NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Joe Mixon 2017 Outlook

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, whoopsie said:

What is the problem here? Is it Mixon, the O-line, the play calling?

The problem I always noticed with Mixon is he is the type of runner that rather than create on his own he patiently waits for his o-line to spring him which is what good backs do however when ur o-line can't do their job the rb will suffer.  He is either going to have to produce on his own or wait until they improve the o-line performance. I think on this offense if he doesnt follow the play call as drawn and decides to freelance the coach will penalize him

5 minutes ago, whoopsie said:

When I was a Mixon owner and actually watched him, he had a okay running style. Very reminiscent of Le'Veon Bell with his patience.

It's a combination of his running style with this piss poor offensive line. He doesn't really have the time to be patient but hasn't changed up his running style, so they're kinda beating each other up right now.

@dashoe beat me to it :( 

Edited by oliminator123

2 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

When I was a Mixon owner and actually watched him, he had a okay running style. Very reminiscent of Le'Veon Bell with his patience.

It's a combination of his running style with this piss poor offensive line. He doesn't really have the time to be patient but hasn't changed up his running style, so they're kinda beating each other up right now.

@dashoe beat me to it :( 

yeah I watched him early because i was trying to trade for him and noticed the same thing as u did but passed on him when the offense didnt improve

37 minutes ago, whoopsie said:

It is the Offensive Line.  Period.  If Mixon were running behind a healthy Dallas OL, he would be a Top 5 RB.  

This was from a few weeks ago, but not much has changed - they are the worst run-blocking OL in the NFL.  Dead last.  

30. CINCINNATI BENGALS

Average offensive lineman grade: 49.1

The Bengals let left tackle Andrew Whitworth and right guard Kevin Zeitler walk in free agency and are paying the price for this so far this season. All starting Cincinnati offensive linemen are grading below 50.0 this season with the exception of left guard Clint Boling. The unit has not been at their worst in pass protection, ranking 24th in the NFL with a pass-blocking efficiency of 74.4 by allowing 59 total pressures on 181 passing plays. However, they are the worst run-blocking unit in the NFL to date as they struggle to get anything going on the ground. This is highlighted by the fact that they average just 0.42 yards before contact on all runs, the fewest in the NFL.

On 11/17/2017 at 1:07 PM, bobbym said:

Dalton has been awful he is really hurting all bengals fantasy players .. not sure why Lewis is not even considering starting McCarron .. Mixon role would take a huge boost if McCarron was out there

16 touchhdowns, 8 interceptions, 90.7 quarterback rating. All with one of the worst o-line’s and running attacks in the league. I think he’s doing pretty well considering the trash surrounding him

31 minutes ago, DezBryant88 said:

Current offensive line- TD dependent flex and fun to watch if you enjoy seeing guys get hit as soon as they get the hand off. 

Good offensive line- stud. 

Maybe next year.

They gave him some carries at the end of the game trying to run out the clock and every play looked like "bull in the ring" or "smear the [is it still legal to use the word here, even in a quotation about a term used in a long-ago time period, or will God strike me down with lightning? anyway, it rhymes with 'jeer']".  I felt bad for him, it was brutal.

1 minute ago, bobbym said:

Yeah he throws in some decent games once in a while but go back watch all the Bengals games .. for the most part Dalton has looked like he doesnt have a clue how to be a nfl QB

It's hard to throw accurate passes when you constantly are afraid of being slammed in the back.

Imagine being an NFL quarterback knowing you have the worst offensive line across the league. You don't think that isn't going to be in the back of your mind?

Add on top of that the fact that teams know you can't run for crap, so you're constantly going to be throwing into tougher coverage.

Edited by oliminator123

3 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

It's hard to throw accurate passes when you constantly are afraid of being slammed in the back.

Imagine being an NFL quarterback knowing you have the worst offensive line across the league. You don't think that isn't going to be in the back of your mind?

Add on top of that the fact that teams know you can't run for crap, so you're constantly going to be throwing into tougher coverage.

add on the fact that other than AJ Green, Bengals receivers and tight ends are literal nobodies. Brandon Lafell? Tyler Boyd? Alex Erickson? Tyler Kroft? (Kroft is turning out to be pretty good)

Eifert's gone, John Ross cant get on the field due to Marvin Lewis' distaste for him. He's working with very little

On 11/20/2017 at 12:49 PM, oliminator123 said:

That QB up in Seattle seems to do just fine with what he has been given. 

34 minutes ago, disasterisk said:

That QB up in Seattle seems to do just fine with what he has been given. 

His ability to escape is not comparable to Dalton.  Not to mention he was given a pretty big upgrade recently from Houston.