NBC Sports Edge Forums

Marlon Mack 2017 Season Outlook

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Looks like he has ball bearings in his hips. Able to swivel in multiple directions. Can tilt and slalom around defenders on the second and third level and is able to string moves together. Has slippery feet and is hard to pin down when bouncing laterally. Runs with knee bend and his pad level is low at contact. Explosive burst carries him into his getaway gear. Able to run away from tacklers. Six of his fifteen touchdowns this year went for 43-plus yards. Always plays fast. Contain buster to the outside. Finds ways to slither out of tackles. Hands showed improvement as pass catcher.

WEAKNESSES

Runs with inconsistent power through contact. Will need to accelerate through contact on next level. Serial run bouncer. Too willing to make wild bounces to the furthest reaches of the perimeter if interior lanes are gummed up. Lacks a committed approach between the tackles. Feet start dancing if he doesn't see an early point of entry. On jet sweeps, he rarely looked to cut it downhill in space and defaulted to the wide track. Has a very poor fumble rate over this three years and has put the ball on the ground twelve times. Ducks head into traffic to finish rather than keeping eyes scanning.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 3-4

NFL COMPARISON

Denard Robinson

BOTTOM LINE

Scat back with decent size and blazing getaway speed. Mack has plenty of wiggle to bounce from run lane to run lane and make tacklers miss, but he has a penchant for looking to break runs way outside when the interior becomes too trafficked and he won't be able to get away with that against NFL speed. Mack is a complementary runner who can hit big runs against defenses who have been worn down, but he needs to be matched with the right scheme in order to unlock his big-play potential.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/marlon-mack?id=2558123

(generic terrible highlight music) 

I was looking over the draft and saw this fella landing with the Colts. He looks like a prime mid season sleeper coming into a decent offense behind an aging Frank Gore. Still looking over some tape and articles.. 

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he'll be flying under the radar at all this year, as every year, everyone (myself included) seems to predict this is the year Frank Gore finally breaks down (remember the hype Josh Ferguson was getting last year?).

That being said, I love his skill set even if Gore/Turbin are the 2-down runners. Fast, explosive, receiving skills (65 receptions in college). I think he's in a great spot to contribute as a 3rd-down back right off the bat, and obviously something has to give with Gore eventually. I'll be betting (again) that this is finally the year. 

30 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

This is another zero rb target I'll be taking once the wheels fall off of Gore. Big risk is will Turbin still goal line carries from Mack when his time comes? 

if he stole them from Gore I would assume so ..or at least get first shot. From what I'm reading he still needs to develop his vision between the tackles. USF would split him out wide on some occasion according to another scouting report- could lead to some trickery. 

1 hour ago, boltup15 said:

This is another zero rb target I'll be taking once the wheels fall off of Gore. Big risk is will Turbin still goal line carries from Mack when his time comes? 

Turbin will be my late rb target in non ppr leagues this year. 

In dynasty and ppr Mack.

4 hours ago, boltup15 said:

Yes, he will. They re-signed him and the coaches then talked about Turbin getting more touches in 2017. A good bet to vulture 7+ TDs for a second straight season.

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

Yes, he will. They re-signed him and the coaches then talked about Turbin getting more touches in 2017. A good bet to vulture 7+ TDs for a second straight season.

Ugh.....certainly didn't want to read that.  

5 hours ago, theSPANKER said:

Ugh.....certainly didn't want to read that.  

Believe me, if you owned Gore last year, you're well aware of how the coaches love Turbin inside the five-yard line. ?

I think is one of the most intriguing handcuffs considering both players values being generally undervalued. Gore has been a straight steal for his average draft range with almost low RB1 production last year. Age aside a slight improvement on the O line gives me assurance he can still be productive. But I find this an interesting potential issue as Gore has been so a reliable mid round pick up.  

14 minutes ago, nonstripedzebra said:

I think is one of the most intriguing handcuffs considering both players values being generally undervalued. Gore has been a straight steal for his average draft range with almost low RB1 production last year. Age aside a slight improvement on the O line gives me assurance he can still be productive. But I find this an interesting potential issue as Gore has been so a reliable mid round pick up.  

I thought the same thing, then I passed on Gore for Melvin Gordon last year.

Gore can't break loose for 20 yard TDs, or get TDs.

8 minutes ago, jmausen said:

I thought the same thing, then I passed on Gore for Melvin Gordon last year.

Gore can't break loose for 20 yard TDs, or get TDs.

And I wouldn't be surprised if they use Mack in goal line situations. Good foresight on that, still I think unlike Gordon I dont think Gores range will not change all that much despite another solid productive year. Then again if Mack even steals some TD's from Gore the drop off could be pretty severe. I just still believe in Gore until he fails just from the discrepancy. I think he has good RB2 potential entering this year maybe more and even if he falls off plus flex potential. Compared to the majority of situations and how they might impact production and value that one I find a little more assuring. And considering people sleep on Gore I have no reason to believe they aren't also sleeping on Mack so you might be able to ride out the Handcuff with Mack not even being rostered to enter the year.  

16 minutes ago, nonstripedzebra said:

And I wouldn't be surprised if they use Mack in goal line situations. Good foresight on that, still I think unlike Gordon I dont think Gores range will not change all that much despite another solid productive year. Then again if Mack even steals some TD's from Gore the drop off could be pretty severe. I just still believe in Gore until he fails just from the discrepancy. I think he has good RB2 potential entering this year maybe more and even if he falls off plus flex potential. Compared to the majority of situations and how they might impact production and value that one I find a little more assuring. And considering people sleep on Gore I have no reason to believe they aren't also sleeping on Mack so you might be able to ride out the Handcuff with Mack not even being rostered to enter the year.  

Turbin was the goal line back last year.

Gore was 2 down and 3rd down back.  He'll get more breathers this year and possibly lose the 3rd down work to the rookie.

Gore guaranteed 1,000 rushing yards last year and got it.  His upside this year should be about 800/2.  Those numbers put him at RB35.  His ADP is RB28.

Turbin is keeping the goal line work.

From what I've seen, he looks like he'll have a role as a pass catcher/home run hitter. I don't see him as an every down back though. Doesn't look like he has the instincts to run between the tackles and take a pounding. 

On 5/1/2017 at 1:58 PM, dashoe said:

NFL COMPARISON

Denard Robinson

I'm still processing this part. . .

It's okay... T.J. Yeldon was compared to Le'veon Bell and Arian Foster.

On 5/1/2017 at 9:59 AM, JSA2422 said:

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Looks like he has ball bearings in his hips. Able to swivel in multiple directions. Can tilt and slalom around defenders on the second and third level and is able to string moves together. Has slippery feet and is hard to pin down when bouncing laterally. Runs with knee bend and his pad level is low at contact. Explosive burst carries him into his getaway gear. Able to run away from tacklers. Six of his fifteen touchdowns this year went for 43-plus yards. Always plays fast. Contain buster to the outside. Finds ways to slither out of tackles. Hands showed improvement as pass catcher.

WEAKNESSES

Runs with inconsistent power through contact. Will need to accelerate through contact on next level. Serial run bouncer. Too willing to make wild bounces to the furthest reaches of the perimeter if interior lanes are gummed up. Lacks a committed approach between the tackles. Feet start dancing if he doesn't see an early point of entry. On jet sweeps, he rarely looked to cut it downhill in space and defaulted to the wide track. Has a very poor fumble rate over this three years and has put the ball on the ground twelve times. Ducks head into traffic to finish rather than keeping eyes scanning.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 3-4

NFL COMPARISON

Denard Robinson

BOTTOM LINE

Scat back with decent size and blazing getaway speed. Mack has plenty of wiggle to bounce from run lane to run lane and make tacklers miss, but he has a penchant for looking to break runs way outside when the interior becomes too trafficked and he won't be able to get away with that against NFL speed. Mack is a complementary runner who can hit big runs against defenses who have been worn down, but he needs to be matched with the right scheme in order to unlock his big-play potential.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/marlon-mack?id=2558123

(generic terrible highlight music) 

I was looking over the draft and saw this fella landing with the Colts. He looks like a prime mid season sleeper coming into a decent offense behind an aging Frank Gore. Still looking over some tape and articles.. 

He got caught from behind a lot in this highlight reel. If I want a slow RB, I'd rather have the reliability of Gore.

13 hours ago, dabeesta17 said:

He got caught from behind a lot in this highlight reel. If I want a slow RB, I'd rather have the reliability of Gore.

I can't believe you trolled me into re-watching that video. He got caught from behind maybe once. 

28 minutes ago, JSA2422 said:

I can't believe you trolled me into re-watching that video. He got caught from behind maybe once. 

College highlight reels typically have a lot of breakaway long TDs. There were breakaway runs in this video, but very few TDs; very few times he took it to the house (can't watch again at the moment, but I don't remember any 40/50+ yard TDs in there). He ran a 4.5 and is being promoted as a speed guy. The tape doesn't bear that out, nor does his 40 time. I'll let someone else draft him.

1 minute ago, dabeesta17 said:

College highlight reels typically have a lot of breakaway long TDs. There were breakaway runs in this video, but very few TDs; very few times he took it to the house (can't watch again at the moment, but I don't remember any 40/50+ yard TDs in there). He ran a 4.5 and is being promoted as a speed guy. The tape doesn't bear that out, nor does his 40 time. I'll let someone else draft him.

sounds good man thanks 

Seems like every carry he had in college was a toss, sweep or draw.  Runs pretty upright.  I have a hard time seeing him as anything more than a 3rd-down/CoP back.  Doesn't really pass the eye test for me.