NBC Sports Edge Forums

Marlon Mack 2017 Season Outlook

1 hour ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

Might seem insane... but I want him bad.  And sometimes when down in the bottom of the 9th, you gotta swing for the game-winning grand slam instead of try to get on base.  

3 minutes ago, CABLE87 said:

Im not sure if his name means anything, but he just seems like the homerun hitter to me. High risk high reward.

to the waiver wire!!
200.webp#9-grid1

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
  • Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

to the waiver wire!!
200.webp#9-grid1

Ah, but remember how that turned out?

George spent the whole engagement trying to get out of it, only to finally be relieved when she died from licking cheap, toxic wedding envelopes...

Thank you for this post, you've helped me be at ease with my decision to pass on him with #1 claim.  I find your post... ominous.  The root of that word is omen.

Let me explain:

George makes the decision to propose because he feels like he's spinning in circles and he's supposed to.  I feel similarly about my team, which is 2-3 now - 2 games behind 1st in division and 1 back of the only wc spot.  I've sat on the #1 claim all season, and it's uncomfortable.

Back to the omen.  George wants to get out the whole time doesn't feel he can end it directly himself; he wants an excuse (hi Cooper owners).  My worry with Mack is that he's boom/bust and nagging injury prone.  Your gif reassures me that owning him for me would be much like being engaged for George.  Would never know when to start him and wouldn't be able trade him.

Finally, like Susan being killed by cheap toxic envelopes, Mack will end up on IR because of Indy's cheap, shabby line.  I'd be relieved, like George, but wouldn't have waiver priority anymore.

Thus ends the prophecy.

Edited by SadFaceHappy

I increased my bid from $21 to $42 out of a $200 faab budget on Mack....no one else even bid on him. I won :(

Everyone put bids on Mcguire and Breida (and Jordan Reed who was dropped). This is a competitive big money league...makes no sense?

Got him for 25/100 FAAB in my competitive league. Surprised I got him as well. Maybe the sentiment (on players) is higher on these forums than I thought haha. I'm expecting Mack to get the most of the touches by week 17, with weekly steps if he keeps performing. If Gore gets injured, that would be the best scenario for Mack owners obviously. 

CSB: Traded Gore yesterday and with thoughts to get Mack back through WW. Feeling like Jordan Belfort.

These forums have a way getting us on the hype train I think :)  But that's why I love it here....Mack wasnt a huge pick up on any of the major fantasy sites I visit, so lets hope he breaks outl

CSB: I lost Beckham, so I may have over reacted...but I scooped up Reed, Mack, and Mcguire tonight 

15 minutes ago, Guile said:

I increased my bid from $21 to $42 out of a $200 faab budget on Mack....no one else even bid on him. I won :(

Everyone put bids on Mcguire and Breida (and Jordan Reed who was dropped). This is a competitive big money league...makes no sense?

"Competitive" and "Big Money league" should never be in the same sentence as "Jordan Reed on the waiver wire."

2 hours ago, Guile said:

2 hours ago, the holy one said:

Got him for 25/100 FAAB in my competitive league. Surprised I got him as well. Maybe the sentiment (on players) is higher on these forums than I thought haha.

I threw $78 at him (2nd highest was $45). 

My thinking was this: most fantasy leagues start playoffs around week 13 right? in the next 8 weeks, how likely is there going to be a running back (super thin position) with excellent pedigree and upside who also has a fairly reasonable chance to seize a starting back role? 

this might make y'all feel better. If you keep listening, he gets progressively more delirious as it goes on, it's pretty funny. Try not to get an erection when he mentions Mack in the same breath as Dalvin Cook lol  <--- not saying he was on point or anything

To me the downside of a hefty bid isn't so much the lost FAAB, but the weight of expectations for that player (and possible disappointment). 

Slimmer FAAB budget? meh. I'm broke now, but it won't stop me from throwing out tons of $0 bids every week like a sleazy guy hitting on every woman at the bar at 2am. 

and holy one: it's true that sentiment is extra high on these forums-- and a lot of touted "hot adds" don't apply to the league size/depth of a lot of league... but Mack was all over the fantasy columns and pods yesterday... he's far from an obscure waiver add. 

Hope he slays, and makes us proud fantasy papas.

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

Well, you guys convinced me. Nobody picked him up in my league so I got him for free.

i guess the question is his how much value he has as long as Gore stays healthy or if he manages to carve out a significant role.

Edited by Sticky2

Gore is an iron man. If you're counting on him getting injured then you're probably in for disappointment.

The good news is that if Mack continues playing like he is they will have no choice but to carve out a role for him. We might see a 50/50 split or better in his favor, so there's still value here as a RB3/flex with virtually no changes to the status quo.

I wouldn't ever bet against Gore, but even so the upside here is too high to pass up...especially if you can grab him for free this morning.

2 hours ago, TennisMenace said:

I'm mulling over taking Mack since no one did, but I'm not sure he is any better than my Collins. I can't stash all these guys on bye weeks.  Can someone convince me why MACK should be my man? Thanks

Coach Pagano said after last weeks game that "it would wise to try to find ways to get (Marlon Mack) the football and get him more involved".

So whether Gore gets injured or not, it looks like Mack will have a role going forward.

I drafted him, then dropped him after he got hurt and I missed out on him on the waiver wire this week.

33 minutes ago, AnchorDown said:

Gore is an iron man. If you're counting on him getting injured then you're probably in for disappointment.

Man, at some point though they have to give the young guys a shot regardless of his health. It would be a different story if he was 29 or 30 but he's 34. They aren't going anywhere with Frank Gore.

5 hours ago, Guile said:

These forums have a way getting us on the hype train I think :)  But that's why I love it here....Mack wasnt a huge pick up on any of the major fantasy sites I visit, so lets hope he breaks outl

CSB: I lost Beckham, so I may have over reacted...but I scooped up Reed, Mack, and Mcguire tonight 

You get a skewed sample here.

Only people that see something in a guy go through the effort of doing more research and coming to these threads.  Most don't waste time if they don't like a player.  If you've already decided you're not grabbing him, what's the point in discussion.

For example, I've never once been in the Crowell thread (no way), or Bell (no chance), or Ellington (miss).

We're all here because we're trying to figure out what to do.  On a guy like Mack, the decision at this point isn't about playing him or not, but picking him up.  If we're thinking of picking him up, we're going to be optimistic  (otherwise we wouldn't pick up).  So you get a lot of positive projections on the threads for WW adds of new guys because nobody knows what the player is and wants to believe.  You're going to get the optimistic sample.  Key is thinking about the "why", not the what of, people say.

FWIW, Mack looks explosive but I passed. Have #1 claim on a rotation system (so I kept it) but 3 things worry me:

1. Unreliable usage.  I can definitely see this guy (as with many others) alternating between big games a 0 point games without any real way of predicting.

2. Small sample, garbage+injured Oline

3. He seems fragile to me.  Don't Know why, but he does.

3z. Honestly, George video sealed it for me.  I give the reasoning in a post from around midnight est

Are we forgetting Turbin randomly vulturing goal-line looks?

I'm not too sure what's all that exciting here.  Gore is still cemented in that backfield.

Here's Marlon Mack's YPC:

Week 1: 10 carries for 24 rushing yards (with a long run of 24 yards, which meant he had 9 other carries for zero net rushing yards...).

Week 2: 6 carries for -3 rushing yards (-0.5 YPC)

Week 3: 0 carries

Week 4: 0 carries

I'm not saying players can't come out of nowhere and perform, but I'm not seeing consistent performance either.  Whether that has to do with the teams/defenses they played, the quarterback situation, or the O-line, this doesn't feel like a Jay Ajayi blow-up waiting to happen.

3 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

They love Gore (for good reason).  They aren't benching him.

The HC agrees with us that Mack needs to be more involved.  But does that = a guy you can start over other options?  More realistic that 2018 is Mack's year.

I agree, I'm passing on him currently in redraft I think as I already have Jones, McGuire, and Henry lottery tickets... but he potentially has a lot of value in keeper/dynasty. 

But he's as good a stash as any especially if Gore goes down.

Nobody picked him up in a couple of my leagues, I got him in one I'm helping a friend with where he drafted horribly, and I actually started him in a FFPC where I had to stash backups with my horrible RB drafting (sorry for the CS).

Anyway, my concerns with Mack are that he will always be limited in his workload pending a Gore injury, and that even then the Colts would replace Gore's touches with touches from another back.  All of my sentiments come from perusing through a dedicated Marlon Mack thread on the Colts forum [that has probably well over 100 posts since Sunday].  You have a small few who want him to become the work horse, but the general feeling is that he best suited as a COP back, and that he struggles between the tackles.  Speaking on how the SF game went, they said he pretty much only succeeds on outside sweep type runs, and that they believe much of his success came from Gore wearing out the defense with inside runs.  They feel the Colts have a perfect dynamic with Gore being the banger who wears the defense down, and Mack coming in as an effective COP.

That's not to say he cannot thrive in this role, but I don't feel he is a lotto ticket in terms of having a guy who will supplant Gore in the short or long run.  It seems like all things just went right for him against the 49ers and that his usage isn't likely indicative of how it will be going forward.  Perhaps there is something to Pagano's statement, but who knows?

I think like many here have said, he's worth a gamble for free.   Gore never gets injured, but that doesn't mean he eventually won't.  It could happen or Mack could just warrant more touches.  This is just one of the many "could be an RB2 sometimes" guys now.  I do like his upside with more touches than I ever did Gore this year.