NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Joelioli said:

Mixon played well Week 7 in the touches he was given, draws a good matchup this week. Is there serious risk in starting him this week based on his comments to press? Would the coach actually be spiteful like that? I'm debating starting him over Doug Martin based on the matchups, but man it's a tough call...

I think they'll run it all over IND. Even though Mixon was out of line, I believe the coaching staff knows they need to run the ball more.

He was really good last week. They just need to feed him constantly. They'll start winning more.

I see one of 2 things happening here:

1) Lewis punishes Mixon and makes this a pure RBBC time-share between all 3 running backs. This would be a punishment because, prior to last week, Mixon was getting between 15-18 touches for a couple of games.

2) Lewis throws Mixon out to the dogs and runs him into the ground, testing to see what he can do. Either he excels and sticks with him, or Mixon falls flat and it becomes a strict RBBC.

There's absolutely no reason to believe they WILL start feeding him, if they do - awesome, but there's no evidence to suggest they will, and mixon's comments and Marv's subsequent reply cannot be realistically spun into a positive for mixon's outlook. If you see this situation another way i think you're looking through rose colored glasses 

1 minute ago, oliminator123 said:

I see one of 2 things happening here:

1) Lewis punishes Mixon and makes this a pure RBBC time-share between all 3 running backs. This would be a punishment because, prior to last week, Mixon was getting between 15-18 touches for a couple of games.

2) Lewis throws Mixon out to the dogs and runs him into the ground, testing to see what he can do. Either he excels and sticks with him, or Mixon falls flat and it becomes a strict RBBC.

Youre forgetting the 3rd and most likely outcome:  the comments have no influence on his workload and he gets his regular workload.

5 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

Youre forgetting the 3rd and most likely outcome:  the comments have no influence on his workload and he gets his regular workload.

Guess we will find out Sunday. If it was a veteran I could see him ignoring the comments. But the fact it was a rookie makes me think this won't just be thrown under the rug.

4 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

That's what I was going to say.

Honestly, if I wasn't reading this thread I wouldn't have even known about the comment he made.  I never saw it until I read somebody here talking about it.

And I haven't seen a big deal made of it anywhere else.

I'd be surprised if the comments impact his playing time much at all.  I think in theory they have to know that they need to do better on the ground and with the Colts being near the bottom of the league defending the run, it would make sense to attack them that way this weekend.

20 minutes ago, Anteater99 said:

There's absolutely no reason to believe they WILL start feeding him, if they do - awesome, but there's no evidence to suggest they will, and mixon's comments and Marv's subsequent reply cannot be realistically spun into a positive for mixon's outlook. If you see this situation another way i think you're looking through rose colored glasses 

im sure that will go over real well with the fanbase. A losing team who refuses to play their talented rb.

I know we all have our negative thoughts on Lewis but I'm clinging to the hope that at some point logic sets in with him. Lewis really only has his job because he keeps making the playoffs (because obviously succeeding in the playoffs hasn't been his thing). The team is 2-4 and 3rd worst in the conference. Not looking good. However, it's obviously very early and still time to turn things around. They are 2.5 games behind the Steelers in the division and 2 games behind the wild card. They can't afford to waste any time wining games. They won Weeks 4 and 5 giving Mixon an average of 18 touches. Hill is averaging 3.2ypc with a long of 13. Granted this whole Mixon/Hill thing is not the sole reason for their wins and losses but have to imagine at some point Lewis will put petty nonsense aside and do what's best for the team and that is just giving Mixon the touches he wants and honestly deserves (if only because he is better than Hill), which in turn is best for him in keeping his job. Unless he is really that confident in his job security that he is willing to just continue with this approach. Which in the case, the problem lies more with ownership then. If the owner truly is in the corner of Mixon, it's time to step up and force the issue.

why do some people think Mixon is going to ball against Indy? Indy's problem on defense is their secondary. They have a good run stopping defense. This is a game where the passing game will win the game for cincy

Edited by Chippa
31 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

You guys are blowing those comments way out of proportion. I really hate the internet sometimes

Lewis' comments?

You are probably right. It wasn't that bad. I think there is some deep resentment toward the guy, that manifests in different ways.

He could kill a wasp and we'd shout "Murderer!" 

4 minutes ago, Chippa said:

why do some people think Mixon is going to ball against Indy? Indy's problem on defense is their secondary. They have a good run stopping defense. This is a game where the passing game will win the game for cincy

26th against the run isn’t exactly good. #2 in fantasy points allowed to running backs. Really though the defense across the board is terrible. They are almost dead last in every single main defensive category.

7 minutes ago, Chippa said:

The last two games they made the Titans and Jags RBs look like world beaters

1 minute ago, DezBryant88 said:

26th against the run isn’t exactly good. #2 in fantasy points allowed to running backs. Really though the defense across the board is terrible. They are almost dead last in every single main defensive category.

wow I didnt even know that. I was just recalling their first 4 weeks or so where opposing RB's werent having much success. Still, Bengals run blocking is the absolute worst in the league, and they will win the game through the air

Edited by Chippa
1 minute ago, Chippa said:

wow I didnt even know that. I was just recalling their first 4 weeks or so where opposing RB's werent having much success. Still, Bengals run blocking is the absolute worst in the league, and they will win the game through the air

Could happen, I think Kroft benefits the most this week. Still though Mixon should find some lanes.. this whole workload issue is concerning in a way.

3 hours ago, tts42572 said:

I watched Emmitt Smith's a Football life last night and one thing that jumped out at me that he said.  It was during his rookie year and in the Cowboys first 10 games they only had a few wins and Emmitt had only gotten over 15 carries in a few of those games.  Eventually the Cowboys figured it out and started feeding Emmitt and won 4 games in a row with him carrying over 20 times in each game.

I know that's not exactly relevant, but for some reason it just made me think of Mixon while I was watching it.  They should be pounding him 15-20 times every game and it should start against the lowly Colts this week.  I just think that if they could establish Mixon as a real threat it really could open things up for Dalton and the passing game and let them use play action that they rarely seem to use.

I’m a Colts fan and I approve of this message

1 hour ago, Chippa said:

Colts got vontae back around week 4, i don't think they're as bad since then, but i don't know for sure because i don't care 

dealt him today. 

mixon is not the problem- the o line is horrible and if they haven't sorted out that inefficiency over the last 7 weeks it isn't going to get better. 

that 25 yard carry last week was a busted play where the o line couldn't open up the hole he was supposed to hit, ended up scrambling across the line of scrimmage and made positive yardage. 

kids a talent playing behind a garbage o line - what you see is what your going to get. 

dude last week was the only week they haven't force fed mixon the ball in abt a month. 

they have tried to establish him repeatedly- hitting your head repeatedly into a brick wall isn't going to knock the wall down. 

he is not the problem. Marv Lewis coupled with a weak o line makes mixon unstartable week to week. 

8 hours ago, omnom1337 said:

The following was taken about Martavis Bryant:

The Steelers could scheme him the ball a bit more Sunday night versus Detroit maybe to quiet Bryant down.

Bryant is now on the scouting team. If you take that as an example for Mixon, it doesn't look good.

Edited by Boudewijn