NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Joe Mixon 2017 Outlook

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, cdd10 said:

you thought mixon was more talented than leonard fournette? 

I had them with an almost identical grade but I liked Mixon a little more because he's more versatile

This was my pre-draft write up of him:  Obviously people have him in the 2nd or 3rd round based on the video but I think that incident is still clouding people's evaluation of him as a pure prospect. He's one of the best RBs I've seen in recent memory, I like him more than I liked Zeke last year and on the same level as Gurley and AP as prospects. He has the size (6ft/228), speed (mid 4.4s), and ridiculous lateral and receiving ability. He is on the same level of receiver as Christian McCaffery, Oklahoma would routinely line him up at WR and he makes one-handed circus catches in stride. His vision is fantastic as well, there was one run against Texas Tech where he somehow found these tiny gaps on what should have been a 5 yard loss and turned it into a 50 yard run. The best attribute he has, however, is his jump cut. Absolutely insane how quickly he can move laterally. He's not a power runner like Marshawn Lynch but he has the requisite size to easily run inside. What separates him from Leo, besides from the lateral ability, is that Mixon is a do-it-all 3 down back who has shown the ability to run from both under center and in shotgun. With Mixon you don't even need to tailor your entire offense to him, like you may have to do with Leo, because he can fit into any offensive scheme. Truly transformative talent and whoever drafts him is getting a perennial pro-bowler/all-pro.

Plus here are some gifs from him in college:

Lateral Ability

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/whichashamedarcticwolf

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/silvermagnificentarabianoryx

Acceleration

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/wholedescriptivegrouse

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/acrobaticdigitaleastsiberianlaika

Receiving Ability

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/homelydisastrouslabradorretriever

Power

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/whisperedplaintivehartebeest

Stiff Arm

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/raredazzlingiberianmole

Vision

http://makeagif.com/gif/joe-mixon-nightcrawler-oklahoma-highlights-rOxNdH

Pure Awesomeness

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/plasticagreeablehart

http://makeagif.com/gif/joe-mixon-td--O-4PB

Edited by Chwf3rd

re: Talent

I thought Mixon was a more talented running back than Fournette. His film from OU is jaw dropping. Rare talent.

Fournette is clearly a more exceptional, physically talented running back. His size/speed combo is so rare.

Where I wiffed, as I talked about a couple pages back, is in projecting their situations. And failing to take the O line detriments of CIN as seriously as I should have. Knew they were bad. Not bad enough. Had too much faith in Mixon to excel in spite of them. Talent blinded me to negatives in situation and O line. Used the phrase "blind spot" a couple pages back and that's what it was for me.

Kudos to Chwf3rd for your post.

17 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

for some reason this post inspired me to Google the origin of the last name Mixon.

This can't be real life. 

16 hours ago, Anteater99 said:

This is amazing.

We really missed a golden opportunity to say "you can't make this $#|t up"

Anyhow, here is how Tennessee has fared against the rush: 

looks pretty staunch, until you consider they've faced Miami, Oakland, Seattle, Indy, Cleveland, and Baltimore-- not exactly monsters in the run game.

syxyu0.jpg

Mixon Premonition:  17 carries, 74 yards |  4 reception, 24 yards | one 6 yard TD reception 
Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

1 hour ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

We really missed a golden opportunity to say "you can't make this $#|t up"

Anyhow, here is how Tennessee has fared against the rush: 

looks pretty staunch, until you consider they've faced Miami, Oakland, Seattle, Indy, Cleveland, and Baltimore-- not exactly monsters in the run game.

syxyu0.jpg

Mixon Premonition:  17 carries, 74 yards |  4 reception, 24 yards | one 6 yard TD reception 

I thought the same thing, but you could def add CIN to the list of teams that haven’t run the ball well, so will the trend continue?

he's touchdown dependent just to hit 10 ppr points. it probably won't keep up. ironically this week the RW blurb said he doesn't score touchdowns. they should have said he doesn't rush for yards. that's way more accurate.

the touchdown today actually looked well blocked! it was like seeing an eclipse. or a unicorn.

1 minute ago, Anteater99 said:

he's touchdown dependent just to hit 10 ppr points. it probably won't keep up. ironically this week the RW blurb said he doesn't score touchdowns. they should have said he doesn't rush for yards. that's way more accurate.

the touchdown today actually looked well blocked! it was like seeing an eclipse. or a unicorn.

Only 9rushes, 4.1 average isn’t too shabby against a pretty good front.  Only one small pass is disheartening. I guess they don’t want to dump it off to him.m

10 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

Do,you really have to ask this question?  It’s not even close. Hunt by a mile of course. 

Yes I think its a legit question. Hunt hasn't found the end zone since Week 3 and in his last four games he's gone 58/191/0 on the ground; good for 3.3 ypc. Mixon has an awful ypc too, but at least he's scored TDs in each of the last two games. Hunt seems to be going in the direction of Spencer Ware last year when Reid ruined him after a hot start, taking him out on passing downs in favor of West. I respect your opinion, but I don't think its "by a mile."

Edited by KareemX

7 minutes ago, KareemX said:

Yes I think its a legit question. Hunt hasn't found the end zone since Week 3 and in his last four games he's gone 58/191/0 on the ground; good for 3.3 ypc. Mixon has an awful ypc too, but at least he's scored TDs in each of the last two games. Hunt seems to be going in the direction of Spencer Ware last year when Reid ruined him after a hot start, taking him out on passing downs in favor of West. I respect your opinion, but I don't think its "by a mile."

You're focusing way too much on TDs.  Mixon's TD production is unsustainable given the struggling offense and his usage while it looks like Hunt is in for some positive regression.  TDs are the flukiest stat in fantasy football.

Hunt's usage is better (while it's not as high as it was he has still had 22 and 25 touch games in his last 4), he plays on maybe the most RB friendly scheme in the NFL while Mixon is in one of the worst situations, and Hunt's schedule opens up a lot while Mixon's is getting harder.

2 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

You're focusing way too much on TDs.  Mixon's TD production is unsustainable given the struggling offense and his usage while it looks like Hunt is in for some positive regression.  TDs are the flukiest stat in fantasy football.

Hunt's usage is better (while it's not as high as it was he has still had 22 and 25 touch games in his last 4), he plays on maybe the most RB friendly scheme in the NFL while Mixon is in one of the worst situations, and Hunt's schedule opens up a lot while Mixon's is getting harder.

Good post, but I don't think I'm focusing on TDs. Fact remain (when comparing the two rookies) Hunt hasn't scored since Week 3 and his fantasy point totals have decreased every week since Week 1. Mixon's situation has improved with Hill on IR, while Hunt somehow saw his season low snap count percentage last game in favor of Charcandrick West? You can't deny that Ware was an RB1 star Weeks 1-5 last year, then faded because of Reid-iculousness (a la "Shanahanigans"). Granted there are different circumstances with Hunt vs Ware. But it almost seems like Reid doesn't want to make any one player a star. Mixon has only Gio Bernard to compete with for carries.

Doesn't Mixon have to start getting more carries (15+) at some point for Cincy to be successful? Real question.

16 minutes ago, KareemX said:

Good post, but I don't think I'm focusing on TDs. Fact remain (when comparing the two rookies) Hunt hasn't scored since Week 3 and his fantasy point totals have decreased every week since Week 1.

You just focused on TDs right after you said you weren't.

16 minutes ago, KareemX said:

Mixon's situation has improved with Hill on IR, while Hunt somehow saw his season low snap count percentage last game in favor of Charcandrick West?

Hill was barely playing anyways so I don't think him going on IR opens up that many touches.

17 minutes ago, KareemX said:

You can't deny that Ware was an RB1 star Weeks 1-5 last year, then faded because of Reid-iculousness (a la "Shanahanigans"). 

If you look at Ware's game log from last year, http://www.nfl.com/player/spencerware/2540204/gamelogs?season=2016, he was still receiving tons of touches the 2nd half of the season so I don't blame Andy Reid for his decline.  Ware and Hunt are different players.  Yes, Hunt may decline but I don't think looking at Ware from last year provides any evidence given that his usage remained very high.

20 minutes ago, KareemX said:

Mixon has only Gio Bernard to compete with for carries.

Gio is represents a MUCH greater threat to Mixon's workload than West does to Hunt.

21 minutes ago, KareemX said:

Doesn't Mixon have to start getting more carries (15+) at some point for Cincy to be successful? Real question.

As a Mixon owner I hopes he starts getting > 15 touches but that hasn't been happening.  The Bengals have barely had the ball in the 2nd half of games and Mixon's usage predictably falls off a cliff.  Plus the Cinci offense is so bad right now that even when Mixon gets 15 + touches he's incredibly inefficient with them.

2 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

You just focused on TDs right after you said you weren't.

Its not a focus. Its a fact. Hunt has no TDs for Hunt since Week 3. I was mistaken Weeks 2-3, but Hunt's weekly point totals have steadily decreased every week since Week 1 in my league (54, 27, 34, 16, 14, 10, 10, 6, 5). Your point of view is taken though. Its not an argument or a fanboy/owner thing. Just discussion. I hope others contribute here.

P.S. I fully expect Hunt to explode this week at the Giants.

51 minutes ago, KareemX said:

Its not a focus. Its a fact. Hunt has no TDs for Hunt since Week 3. I was mistaken Weeks 2-3, but Hunt's weekly point totals have steadily decreased every week since Week 1 in my league (54, 27, 34, 16, 14, 10, 10, 6, 5). Your point of view is taken though. Its not an argument or a fanboy/owner thing. Just discussion. I hope others contribute here.

P.S. I fully expect Hunt to explode this week at the Giants.

Yes hunts schedule ros looks pretty friendly. 

That being said i think mixon touches will start to go up soon. Weather being a factor as well. 

They’ll run the ball a bit more