NBC Sports Edge Forums

Samaje Perine 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, cdd10 said:

because he is injured. 

And he is terrible and slow and can't block. He also never plays in any passing situation.  I loved Kelley last season but he didn't get better. He got significantly worse and injured and his team used a 4th round pick on a guy who has better pedigree for an upgrade at the same role.

Edited by fyasko
4 hours ago, timexsocialclub said:

19/83/1

He is the Redskins back of the future. Pick him up if you can. RB2 more weeks than not ROS. A better Alfred Morris in this offense.

every backup that gets a start is an RB2 ROS according to RW lol probably a good play this week but it will be RBBC once Kelley is healthy. Also own zero Wash RBs in any league so don't have a dog in this race 

Edited by vthokie3

Well, to try and throw a wrench in everyones plans, I'm just gonna go ahead an say that I think kelly plays this week. I don't care what gruden said, kelley said he thought he would be ready to play by week 6, I think he's gonna be pushing pretty hard to play.

Thinking about flexing Perine, which I couldn't imagine even in my wildest dreams until yesterday. Then dug deeper into it: Improved over bye week, coach's speak, talent over Fat Rob, opportunity, great matchup - everything is pointing in favor of Perine. Sure I could be wrong, but this is a great train to be on.

Btw if you aren't sure about Perine, monitor if their LT Trent Williams is finally healthy enough to play. He is massive and turns their OL from average into a really good unit.

21 minutes ago, frog34 said:

Thinking about flexing Perine, which I couldn't imagine even in my wildest dreams until yesterday. Then dug deeper into it: Improved over bye week, coach's speak, talent over Fat Rob, opportunity, great matchup - everything is pointing in favor of Perine. Sure I could be wrong, but this is a great train to be on.

Btw if you aren't sure about Perine, monitor if their LT Trent Williams is finally healthy enough to play. He is massive and turns their OL from average into a really good unit.

Not only that, but this guy has fumbled twice as well as once in the preaeason and he STILL seems to have Gruden's full faith/support. 

Think about that for a moment... Jay Gruden. This man hates RBs fumbling more than any other coach in the league....  If that isn't a glowing endorsement I don't know what else is.. 

SF's run D is #8 in ypa, and that is without Foster, who returns this week along with Eric Reid.  When healthy, SF's front 7 is one of the best there is.

Gore and Mack found some success last Sunday because Ward suddenly had to move from safety to CB and UDFA Lorenzo Jerome (who was waived this week) took Ward's place.  With the secondary in a blender and Foster missing, the rush defense suffered.  Both Foster and Reid will be available this week, so things should be back to normal defensively.

Of course, if the offense continues to struggle as it has, even the talented front 7 could have trouble holding the line against a concerted rushing attack.  And who is to say Perine won't get a bunch of GL looks if the Washington offense moves easily (as expected) through the air.  Until Lynch gets an off-season to acquire some decent CBs (not to mention a quality QB, WRs and OGs), negative game scripts are always a possibility with SF despite the studly front 7 they roll out there.

My favorite spot start this week is Forte (if Powell is confirmed out).  Gun to my head, I'd say Perine won't do much even if Washington scores well.  Cousins has too many other weapons (Thompson included) that he can use to exploit those weak SF corners.

Edited by Rolling Thunder
7 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Gun to my head, I'd say Perine won't do much even if Washington scores well.

Jay Gruden's Skins are one of the rare situations nowadays where the starting early down RB is guaranteed 20+ carries, unless the game gets totally out of hand. Wouldn't care much about the run defense. Cousins is gradually finding his rhythm, their OL almost fully healthy again and they have an improved defensive unit that is very underrated. Volume > talent, even though Perine is more talented than Fat Rob. If Perine can only break a long run or score from the goalline, it will be his job. Great spot start this week, as well as great potential down the line.

2 minutes ago, frog34 said:

Jay Gruden's Skins are one of the rare situations nowadays where the starting early down RB is guaranteed 20+ carries, unless the game gets totally out of hand. Wouldn't care much about the run defense. Cousins is gradually finding his rhythm, their OL almost fully healthy again and they have an improved defensive unit that is very underrated. Volume > talent, even though Perine is more talented than Fat Rob. If Perine can only break a long run or score from the goalline, it will be his job. Great spot start this week, as well as great potential down the line.

That sounds way too optimistic.

Break a long run?  This guy runs a 4.65 40-time.

His YPC when given that healthy dose of touches?

REGULAR SEASON GAMES RUSHING RECEIVING FUMBLES
WK Game Date Opp Result G GS Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
1 09/10 videoicon.gif PHI L   17-30 1 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

2 09/17 @ LA W   27-20 1 0 21 67 3.2 12 0 1 0 0.0 0 0 -- --

3 09/24 videoicon.gif OAK W   27-10 1 1 19 49 2.6 9 0 1 6 6.0 6 0 1 1
2 minutes ago, Robrain said:

That sounds way too optimistic.

Break a long run?  This guy runs a 4.65 40-time.

His YPC when given that healthy dose of touches?

REGULAR SEASON GAMES RUSHING RECEIVING FUMBLES
WK Game Date Opp Result G GS Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
1 09/10 videoicon.gif PHI L   17-30 1 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

2 09/17 @ LA W   27-20 1 0 21 67 3.2 12 0 1 0 0.0 0 0 -- --

3 09/24 videoicon.gif OAK W   27-10 1 1 19 49 2.6 9 0 1 6 6.0 6 0 1 1

And Kareem Hunt runs a 4.62 40 and breaks plenty of long runs. Not really a good indicator. 

26 minutes ago, frog34 said:

Can't hold myself back anymore... It's happening! The Perine Train is ready to leave the station. All aboard!

perine.jpg

dunno how this is gonna shake out for the kid, but every freakin' time i see one of these Hype Trains with the player's mug i'm all :lol: just spit some coffee out me nose - THIS ISH NEVAH GETS OLD ?

Edited by pastorofmuppets2

Redskins coach Jay Gruden confirmed Samaje Perine will get the "majority of carries" this week.

Advice: With Rob Kelley expected to sit, Perine is in line for his second start against the 49ers. He'll handle all the early-down/goal-line work, with Chris Thompson remaining limited to pass downs. With four teams on a bye, Perine is on the RB3/FLEX radar.

Breaking a long run for players like Perine is getting to the 2nd level and punish a CB or safety trying to tackle him. Think of Alfred Morris in his early Redskins days. Also if you've been watching some Oklahoma football you should know Perine has very deceptive speed for a 235 lbs truck. He is for sure a different animal in pads on game day, of course he is not the best pure athlete in shorts. Yet he was the best RB at the combine with 30 (!) BP reps and best 60 yard shuttle, along with above average vert and broad jump. They drafted him to be their explosive bowling ball.

5 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I'm actually curious as to why people think this is  breakout game vs all of the other failed breakout games?

Had the bye week to figure out zone blocking scheme

Coach quickly announced he will have majority of carries

We know Thompsons role but Perine has three down skill set coming from a shotgun formation scheme in Oklahoma

Is the goal line back

Going against SF

Stars lining up

10 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I'm actually curious as to why people think this is  breakout game vs all of the other failed breakout games?

Pretty good write up a few pages back about Perine running out of shotgun and still learning the intricacies of the pro offense along with the confirmation from Gruden that Perine would be the workhorse in a game vs the 49ers. Kelley was supposed to be healthy to start this game. People are also speculating Gruden saw something in practice / bye week that may have lead to this change. 

Edited by Dirtywater97
9 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Not every rookie is Kareem Hunt, Dalvin Cook or Leo Fournette right of the bat. The scheme they ran at Oklahama is very different from NFL schemes, hence why a freakishly talented Mixon is struggling too. Perine has already looked much more comfortable in week 4, had a bye week which is where it often starts to click for rookies, and now he's getting all 1st team reps. It's happening!

14 minutes ago, dashoe said:

My take on the situation from yesterday:

Remains to be seen of course, but I would say he is in a much better position to succeed this time.

19 minutes ago, Juke said:

Redskins coach Jay Gruden confirmed Samaje Perine will get the "majority of carries" this week.

Advice: With Rob Kelley expected to sit, Perine is in line for his second start against the 49ers. He'll handle all the early-down/goal-line work, with Chris Thompson remaining limited to pass downs. With four teams on a bye, Perine is on the RB3/FLEX radar.

game flow will dictate what is going to happen ... if the Niners stack the box to stop the running attack then you can bet the Skins start to throw the ball or if the Niners go up 14-0 quick .... etc.

In week 2 Bruce Arains told us via twitter that Kerwynn Williams was his starter and Andre Ellington was the backup then they signed Chris Johnson he touch the ball more than the other two in week 2.... then the following week Arians told us Chris Johnson needed to get ball more ... we all know what happen 

10 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

game flow will dictate what is going to happen ... if the Niners stack the box to stop the running attack then you can bet the Skins start to throw the ball or if the Niners go up 14-0 quick .... etc.

In week 2 Bruce Arains told us via twitter that Kerwynn Williams was his starter and Andre Ellington was the backup then they signed Chris Johnson he touch the ball more than the other two in week 2.... then the following week Arians told us Chris Johnson needed to get ball more ... we all know what happen 

Certainly the phrase "any given sunday come to mind" when trying to predict NFL games.  But Vegas odds has Wash as favorites by 10.  Coming out of the bye they are expected to control this game.  The game script should be in favor of Washington all day.