NBC Sports Edge Forums

Samaje Perine 2017 Season Outlook

He's coming in as the de facto RB1 of this team. I'll be drafting him in all formats, even PPR. Washington has a good oline and good offense. And Rob Kelley isn't going to be stealing much opportunity from Perine. If anything Chris Thompson may be stealing a good amount of receptions, but Perine should find the red zone a good amount on this team. Arrow's pointing up. 

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, dabeesta17 said:

Strikes me as Matt Jones without the fumbles (<<at least the Redskins hope so).

Samaje perine is like a slightly smaller version of Michael turner.  Sub 6.0", 235 lbs and all muscle.  Runs low and is a great inside runner.  Underrated pass catcher.  Strong to say the least.  Once ran for 427 yards in a single game, which is an NCAA record.

Matt Jones is a much different player.  4 inches taller, doesn't run as well inside, bit more of an upright runner, and as we all know, jones as a fumbling problem.

Perine has the pedigree and the talent to be the top WAS RB.  If you're looking for a Jordan Howard in this class, it's perine.

I think Perine is someone that could come into play mid to late season. It will probably take some games of non production from Kelley. Skins also like Mack Brown who is an undrafted rookie from last year.  It's anyone's guess how it will play out if Kelley doesn't perform. More than likely, it would be a combination of guys, but who knows.  Basically, If you're thinking about drafting Perine, you'd most likely have to hold on to him for who knows how long before he gets a real chance.  He's an interesting guy to keep on your watch list or play the weekly add/flyer game with, but not someone I would draft personally. 

Edited by mikeflavaz
6 hours ago, mikeflavaz said:

He's an interesting guy to keep on your watch list or play the weekly add/flyer game with, but not someone I would draft personally. 

You can wait until he's taken the job to spend a waiver claim on him and hope no one else pulls the trigger before you.  Or you can stash him at your draft and wait for the day (and it will come) when he does take the starting job.  Depends on your league format and bench size I guess.

Rookie RBs rarely take the starting job before week 1.  But they do take over the starting job, eventually, quite often.  Perine has more talent than Jones and UDFA "Fat" Rob Kelley combined.  This one won't take long.

2 hours ago, Lord_Varys said:

You can wait until he's taken the job to spend a waiver claim on him and hope no one else pulls the trigger before you.  Or you can stash him at your draft and wait for the day (and it will come) when he does take the starting job.  Depends on your league format and bench size I guess.

Rookie RBs rarely take the starting job before week 1.  But they do take over the starting job, eventually, quite often.  Perine has more talent than Jones and UDFA "Fat" Rob Kelley combined.  This one won't take long.

Absolutely it depends on your format/rules for free agency.  What I personally like to do is have a revolving door spot on my team for fliers.  Yahoo rules mostly allow you to make adds before each game. If the skins play at 1pm, I'll pick up Perine before then. If nothing magical happens, I'll drop him for another flier in the 4pm game, and so on.  But it's still a risk.  We don't have a long bench so to hold a guy like Perine for an undefined amount of time can really hurt you as probably pass on better adds. Just my opinion/strategy.  Alot of guys held Dixon last year hoping and waiting for him to take the backfield.  But it never happened.  Truth is, it's all a toss up no matter what strategy you go with. 

4 hours ago, Lord_Varys said:

Its just watching him at OU, I didn't see anything particularly special. Jones is likely to be cut and Kelley is just a warm body; so Perine will be the starter sooner rather than later. Guess it depends on where he's getting drafted. But yes, definitely someone to draft, stash, wait and see.

34 minutes ago, dabeesta17 said:

Its just watching him at OU, I didn't see anything particularly special. Jones is likely to be cut and Kelley is just a warm body; so Perine will be the starter sooner rather than later. Guess it depends on where he's getting drafted. But yes, definitely someone to draft, stash, wait and see.

His last seasons tape was a bit here and there, but he has shown some really legit ability through his career. Hes definitely more on the side of a 2 down pounder, but a good one at that. Not a single college season under 1000 yards or under 12 TD, and thats while splitting time with mixon (1700+ yards, 21 TDS the year mixon wasnt there ). This last season he didnt play in 5 games, while splitting time with mixon, and still managed 1000+ yards and 12 TDs. The overall production is wild. 

A think a big reason kelley stole this job last year was just reliablility. He churned out tough yards, didnt fumble, and stayed healthy. Aside from last year where he split alot of time and missed those 5 games, Perine never missed a game while carrying the load, definatley churns out tough yards, and fumbled twice a season in college. I could see him stealing this job eventually. Too me, hes much more of a rob kelley 2.0, exactly what the redskins are looking for.

Edited by vikingapocalypse
20 minutes ago, dabeesta17 said:

"It's just watching him at OU, I didn't see anything particularly special. Jones is likely to be cut and Kelley is just a warm body; so Perine will be the starter sooner rather than later. Guess it depends on where he's getting drafted. But yes, definitely someone to draft, stash, wait and see."

He does have that disproportionate low center & he runs low, finishes. Early entry junior, but was team captain at OU. OG Arie Kouandjio impressed in limited action last year and if he can crack the lineup it'll likely mean an upgrade in the run game. They drafted a TE I really liked for them, Jeremy Sprinkle. He'll also upgrade the run game. On the perimeter they can't do any worse than DeSean Jackson. 

The only thing I'll say about when, is that Gruden has already made the mistake of anointing a guy, so he's probably not going to do that unless Perine runs away with it. At FFC, Kelley's Times Drafted figure is one of the highest! For me, Perine is now in that Derrick Henry, Ty Montgomery group. 

I agree with all that Perine will have his chance to take the job.  But we're not factoring in that Kelley doesn't have to be great to hold on to it. If he plods the gameclock forward and Thompson helps move the chains, Kelley could hold that job all year.  And if there is a "change," let's not rule out a committee.  I'm not saying that Perine won't be the Skins 2-down back at some point, but I'm not entirely expecting it either, at least not right away. 

Edited by mikeflavaz
14 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Someone remind me was there a true rbbc last season before matt jones was benched?

No..Gruden stubbornly rolled with Jones until his fumbles cost WAS the game vs DET -- and ultimately a playoff spot. 

47 minutes ago, Winky said:

Worth a look...

Fat Rob doesn't stand a chance. 

Low center of gravity, thick tree trunk legs, delivers blows and refuses to go down.  But he's got a little shiftiness through the hole too.  Looks a little like Spencer Ware prime highlights. 

19 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Fat Rob doesn't stand a chance. 

Low center of gravity, thick tree trunk legs, delivers blows and refuses to go down.  But he's got a little shiftiness through the hole too.  Looks a little like Spencer Ware prime highlights. 

Delivers blows and takes multiple guys to bring down. Seems absolutely impossible to tackle at times. Finds the open hole and hits it with power. Has shiftiness through a hole also which is incredible for a back with his size. This is all in the NFL!

They're damn highlights. They're called HIGHlights for a reason. Just drives me insane when someone posts highlights and people go wow he's so good! Everyone has good highlights. That's the point.

4 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Delivers blows and takes multiple guys to bring down. Seems absolutely impossible to tackle at times. Finds the open hole and hits it with power. Has shiftiness through a hole also which is incredible for a back with his size. This is all in the NFL!

Eh.  I see a lot of gaping holes.  Perine's was more impressive.

6 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Eh.  I see a lot of gaping holes.  Perine's was more impressive.

Eh I see a guy running in college and a guy in the NFL. Fat dude was more impressive.

31 minutes ago, dashoe said:

redskins backfield already looking too crowded; i have no idea how to rank these guys now, i'm staying away until preseason games

Already too crowded....  there's only one third down back in Chris Thompson and the other two downs + are up for grabs. Perine is the best player. Maybe Mack Brown is good too. But Perine has the best odds imo

• 2 weeks later...

Source: The Washington Post - Mike Jones

Washington Redskins RB Samaje Perine drew praise from running backs coach Randy Jordan for his quickness and elusiveness during rookie minicamp, and head coach Jay Gruden praised Perine's technique. 'You can tell his pad level is always down and he had good vision and he has good feet in the hole, and he caught the ball well,' Gruden said.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

We're excited about Perine's skill set at the pro level...mainly because we've seen it before in former Falcons stud Michael Turner. Going to Washington isn't a great landing spot for Perine as he'll have to compete for touches with Rob Kelley. The rookie from Oklahoma is currently going off the board at RB52 (12.08) in 12-team PPR leagues.

I don't know what that last part is, I think Washington is a good landing spot for Perine. Yes, they need better production on the wing, at TE & at LG but I think they've done all that. Recent article on Kouandjio, just the other day:  

"Arie Kouandjio, the 6'5" 325 pound 25 year old Maryland native, will get a chance to earn the starting left guard position this summer with the Redskins. ... The Redskins certainly have a weak link at left guard, where incumbent Shawn Lauvao has struggles with both inconsistency and injury. ... Kouandjio is known to be a phone-booth type blocker, meaning he's good in short areas, being able to generate power and movement off the ball. He has very long arms (34") , and if he's able to get inside a defenders pads, he has the ability to control his man. He also has a bit of a mean streak, often showing the aggression and tenacity to fight his man through the whistle. ... Kouandjio possesses the fundamental strength and length to excel as an offensive guard in the NFL. If he can clean up some of his technique under the watchful eye of offensive line guru Bill Callahan, the sky could be the limit for the youngster." http://www.hogshaven.com/2017/5/15/15635376/arie-kouandjio-will-be-redskins-starting-left-guard-fantasy-or-reality

Now a brand new piece, TE Jeremy Sprinkle:

"... the team was seeking a blocking tight end in the 2017 NFL Draft. They got just that in Arkansas tight end Jeremy Sprinkle in the fifth round. Listed as 6-foot-5, 252 pounds, ... he’s best in pass protection and working off opposing defenses with superb hand placement and long arms“He’s a big guy that can do both,” Redskins head coach Jay Gruden said. “That’s very exciting. That’s very rare nowadays in college football.” http://www.redskins.com/news/article-1/Jeremy-Sprinkle-Provides-Redskins-Big-Blocking-Tight-End/63318246-e8b9-4474-8d74-a651cffbd6b2

It's so on right now! e;

Edited by markrc99