NBC Sports Edge Forums

Marlon Mack 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

interested to see who the Colts call in/up to take that RB spot Turbin vacated - will tell us a whole lot about what they really think of Mack. 

Would it be Matt Jones? I'd assume he'd be the guy regardless of how they may feel about Mack, just in case of injury during game day.

Edited by Vendetta
2 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

interested to see who the Colts call in/up to take that RB spot Turbin vacated - will tell us a whole lot about what they really think of Mack. 

wont gore just east up that usage, since he is a solid receiver and pass blocker? RBBC's are the worst, makes watching the games terrible, when your guy is just phased out for no apparent reason.

2 minutes ago, dakimbell said:

wont gore just east up that usage, since he is a solid receiver and pass blocker? RBBC's are the worst, makes watching the games terrible, when your guy is just phased out for no apparent reason.

Indy has always managed Gore's usage quite strictly (for good reason).  I'm predicting they don't break ranks and start pushing him.  

In the end, this lotto stuff is total guess work, but my eye and instincts have me leaning toward Mack getting increased run here (on an offense with a decent O-line and improving QB situation).  Again, the real play here is that Mack shines with the increased usage and then, boom, Gore takes some time off.  We would all look like geniuses then.

I don't think they trust Mack in pass protection so Matt Jones or Gore will get most of the former Turbin role in the passing game.

I think Mack gets a couple more plays designed to get the ball in his hands. Maybe 5 carries to see if he has the hot hand and 2-3 swing passes to get him out in space

21 minutes ago, Vendetta said:

Would it be Matt Jones? I'd assume he'd be the guy regardless of how they may feel about Mack, just in case of injury during game day.

good call - man, totally whiffed here - forgot about that dude entirely (no, i'm not a Jay Gruden alias)

?

Mack's in a tough spot, because he's an obvious game-breaker talent-wise, but the knocks on him are pass blocking and trying to hit a home-run too often.  If you're going to see 2 carries, tough to fault him for trying to hit 2 home-runs.  Hitting the hole for 2 yards and following your blocks isn't going to win you any additional playing time in his current position.

The thing that bothered me most, is hearing the criticism about his inability to block and since Tennessee was blitzing so heavily he was best kept on the bench.  That 's what RB SCREEN PASSES are for!!!  Indy's coaching staff doesn't come off looking too great after last night.  They were winning the game for the majority, it's not like they were in comeback mode until late.

Turbin's injury is a step in the right direction for Mack's snaps though, and judging by the overwhelming disgust in Pagano on Twitter I'd think the local media will be all over him about MAck's lack of use after last weeks claim he needed to find him more snaps.

1 minute ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

good call - man, totally whiffed here - forgot about that dude entirely (no, i'm not a Jay Gruden alias)

?

You can't be Gruden if you forgot about Matt Jones because Jay Gruden doesn't forget about fumbles.

I thought Mack could have even had a TD on that first run if he had run to the right of a defender that was being blocked on the right side. Maybe it was just an illusion based on the camera angle that the play was being shown from though.

5 minutes ago, Vendetta said:

I thought Mack could have even had a TD on that first run if he had run to the right of a defender that was being blocked on the right side. Maybe it was just an illusion based on the camera angle that the play was being shown from though.

I agree, I thought he was one easy cut away from being gone. 

34 minutes ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

I cut Gallman to pick up Mack only to cut Mack to pick up Kroft because Mack wasn't cutting the mustard.

The ticket holder TX BABE has left the station.

Good luck.

The bottom line is the same for all- we keep recycling “waiver hopefuls” who end up not living up to our expectations. 

Nothing wrong with hope.....and all it takes is for one to hit a home run. Still looking for that guy.  Gallman, Collins, McKissic, Darkwa, on and on....

28 minutes ago, Vendetta said:

That's what I saw too. A better block and he was gone. I was thinking a touchdown on his first carry and then riding him to the championship as the Colts realize what they have. Oh well. 

4 minutes ago, Sticky2 said:

That's what I saw too. A better block and he was gone. I was thinking a touchdown on his first carry and then riding him to the championship as the Colts realize what they have. Oh well. 

Thought the same thing, briefly

3 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

So, how long do you hold this guy hoping he can get some sniffs at tds and replace the old man as the number one back?

Not even necessary. With Turbin out he should be able to carve out a role. It seems the fantasy gods are determined to force the Colts to give Mack the ball.

3 minutes ago, Sticky2 said:

Not even necessary. With Turbin out he should be able to carve out a role. It seems the fantasy gods are determined to force the Colts to give Mack the ball.

It would seem that way, except for when a normal person zigs, Pagano...creates some nonsensical word, because he thinks he is a genius.

18 minutes ago, Sticky2 said:

My faith is small on this one though. Last night’s two carries really put great doubt in my mind.......but I WANT TO BELIEVE. 

3 hours ago, Vendetta said:

He was also wide open on the play where Brissett got the grounding call. 

Coaches watch him in practice (when he's healthy enough) and until they have faith in him not to get his QB killed he won't see much 3rd down work. Especially after Luck comes back (if he ever does this year)

Wouldn't be surprised to see Matt Jones get some of Turbin role on passing downs