NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Joe Mixon 2017 Outlook

2 minutes ago, Anteater99 said:

Because they're not as bad now? Does fairly criticizing a league worst OL at one point mean you can never start the RB behind them at a later point? Do you even football bro

The Patriots Defense from the start of the season until now says hi.

Edited by Big Nate

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The holes were absolutely huge in this game.  I'm hoping that this is a function of CIN's OL getting better with time together and not a function of Cleveland just missing a lot of key players on D.  Either way, it was great to see Mixon pop.  Top 15 RB in the last few weeks and the arrow is pointing up.

18 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

I'm not sure what you are getting at. Let's avoid the polar extremes at talk about this past game.  Like I mentioned he had holes to run through. There was good blocking.  Yes one game doesn't make a season but it was much improved.  Maybe they are getting better and we will see better blocking from here on out.  Yes the schedule is still a tough one but lets take this game for what it was.  A very good game, by both Mixon and the O-line.  You have trouble giving credit here?  Why the shade? Unless you want to actually contribute. Why the back handed dig?

13 minutes ago, Anteater99 said:

Because they're not as bad now? Does fairly criticizing a league worst OL at one point mean you can never start the RB behind them at a later point? Do you even football bro

The o-line isnt going to suddenly dominate pittsburgh, minnesota, and baltimore. Tough sledding ahead for Mixon. I dont see him replicating this type of performance again this season. 

Edited by Chippa

1 hour ago, Chippa said:

The o-line isnt going to suddenly dominate pittsburgh, minnesota, and baltimore. Tough sledding ahead for Mixon. I dont see him replicating this type of performance again this season. 

Wow, when did I (or the other person you quoted) say they would suddenly "dominate" those teams?

I'm out of this thread again if that's what people are getting from my posts and others who are trying to give props where props are due. They had a good game.

No wonder people don't want to post here anymore.

Laters.

Edited by Big Nate

2 hours ago, Big Nate said:

Wow, when did I (or the other person you quoted) say they would suddenly "dominate" those teams?

I'm out of this thread again if that's what people are getting from my posts and others who are trying to give props where props are due. They had a good game.

No wonder people don't want to post here anymore.

Laters.

.....Talk about an overreaction

4 hours ago, TennisMenace said:

What happened to the worst OL in the NFL? Why the optimism now? 

Because the line can evolve one way or another over the course of a season and sometimes it just takes that big week for the light to turn on with younger players.  Alot of people will have a tough choice of starting him or not.  I'm not in that situation after losing DJ, Zeke and Chris Thompson.  Traded Sheppard for him last week and gonna have to prey he finishes strong.

1 hour ago, youngrice said:

Because the line can evolve one way or another over the course of a season and sometimes it just takes that big week for the light to turn on with younger players.  Alot of people will have a tough choice of starting him or not.  I'm not in that situation after losing DJ, Zeke and Chris Thompson.  Traded Sheppard for him last week and gonna have to prey he finishes strong.

5 hours ago, KennyWoo said:

The holes were absolutely huge in this game.  I'm hoping that this is a function of CIN's OL getting better with time together and not a function of Cleveland just missing a lot of key players on D.  Either way, it was great to see Mixon pop.  Top 15 RB in the last few weeks and the arrow is pointing up.

Here's an interesting article on Mixon's doppelganger, Le'Veon Bell, that might shed some light on the situation. Hopefully the line's performance is improving, in part, because their technique is improving.

Le’Veon Bell’s wait-wait-wait style is so unique, the Pittsburgh Steelers have had the modify the way they coach their offensive linemen. This nugget comes from Mike Kuchar of X and O’Labs, one of my absolute favorite football-nerd websites. 

He tweeted this bit of info out from Mike Munchak.

Mike Kuchar
@MikekKuchar
Steelers OL coach Mike Munchack says he has to teach his OL to hold zone combos longer b/c of Leveon Bell running style.
7:37 AM - May 20, 2017

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/05/leveon-bells-style-forces-offensive-line-block-differently/

Edited by pikerbkb

On 11/27/2017 at 2:44 PM, Big Nate said:

I'm not sure what you are getting at. Let's avoid the polar extremes at talk about this past game.  Like I mentioned he had holes to run through. There was good blocking.  Yes one game doesn't make a season but it was much improved.  Maybe they are getting better and we will see better blocking from here on out.  Yes the schedule is still a tough one but lets take this game for what it was.  A very good game, by both Mixon and the O-line.  You have trouble giving credit here?  Why the shade? Unless you want to actually contribute. Why the back handed dig?

I th8nk you misinterpreted my post.....perhaps you have not followed this entire thread. 

Much of the thread documents how the Cinci OL is the worst in the NFL according to experts who rate this.  It was obvious up u til last week there were no holes for Mixon to run through. Now all of a sudden against a decent rushing defense there are holes and thus yards to be gained.  What happened to cause this was my question?  How did the “worst OL in the NFL” all of a sudden become a good OL....for one game at least? 

Just looking for dialog here, not trying to be negative.  Heck, I own Mixon and desperately want him to succeed. 

On 11/27/2017 at 2:48 PM, Anteater99 said:

Ive had no problems with the data showing this OL as being weak....in fact, I relish seeing such data. Gives me more ammunition. 

I was just wondering....has this OL graduated and are now being rated higher than they were earlier in the season? 

By the way, what does “do you even football bro” mean?  That made me smile though. 

4 hours ago, TennisMenace said:

By the way, what does “do you even football bro” mean?  That made me smile though. 

It means you say things that make no sense like you just stumbled into fantasy football last week 

"i relish this data it gives me more ammunition" get a grip man you take this s--- too seriously. Go outside and get some fresh air

In summary, Bengals o line one of the worst, mixon owners sad. Then they look good last week, mixon owners rejoice. For some reason you have a problem with this as if we're not allowed to talk about how they are improving? You are one weird dude. 

Edited by Anteater99

15 minutes ago, Anteater99 said:

It means you say things that make no sense like you just stumbled into fantasy football last week 

"i relish this data it gives me more ammunition" get a grip man you take this s--- too seriously. Go outside and get some fresh air

In summary, Bengals o line one of the worst, mixon owners sad. Then they look good last week, mixon owners rejoice. For some reason you have a problem with this as if we're not allowed to talk about how they are improving? You are one weird dude. 

As a Mixon owner, and a Bengals fan, I think sunday against the Browns was a farce. In my honest opinion, I dont think Cleveland's defense tried. 1 good game doesn't mean they've finally figured it out. 3 out of the 5 linemen on that offense are putrid. Bodine is consistently the worst center in the league, Hopkins is a 5th rounder from 2014 and is the worst graded lineman(That's really saying something), and Ogbuehi has to be the worst LT in the AFC. Boling's the best lineman, and he's just above average. Andre Smith at RT is a good run blocker for sure, but he struggles in pass pro. He's average-below average

Edited by Chippa

Yeah they line is not talented but with o lines there's something to be said for the unit improving over time even though they may be average at best individually. This is the first time all year we've seen a glimmer of hope. I'm not expecting it to continue but it's a nice change, and either way im starting him so it's not like reading the tea leaves on this matters for me. It would just be nice if he could get a little help. See that chart i posted about a page back 

When this season is done, he should be sitting at around 1200 total yards and 6-8 TD's along with 40 catches.

Not bad at all considering how terribly everything went. Really hope the team invests into the O-line this summer. If so, should be a massive bargain come next years draft.

On 11/27/2017 at 5:16 PM, pikerbkb said:

Here's an interesting article on Mixon's doppelganger, Le'Veon Bell, that might shed some light on the situation. Hopefully the line's performance is improving, in part, because their technique is improving.

Le’Veon Bell’s wait-wait-wait style is so unique, the Pittsburgh Steelers have had the modify the way they coach their offensive linemen. This nugget comes from Mike Kuchar of X and O’Labs, one of my absolute favorite football-nerd websites. 

He tweeted this bit of info out from Mike Munchak.

Mike Kuchar
@MikekKuchar
Steelers OL coach Mike Munchack says he has to teach his OL to hold zone combos longer b/c of Leveon Bell running style.
7:37 AM - May 20, 2017

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/05/leveon-bells-style-forces-offensive-line-block-differently/

my favorite part was where you compared Mixon to Leveon Bell 

4 hours ago, 10giz said:

When this season is done, he should be sitting at around 1200 total yards and 6-8 TD's along with 40 catches.

Not bad at all considering how terribly everything went. Really hope the team invests into the O-line this summer. If so, should be a massive bargain come next years draft.

what round do you think he'll go in? 

I plan on keeping him as my sole keeper, in the 5th, even though I may be able to draft him there.

I don't want to let go of him, and agree with Andy Benoit that he is one of the 5 most talented backs in the league. 

1 minute ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I plan on keeping him as my sole keeper, in the 5th, even though I may be able to draft him there.

I don't want to let go of him, and agree with Andy Benoit that he is one of the 5 most talented backs in the league. 

There's so much hype about his talent I bet he goes early/mid round 3.

47 minutes ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

If he closes this season out strong and the team actually invests in that OL via free agency/draft, wouldn't shock me if he worked his way into Round 2/3. The strong finish and hype around his talent/volume will override any and all memories of his struggles along the way.

Hes in the top 20 right now, old a** Murray is in top 20, McCoy is about to turn 30 and is a dangerous pick, Buck Allen is somehow in the top 20, McKinnon is ahead of him who is a question mark. This is ppr ranking. Borderline top 10 back next year depending on what rookies go where , top 15 for sure. 

Edited by Tax77

6 hours ago, Tax77 said:

Hes in the top 20 right now, old a** Murray is in top 20, McCoy is about to turn 30 and is a dangerous pick, Buck Allen is somehow in the top 20, McKinnon is ahead of him who is a question mark. This is ppr ranking. Borderline top 10 back next year depending on what rookies go where , top 15 for sure. 

Are you assuming that no rookies get starting gigs and that David Johnson & Carson & Cook and yada,yada ... just playing devil's advocate.

I think Bungles will improve the line and Mixon will benefit to the point of being top ten regardless

12 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

5 the 5th, even though I may be able to draft him there.

Even Le'veon Bell sees the similarities. MNF will be interesting. Mixon thinks he can do better than Bell. Bell accused Mixon of being a copycat lil' bro basically.

I have been a big believer in Mixon since pre-draft. Was only concerned about his off field baggage, but confident it was isolated.