NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Joe Mixon 2017 Outlook

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/25/2017 at 8:41 PM, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

great post, Anteater. Browns aren't too shabby against the run, and week in and week out, aren't the worst DFS play, if you want to save money. 

I've got a hunch about Mixon this week though. I predict he'll have his best game of the year. 

Great call bro. Cheers!

1 hour ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

thanks dude. 

wish I'd actually followed the hunch... and not benched him for Alfred Morris :P

(thankfully, played Mixon in DFS though)

I assume it didn't lose you your week if you are using emojis.

I will be getting into the schedule for all my players Tuesday, I have heard terrible things about his playoff schedule but we're so deep I won't even have to make a decision. Just starting him every week and holding my nose in those bad matchups.

8 hours ago, Anteater99 said:

I assume it didn't lose you your week if you are using emojis.

no, that decision single-handedly lost me the week (and likely a drop from #3 seed to #4 seed).

using emojis, because apparently I'm a 13 year old girl named Tiffany. 

had 3 slots for Leveon/Hyde/Morris/Mixon.... ESPN had Morris projected for 13+ points and I fell for the trap... that combined with Hyde's prolific history against Seattle.

Never again. Instincts: you are the captain now. 

9 hours ago, pikerbkb said:

What!?! Booooooooo!!! 

anigif_enhanced-buzz-14088-1416038331-13

pillory.jpg

I accept this fate. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

I haven't watched a lot of CIN games this year but I did watch the highlights of all of Mixon's plays yesterday and a couple things stood out:

1) Blocking - there were nice holes for Mixon to get through and he wasn't getting tackled in the backfield

2) Vision and burst through the hole - He looked good yesterday getting into and through the hole as quickly as possible.  At least 4-5 of his first runs he was through the hole quickly and without even getting touched. 

3) Power and aggression - Once through the hole he looked like a beast wanting more.  He made guys miss and got extra yards a number of times after contact.  He ran through 2 guys and knocked them on their a** when they tried to tackle him.  He got his pad level low and made them pay.

If CIN can keep this up I see no reason why Mixon cant keep feasting like he did.  But it all starts with #1 - he had the blocking yesterday and that was YUGE!

24 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

I haven't watched a lot of CIN games this year but I did watch the highlights of all of Mixon's plays yesterday and a couple things stood out:

1) Blocking - there were nice holes for Mixon to get through and he wasn't getting tackled in the backfield

2) Vision and burst through the hole - He looked good yesterday getting into and through the hole as quickly as possible.  At least 4-5 of his first runs he was through the hole quickly and without even getting touched. 

3) Power and aggression - Once through the hole he looked like a beast wanting more.  He made guys miss and got extra yards a number of times after contact.  He ran through 2 guys and knocked them on their a** when they tried to tackle him.  He got his pad level low and made them pay.

If CIN can keep this up I see no reason why Mixon cant keep feasting like he did.  But it all starts with #1 - he had the blocking yesterday and that was YUGE!

For a RB to be successful it is almost always about #1.  I have watched Mixon all season and he looked strong but he was getting hit the minute he had the ball on most carries.  Just like Hunt looked like a monster to start the season when KC line was blowing open holes.  Now he is getting hit when he gets the ball and is struggling.

I worry about the TOP for the Bengals.  When they stink, they stink.  3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out.  Mixon is only sustainable when they dominate TOP and I would hope any team besides the Dolphins would against Cleveland.  I would pump the brakes on Mixon scoring 15+ every week.  I honestly hope we still see the floors at 10pts and I'll be happy.

11 minutes ago, whoopsie said:

You got to think that with the AFC wild card spot wide open that the Bengals will finally have to lean on Mixon after this performance.

Their offensive line is still crap. This game was an abberation. There’s 0 evidence that the line sustains that performance for the rest of the season. 

Bengals have a HARD schedule the rest of the way. Steelers, Bears, Lions, Vikings, Ravens. They’re not making the playoffs. 7-9

7 minutes ago, Chippa said:

Their offensive line is still crap. This game was an abberation. There’s 0 evidence that the line sustains that performance for the rest of the season. 

Bengals have a HARD schedule the rest of the way. Steelers, Bears, Lions, Vikings, Ravens. They’re not making the playoffs. 7-9

No doubt the schedule looks rough...  That is worrisome.  Some good run stopping Ds there.  But at least we got to see what Mixon is made of if he gets at least some blocking.

3 hours ago, kco734 said:

Pittsburgh matchup doesn’t scare me st home. Should be a close one gotta control time of possession with this beast

jamaal williams ate, i know most of it was on a long screen play but i watched damn near every snap last night and saw nothing that would make me consider benching mixon due to the matchup.

Can’t speak for all, but mine is tepid optimism.  Carries continue to rise, he is still making the most out of his receptions, and had a great day against a Cleveland run defense that is no joke.  If the blocks can continue, he should find results.

Edited by ToO_BaD

8 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

What happened to the worst OL in the NFL? Why the optimism now? 

I'm not sure what you are getting at. Let's avoid the polar extremes at talk about this past game.  Like I mentioned he had holes to run through. There was good blocking.  Yes one game doesn't make a season but it was much improved.  Maybe they are getting better and we will see better blocking from here on out.  Yes the schedule is still a tough one but lets take this game for what it was.  A very good game, by both Mixon and the O-line.  You have trouble giving credit here?  Why the shade? Unless you want to actually contribute. Why the back handed dig?