NBC Sports Edge Forums

Samaje Perine 2017 Season Outlook

He can't possibly be as bad as he's shown the last two times he's had a bunch of carries. It's looked brutal. You have to chase the opportunity. I'd probably start Thompson too due to match-up.

Edited by LongBalls
  • Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, hard1 said:

Curious to see what happens if he puts the ball on the ground again....they seem to not like brown enough to give him substantial carries, but how do they feel about thompson cause he's been straight getting it done...

didn't Gruden already come out and say Thompson won't be the RB1, it is already out of the question?   they plan to manage his usage throughout the year?   not sure i see all the logic there  if he is the only guy who is effective but if he means it, then it is good news for Perine,  because to this point Perine's biggest asset has been he is healthy enough to play. 

Does it bother anyone else that his last name is pronounced "Pee-rine" lol. Gruden could NOT stop saying it last time he broadcasted for them haha, and thats when I was like wth. I've been saying it like "Per-een", but whatever. :lol:

From what I have gauged, It has been made pretty clear that Thompson has a defined role, and the coaches aren't shifting him much beyond that.  He has had some great production and plays, and that is exactly what they want from his as the CoP back.  Just like a Sproles.  As far as Semaje is concerned, I think he has a shot to shape up and take this backfield.  Over last year and this year it has been apparent that WASH wants to find a primary RB that can give them run game presence, which is why some of us hopped on the Kelley train, and then the Fat Rob train, but they drafted Semaje because they saw potential for him to be that guy, and if things click for him and everything comes together, he could be a nice piece to have. Fumbles are obviously a problem and I'm sure it has been emphasized to him, "dont be a Collins," but he has shown positive production

30 minutes ago, csv2209 said:

Does it bother anyone else that his last name is pronounced "Pee-rine" lol. Gruden could NOT stop saying it last time he broadcasted for them haha, and thats when I was like wth. I've been saying it like "Per-een", but whatever. :lol:

From what I have gauged, It has been made pretty clear that Thompson has a defined role, and the coaches aren't shifting him much beyond that.  He has had some great production and plays, and that is exactly what they want from his as the CoP back.  Just like a Sproles.  As far as Semaje is concerned, I think he has a shot to shape up and take this backfield.  Over last year and this year it has been apparent that WASH wants to find a primary RB that can give them run game presence, which is why some of us hopped on the Kelley train, and then the Fat Rob train, but they drafted Semaje because they saw potential for him to be that guy, and if things click for him and everything comes together, he could be a nice piece to have. Fumbles are obviously a problem and I'm sure it has been emphasized to him, "dont be a Collins," but he has shown positive production

maybe he should call Chris Carson for tips on how to get over fumbling issues.  could swear there was a comment during the SEA that Carson had a problem but he fixed it

12 minutes ago, wendellrott said:

set the single game rushing record in college

can catch

SF at home

GL carries

sign me up

has had one week with 21 carries: 6.7 points -- and another with 19 carries: 3.5 points

not terribly inspiring. Best hope for him is he gets one or two goal line carries for TDs. chris thompson healthy = he won't be catching many passes. Also, should remember Reed exists, and he's a red zone magnet.

Edited by grimsfield

Am I the only one who finds this situation extremely underrated?  On 10/3 coach said Kelly is day to day.  That same day Kelly said he expects to play after the bye.  8 days later he's now a long shot to play?  Then today Gruden quickly revealed Perine will get majority of carries and that he is capable of having success both when QB is under center and shotgun formations where Oaklahoma ran its scheme.  It sounds like to me Perine has figured it out during the bye and he's ready to breakout.  I'm not familiar with J. Gruden but coaches normally aren't forthcoming like this unless they know they have something.  Anyway I'll be monitoring this situation closely.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/10/11/wednesdays-takeaways-redskins-want-to-get-jamison-crowder-more-targets/?utm_term=.068ad07fa17c

Edited by JediMasters
6 minutes ago, JediMasters said:

Am I the only one who finds this situation extremely underrated?  On 10/3 coach said Kelly is day to day.  That same day Kelly said he expects to play after the bye.  8 days later he's now a long shot to play?  Then today Gruden quickly revealed Perine will get majority of carries and that he is capable of having success both when QB is under center and shotgun formations where Oaklahoma ran its scheme.  It sounds like to me Perine has figured it out during the bye and he's ready to breakout.  I'm not familiar with J. Gruden but coaches normally aren't forthcoming like this unless they know they have something.  Anyway I'll be monitoring this situation closely.

Question is, even with a monster performance, would that be enough to wally pipp kelley?

3 minutes ago, dakimbell said:

Question is, even with a monster performance, would that be enough to wally pipp kelley?

Heck yes it will.  Kelly is inferior to Perine in shotgun formations.  All he has to do is figure out the zone blocking scheme.  Then it renders Kelly obselete.  They can also utilize Perine in third down situations.  Most third down plays are in the shotgun formation.  This makes their red zone and goal line plays interesting with the option to hand off from the shotgun.

1 minute ago, JediMasters said:

Heck yes it will.  Kelly is inferior to Perine in shotgun formations.  All he has to do is figure out the zone blocking scheme.  Then it renders Kelly obselete.  They can also utilize Perine in third down situations.  Most third down plays are in the shotgun formation.  This makes their red zone and goal line plays interesting with the option to hand off from the shotgun.

Boy i hope thats how it pans out!

I think people may be sleeping on Perine this week too, understandably so because he's been so bad even with large workloads. For me I'm tempted to use him over Gore this week - the touches should be there in a good matchup with almost no chance of the game script turning negative for a Washington, and I think he's a pretty good bet for a TD.

11 minutes ago, timexsocialclub said:

19/83/1

He is the Redskins back of the future. Pick him up if you can. RB2 more weeks than not ROS. A better Alfred Morris in this offense.

Why are people so down on Rob Kelley? He's not just going away...

I started him in Week 3 against the Raiders and watched the game in its entirety. Like I posted a couple pages back, the Skins mainly ran him in predictable 1st-down plays (virtually every time the Raiders' LBs crowded the LOS) and the results weren't too glowing. But no one would've gained yardage on those plays, it looked like he was running into a black wall. In the second half, he got some carries out of the spread and busted off a couple nice runs. If they've altered some things to better fit his running style he could put up some good numbers. Seems like a good plug-in if you're batting injuries or byes or even a solid hold if you're not. 

Perine is a unique commodity in today's NFL. He is a power running back that runs well from out the shotgun. That means he has a physical running style that fits today's pass-happy NFL. Teams can still run spread formations and keep the FB on the sideline. Quarterbacks can still sit in the shotgun. How many coaches in the NFL would love to have a player like that? I really hate when coaches try to fit a square peg into a round hole.