NBC Sports Edge Forums

Marlon Mack 2017 Season Outlook

1 hour ago, Mahomet said:

Ugh. Am I an idiot for holding Mack when Smallwood is on the waiver wire? The upside....sweet sweet upside. 

We draft 9/5. I wish I had a wire to stare at. It's a bone yard by week 6. 

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, owenmills said:

Gore has been unbelievably durable but he will break down eventually. Hard to think he has much more in the tank so this very well could be it.

Pretty sure this statement has been made about Gore for the last...seven seasons. The dude is ageless.

13 hours ago, yossarian said:

Pretty sure this statement has been made about Gore for the last...seven seasons. The dude is ageless.

It has been, I've said it plenty of times. But he's not quite ageless, it'll catch up to him. I'm not saying overpay for his backup but as the years go by I pay more & more attention to who it is

1 hour ago, jtbgator said:

Big time sleeper this year but Luck needs to get healthy

His value isn't tied to Luck like TY, his chances of seeing the field actually might be higher with Luck out to begin the year. They'll have to depend on the run game and get playmakers on the field.

Every year Gore's backups are popular adds but this is the first time he had a legit talent behind him. I like Mack a lot and have him on every team so far. 

On 8/21/2017 at 10:33 PM, owenmills said:

Gore has been unbelievably durable but he will break down eventually. Hard to think he has much more in the tank so this very well could be it.

Gore is going to put up another solid year. Call it a hunch but I'm targeting him everywhere. 

1) Who knows what happens with Luck and how he holds up all year. Regardless, Luck's success is Gore's success.

2) No good depth behind him so he should have the lion's share 

3) RB's who will get as many carries as him + goal line work at his ADP is a steal

4) He is approaching milestones that can be broken this year - if Gore rushes for 600 yds he will rank 5th all time. 

No one even brings up Gore this year in drafts or even thinks of him as an all time great. But he's been durable as hell, and he could quietly sneak into 4th all time if he rushes for 1100 yds. I'm big on milestone years, and though Gore is old I think he still has some left in the tank. Just this year though.... 

Edit: Want to add, I just watched some film of Mack. I wouldn't compare him to Charles, but he definitely passes the eye test as a threat. Nice vision and wiggle. I would handcuff Gore for sure but not worried about Gore losing carries unless due to injury. 

Edited by A27K
18 minutes ago, A27K said:

Gore is going to put up another solid year. Call it a hunch but I'm targeting him everywhere. 

1) Who knows what happens with Luck and how he holds up all year. Regardless, Luck's success is Gore's success.

2) No good depth behind him so he should have the lion's share 

3) RB's who will get as many carries as him + goal line work at his ADP is a steal

4) He is approaching milestones that can be broken this year - if Gore rushes for 600 yds he will rank 5th all time. 

No one even brings up Gore this year in drafts or even thinks of him as an all time great. But he's been durable as hell, and he could quietly sneak into 4th all time if he rushes for 1100 yds. I'm big on milestone years, and though Gore is old I think he still has some left in the tank. Just this year though.... 

Edit: Want to add, I just watched some film of Mack. I wouldn't compare him to Charles, but he definitely passes the eye test as a threat. Nice vision and wiggle. I would handcuff Gore for sure but not worried about Gore losing carries unless due to injury. 

Agreed 

do you like Mack im dynasty for next year or late this season though ?

Personally, I think Gore holds up this year and then retires. To be doing this for as long as he has, and at the age he is (34?) I don't see why we should think age is a concern now, he's probably figured out how to keep his body better than most rookies.  I would definitely target Mack next year or in dynasty leagues, as I think he has the makings of the next big 3 down back when Gore is gone in an offense that has a lot of weapons but still could use some offensive line help.  I think you could get him late in any 12 team draft this year. Probably will go undrafted in most unless your league actually pays attention to preseason ball.

On 8/26/2017 at 7:49 PM, cdd10 said:

isn't mack the 3rd string RB?

Call me crazy but I don't see Robert Turbin suddenly being a capable starter if Gore were to go down. Mack has what both Gore (at this point in his career) and Turbin lack which is a level of explosiveness/big play ability.

Just now, munde53 said:

Call me crazy but I don't see Robert Turbin suddenly being a capable starter if Gore were to go down. Mack has what both Gore (at this point in his career) and Turbin lack which is a level of explosiveness/big play ability.

was that the 2nd or 3rd string defense in there? :P he could become starter i agree. 

Can someone give me the quick notes on this guy? I snagged him late in my draft. Debating dropping him for another ticket.

I remember reading a few things about how he's had a weak preseason and has no chance to impact this year. Usually I take stuff like that with a grain of salt though.

On 8/30/2017 at 0:53 AM, 10giz said:

Can someone give me the quick notes on this guy? I snagged him late in my draft. Debating dropping him for another ticket.

I remember reading a few things about how he's had a weak preseason and has no chance to impact this year. Usually I take stuff like that with a grain of salt though.

Early in the season, they are going to run Gore into the ground.  Gore looks strong right now but he will start wearing down by mid-season.  Gore won't be resigning with the Colts after this season. 

I see Mack as someone who will get a few touches per game until closer to the end of the season when he might get more run so the Colts can see what they have. Turbin will also get a few touches per game and possibly more as the season wears on.  However, at some point, probably late in the season, Mack will start getting more run.  How he performs will depend on a lot of factors (e.g., offensive line, quarterback, etc.).

2 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

not looking very promising then lol

Grigson left the cupboard bare.  Hopefully, my pessimism will fade as the season wears on, but as a Colts fan, it may be a year or two before the ship gets righted.

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Early in the season, they are going to run Gore into the ground.  Gore looks strong right now but he will start wearing down by mid-season.  Gore won't be resigning with the Colts after this season. 

I see Mack as someone who will get a few touches per game until closer to the end of the season when he might get more run so the Colts can see what they have. Turbin will also get a few touches per game and possibly more as the season wears on.  However, at some point, probably late in the season, Mack will start getting more run.  How he performs will depend on a lot of factors (e.g., offensive line, quarterback, etc.).

Agreed.  I see Gore getting the majority of the carries until the Colts are out of playoff contention.  Once that happens the coaches and management will want to see what they have in Mack and if he is the future or if they have to go back to the RB well next season/draft. I Figure by week 9-10 he gets a shot to start.

1 minute ago, the_real_ab said:

1 scoring TD and another one called back.  10 carries for 24 yards is ugly, but I can't ignore the points.  Thoughts about this guy??

Im probably going to claim him, gore has been an iron man the past few years but he is old so injury is always a real risk and mack looks to be ready to become at least a RB2 if given the opportunity

easily worth a flier unless your in like a 10 team league