NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Joe Mixon 2017 Outlook

21 minutes ago, championship or bust said:

arguably the lease impressive if this years rb class. safe to say, all of the 2017 rookie rbs will be first round fantasy picks in 2018, except joey mixon.

numbers do not lie.

In Week 9, Mixon averaged 0.91 yards before contact per rush and was hit either at or behind the line of scrimmage on seven of his 13 rushes against Jacksonville. Mixon entered the game averaging 1.32 yards before contact per rush this season, 49th among 52 qualified rushers, so this has become a troubling trend for the rookie. 

You're right, numbers do not lie.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Anteater99 said:

anyone who is, at this point, blaming mixon and not the cinci o line can be wholly disregarded as out of touch with reality or willfully misinformed. those of us with a brain have known this all season.

You convinced me anty with great supporting facts. I’m just mad at myself for not seeking them out before I traded for him. 

Edited by TennisMenace

8 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

You convinced me anty with great supporting facts. I’m just mad at myself for not seeking them out before I traded for him. 

The stats about how bad the o line is are all over this thread, the one that really does it is mixons yards before first contact with a defender, i forgot what they call that. It's a pff stat

50 minutes ago, Anteater99 said:

anyone who is, at this point, blaming mixon and not the cinci o line can be wholly disregarded as out of touch with reality or willfully misinformed. those of us with a brain have known this all season.

Agree that most of the struggles can be put on the entire offense.  I thought Mixon was the most talented RB in this class and had him ranked as the #2 player overall but I have noticed that he goes for the big play a little too often and will miss some holes.

10 minutes ago, 77georgec said:

I want to.... right now i am debating sitting him for Marlon Mack. Steelers are gonna (should) smash the Colts and that may lead to more work for him.

Have there same decision but the colts are insistent on force feeding gore the ball no way you can trust Mack 

I know there's been a cloud of pessimism hanging over this thread for about 40 pages (and perhaps rightly so), but I believe in his potential to turn in a couple strong performances based on volume alone.

Another note: Cincy is 24th in Red Zone efficiency. I'm not saying they're a MAJOR TD regression candidate because, well, they suck. But we've seen this offense leave some gimmes on the table;  add one or two to Mixon's game logs and I'd imagine his prognosis would be very different in the minds of many. 

Edited by Queequeg

23 hours ago, Chwf3rd said:

Agree that most of the struggles can be put on the entire offense.  I thought Mixon was the most talented RB in this class and had him ranked as the #2 player overall but I have noticed that he goes for the big play a little too often and will miss some holes.

you thought mixon was more talented than leonard fournette? 

There are times Mixon tries to do to much

that said, blaming his underwhelming production on his talent-- rather than the o-line, system, and coaching-- is erroneous 

Here is what Mixon is capable of doing, when he isn't getting bottled up before he gets out of the backfield:

bounces outside for TD versus Buffalo

showing elite agility versus Tampa

Lev-bell-esque patience versus Green Bay

demonstrating that Madden 95 juke rating

did I say 95? I meant 97. love Collinsworth's reaction here.

not a huge gain-- but hard not to love the patience, then burst through the hole

piggy back ride for the top pick in the draft

weaving through the lanes

save the last dance

but one dance with Grandma!

open field skills

he a nasty man

showing why he's in the 91st speed percentile

next level athlete

like a water strider

I'm not saying Mixon will be great down the stretch, and I acknowledge that you could gather a similar collection of highlights, where he is getting stuffed behind the line, fumbling, or trying to bounce outside when it's not advisable. But to suggest he's a "bust" compared to the other rookie RB's-- who are in far superior situations-- seems short-sighted. For this season? Sure. But personally I think his production has actually been somewhat remarkable, given what he has to work with. The amount of plays that should be 1 yard gains, or 2 yard losses-- that he turns into 3-4 yard pickups-- is a testament to his knack for finding open space. Not only is he big and fast and agile- once he has a bit of space or momentum, he excels at maximizing yardage, and often gains an extra 2-3 yards just in the process of being tackled. He's like a... spacial genius or something.  

The fantasy production has been underwhelming-- I get it. For me, every week brings a feeling of "ehh... I guessss I'll start him." But it's rarely with great optimism. 

But I don't want to lose sight of what Joe Mixon can do on a football field, which is breathtaking. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

I have Mixon and have been holding. Drafted him 5th round. He has been disappointing. But is a steady fill in for bye week. Luckily the two times I played him he got over 10 points each time. But I believe he has little chance of a major change. The cinco o line combined with regression in Dalton makes the offense quite boring. He will find up 5th th on my team behind woodhead. I would cut him before woodhead in redraft leagues. In keeper or dynasty I'd hold him. Hopefully they spend collateral on o line and a qb.

1 hour ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

There are times Mixon tries to do to much

that said, blaming his underwhelming production on his talent-- rather than the o-line, system, and coaching-- is erroneous 

Here is what Mixon is capable of doing, when he isn't getting bottled up before he gets out of the backfield:

bounces outside for TD versus Buffalo

showing elite agility versus Tampa

Lev-bell-esque patience versus Green Bay

demonstrating that Madden 95 juke rating

did I say 95? I meant 97. love Collinsworth's reaction here.

not a huge gain-- but hard not to love the patience, then burst through the hole

piggy back ride for the top pick in the draft

weaving through the lanes

save the last dance

but one dance with Grandma!

open field skills

he a nasty man

showing why he's in the 91st speed percentile

next level athlete

like a water strider

I'm not saying Mixon will be great down the stretch, and I acknowledge that you could gather a similar collection of highlights, where he is getting stuffed behind the line, fumbling, or trying to bounce outside when it's not advisable. But to suggest he's a "bust" compared to the other rookie RB's-- who are in far superior situations-- seems short-sighted. For this season? Sure. But personally I think his production has actually been somewhat remarkable, given what he has to work with. The amount of plays that should be 1 yard gains, or 2 yard losses-- that he turns into 3-4 yard pickups-- is a testament to his knack for finding open space. Not only is he big and fast and agile- once he has a bit of space or momentum, he excels at maximizing yardage, and often gains an extra 2-3 yards just in the process of being tackled. He's like a... spacial genius or something.  

The fantasy production has been underwhelming-- I get it. For me, every week brings a feeling of "ehh... I guessss I'll start him." But it's rarely with great optimism. 

But I don't want to lose sight of what Joe Mixon can do on a football field, which is breathtaking. 

Great stuff Chicks.  I know you spent some time linking all of that. Nice work. As for Mixon, he has a tough game this week and an even tougher game next week in Denver. I wish I didn’t have to start him this week but I pretty much have to. More than likely I won’t have to next week. 

The promising rookie will now face the Titans, who have a solid defense, but pass-catching backs have consistently burned them. They enter Week 10 allowing the sixth-most receiving yards to running backs. Get Mixon into your starting lineup”

Even with what’s quoted above I’ve spent a lot of time watching Bengals games this season because of Mixon.. The amount of times Mixon has been wide open in the flat or middle of the field and Dalton has looked him off is highly annoying. Dalton will still force throws to his outside receivers. I can’t trust it. 

Edited by DezBryant88

8 minutes ago, DezBryant88 said:

The promising rookie will now face the Titans, who have a solid defense, but pass-catching backs have consistently burned them. They enter Week 10 allowing the sixth-most receiving yards to running backs. Get Mixon into your starting lineup”

Even with what’s quoted above I’ve spent a lot of time watching Bengals games this season because of Mixon.. The amount of times Mixon has been wide open in the flat or middle of the field and Dalton has looked him off is highly annoying. Dalton will still force throws to his outside receivers. I can’t trust it. 

Yes.  Mixon's "obstacle" has not been Jeremy Hill.  It has been an egregiously porous offensive line and incompetent coaching.