NBC Sports Edge Forums

Marlon Mack 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robert Turbin looks as if he sustained a significant injury. Definitely something to watch. While Gore has been anything but fragile, the snaps/touches that Turbin was receiving could easliy go right to Mack, making him a nice hold for now.

15 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

Robert Turbin looks as if he sustained a significant injury. Definitely something to watch. While Gore has been anything but fragile, the snaps/touches that Turbin was receiving could easliy go right to Mack, making him a nice hold for now.

Ya he fell awkwardly and his arm was not bent in a natural position something definitely was broken or dislocated (reports say dislocated elbow).  Mack will definitely have a bigger opportunity to show he is deserving of more work though with Turbin gone for likely several weeks. Colts are in last place in AFC South but only a game back from first (other three teams are 3-3) so if Mack clearly gives them the best chance at winning I doubt they hold him back for Gore. Gore can still play though so he isn't going to just roll over and let this youngster take his job. 

Edited by Jaw1
56 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

Makes a big 22 yard run early in the 1st quarter and only sees one more touch.  

Yea, that run made me mad I passed on him w/top waiver last week.

The next time he took a handoff he immediately cut and tried to bounce outside.  Completely ignored the blocking scheme and got dropped for a 5 yard loss.

That looks like the problem with Mack.  His second attempt he tried to do the exact opposite of what made his first run successful - following his blockers.  It seems that those big runs only encourage him to try for a homerun every time.

Definitely think the Colts should give him more carries to work through it, but if he doesn't learn he's going to ride the bench like tonight.

Coaches after last week "we should give this guy more touches"

Coaches during game "2 is plenty"

Reading above though it sounds like he did something dumb with his second carry and pretty much got benched for it since both carries were early and that was it for him. 

12 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

Wow, was I disappointed. Two carries only. Say what?   I guess Indy is going to run the old man into the ground and they are happy with his results. No need to improve. 

Or, they like Gore picking up 4 yards better than Mack getting 15 then -5. Guy has no discipline yet.

35 minutes ago, Kyle87 said:

Coaches after last week "we should give this guy more touches"

Coaches during game "2 is plenty"

Reading above though it sounds like he did something dumb with his second carry and pretty much got benched for it since both carries were early and that was it for him. 

Yes, it appears that 4 yard loss really ticked off the coach because he certainly held a grudge against him, didn’t he?

1 hour ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Or, they like Gore picking up 4 yards better than Mack getting 15 then -5. Guy has no discipline yet.

There were two defenders in the backfield when he was handed the ball, it’s not as if he ignored a good lane, he was trying to make something out of a blow up play. This certainly is what kept him from carrying the rock. Cut off your nose to spite your face coaching decision. Hopefully they give him a real chance.

59 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S said:

There were two defenders in the backfield when he was handed the ball, it’s not as if he ignored a good lane, he was trying to make something out of a blow up play. This certainly is what kept him from carrying the rock. Cut off your nose to spite your face coaching decision. Hopefully they give him a real chance.

I like his talent and he's damn explosive, but the vision isn't there right now.  He bailed way too early on that run.  If you look it up, there was penetration outside LT and between C/RG.  The run was designed to go off the C's left hip, where the LT and LG had pushed ahead.  If he takes it 2 yards further upfield, right behind the pushing linemen, then he would've had the chance to cut behind the penetrating defender and bounce it outside.  Instead he hopped right early and ran directly into the defender who'd split the C/RG. It's the difference between a 5 yard loss or a 2 yard gain with the possibility of becoming more. Le'Veon Bell is the best runner in the league because he knows how to shift gears and when to bounce off his blockers.

From a fantasy perspective, you'll never know which weeks he'll blow up and which he'll get benched after 2 carries.  Looking at his schedule, week 10 vs PIT is the only game you might be able to semi-confidently start him.  His 2 good/decent games were against the 1st and 3rd ranked teams in highest points given up to RBs (PIT is 4th).  Indy doesn't face another D worse than 16th (JAX twice) until week 16 @Baltimore (9th).  They have 4 games vs teams ranked 28-32.  No bueno.

Mack has potential, but he still has a lot to learn and, unfortunately, I don't think he'll be a consistent producer this year.

That could change. Turbin's injury should provide a few weeks of opportunity (though I think he'll be used to spell Gore more often, who will take on Turbin's 3rd/short-yardage role in addition to regular duties).  Mack will probably get 5-12 touches (more run than rec; only 3 targets for the season, each in different games) depending on performance. If he does his job according to the play design, as opposed to statistics, I'd bet he gets closer to 12.  If he can't consistently hit the designated hole and deviates early, it'll be more like 4 or 5.

I like the guy, but he's way behind the other rookies developmentally.  He's a good hold in keeper/dynasty leagues, but I'm afraid he's just a roster spot in redraft.  We'll see though.

Edited by SadFaceHappy
6 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

I like his talent and he's damn explosive, but the vision isn't there right now.  He bailed way too early on that run.  If you look it up, there was penetration outside LT and between C/RG.  The run was designed to go off the C's left hip, where the LT and LG had pushed ahead.  If he takes it 2 yards further upfield, right behind the pushing linemen, then he would've had the chance to cut behind the penetrating defender and bounce it outside.  Instead he hopped right early and ran directly into the defender who'd split the C/RG. It's the difference between a 5 yard loss or a 2 yard gain with the possibility of becoming more. Le'Veon Bell is the best runner in the league because he knows how to shift gears and when to bounce off his blockers.

From a fantasy perspective, you'll never know which weeks he'll blow up and which he'll get benched after 2 carries.  Looking at his schedule, week 10 vs PIT is the only game you might be able to semi-confidently start him.  His 2 good/decent games were against the 1st and 3rd ranked teams in highest points given up to RBs (PIT is 4th).  Indy doesn't face another D worse than 16th (JAX twice) until week 16 @Baltimore (9th).  They have 4 games vs teams ranked 28-32.  No bueno.

Mack has potential, but he still has a lot to learn and, unfortunately, I don't think he'll be a consistent producer this year.

That could change. Turbin's injury should provide a few weeks of opportunity (though I think he'll be used to spell Gore more often, who will take on Turbin's 3rd/short-yardage role in addition to regular duties).  Mack will probably get 5-12 touches (more run than rec; only 3 targets for the season, each in different games) depending on performance. If he does his job according to the play design, as opposed to statistics, I'd bet he gets closer to 12.  If he can't consistently hit the designated hole and deviates early, it'll be more like 4 or 5.

I like the guy, but he's way behind the other rookies developmentally.  He's a good hold in keeper/dynasty leagues, but I'm afraid he's just a roster spot in redraft.  We'll see though.

Bummer.  I cut Collins to pick him up. I’m convinced Collins won’t be used as much as I need, and I was hoping the coach was honest when he said we need to use Mack more than just 10carries the previous week. He went down to two.....liar!

5 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

Bummer.  I cut Collins to pick him up. I’m convinced Collins won’t be used as much as I need, and I was hoping the coach was honest when he said we need to use Mack more than just 10carries the previous week. He went down to two.....liar!

Collins is a bum (he's a fumble waiting to happen on an anemic offense that lost its best lineman, Yanda, week 1 = few TD opportunities).  Worth the spec on Mack.

He might've had more chances this week if he hadn't so egregiously screwed up his second carry.  It was really bad.  Kid needs to learn, but I'm not confident in him this year.

16 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Collins is a bum (he's a fumble waiting to happen on an anemic offense that lost its best lineman, Yanda, week 1 = few TD opportunities).  Worth the spec on Mack.

He might've had more chances this week if he hadn't so egregiously screwed up his second carry.  It was really bad.  Kid needs to learn, but I'm not confident in him this year.

You are depressing me even more because I think you are right. 

Last week coach was saying “we need to feed Mack more”to this week, he doesn’t even get the ball more than twice.  

11 hours ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Yea, that run made me mad I passed on him w/top waiver last week.

The next time he took a handoff he immediately cut and tried to bounce outside.  Completely ignored the blocking scheme and got dropped for a 5 yard loss.

That looks like the problem with Mack.  His second attempt he tried to do the exact opposite of what made his first run successful - following his blockers.  It seems that those big runs only encourage him to try for a homerun every time.

Definitely think the Colts should give him more carries to work through it, but if he doesn't learn he's going to ride the bench like tonight.

to be fair it was likely a loss on that play no matter what he did.

Turbin's touches have to go somewhere.  Pushing Gore just helps Mack's prospects in the end.  Yes, Gore is an iron-man, but even iron-men have limits, especially ancient ones.  Mack's opportunities to showcase his explosiveness are about to go up substantially. 

What is encouraging to me, frankly, is that Indy's O-line isn't half bad, and Brissett is showing he's serviceable too (I thought Brissett was a true sleeper coming out of NC State two years ago).  He's proving it now.

The stars are a bit more aligned for Mack now.  If Gore were to get dinging up, look out.