Howard and Cohen ran all over them. Alex Collins averaged over 9 ypc. Fournette went all ham on Pittsburgh, and Ivory averaged over 5 ypc. Yes, they held Hunt in check Sunday, but this season has proven that they can be run on. 

I'm not going to say Mixon is going to top 100 yards, but I wouldn't doubt him having a solid game against them. 

dear lord please let this man be right

1 minute ago, NBatum88 said:

dear lord please let this man be right

I'm hoping for a solid game, too, lol. I need him to perform in my flex. I'm not bubbling with optimism because of his OL, but I do know that the Steelers have not been a good run defense this year. 

56 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Man.... its just that the Bengals line is so bad... I have Mixon and i hope he shows well but i just can't pull the trigger this weekend.

12 hours ago, 77georgec said:

Man.... its just that the Bengals line is so bad... I have Mixon and i hope he shows well but i just can't pull the trigger this weekend.

With that line, I can't fault you. I'm playing him, but I understand your apprehension. But if he does find room, Pittsburgh can be exploited on the ground. 

12 hours ago, 77georgec said:

True, but look at how they match up with PIT though.  CIN better in all run-blocking categories on Football Outsiders.  

I'm not saying start or sit.  Just pointing this one tidbit out.

PIT dline against run - 29 - 19 - 24 - 32

CIN oline running - 21 - 10 - 20 - 28

He'll continue to ride the bench until I'm sure he's the unequivocal guy in Cincinnati and he has production to match.

However, if needs must due to injuries and byes I think he'd be a fair flex option for the week. Protection of the football will decide that game this weekend. I expect both teams to run plenty. 

2 minutes ago, fjthegrey said:

He'll continue to ride the bench until I'm sure he's the unequivocal guy in Cincinnati and he has production to match.

However, if needs must due to injuries and byes I think he'd be a fair flex option for the week. Protection of the football will decide that game this weekend. I expect both teams to run plenty. 

He's received like 20 carries compared to an average of 5 for the other backs the past couple of games.