NBC Sports Edge Forums

Marlon Mack 2017 Season Outlook

I fell for the fantasypros hype and burned my #5 waiver on this guy in many leagues. He was ranked #1 or #2 as pick up of the week and tagged with "league championship upside" .. sort of regretting it now reading the comments on here about how Gore won't fade into the background and how Mack is a outside tackle runner only.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, dannyz6969 said:

I fell for the fantasypros hype and burned my #5 waiver on this guy in many leagues. He was ranked #1 or #2 as pick up of the week and tagged with "league championship upside" .. sort of regretting it now reading the comments on here about how Gore won't fade into the background and how Mack is a outside tackle runner only.

...on THAT offense?

Lol...

5 minutes ago, dannyz6969 said:

I felt the same regret last week when I picked up Aaron Jones but felt I needed to since I have TY Mont, so glad I picked him up. My point is, don't listen too much to the hype and non-hype; go withyour gut feeling and what your team needs.

5 minutes ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

I felt the same regret last week when I picked up Aaron Jones but felt I needed to since I have TY Mont, so glad I picked him up. My point is, don't listen too much to the hype and non-hype; go withyour gut feeling and what your team needs.

His team pretty clearly needed more cowbell.

I have both mack and gore so non biased here. As much as I hope he breaks out I just don't think he's that good. He has speed but thats about the only thing he has. Guy takes a hand off then just blasts forward at 100 miles an hour, hits his lineman bounces back then tries to take it around the edge. He doesn't have good vision between the tackles at all. He has zero patience. I don't think he will be a good NFL running back but I am hoping for the best. 

5 hours ago, Robrain said:

Are we forgetting Turbin randomly vulturing goal-line looks?

I'm not too sure what's all that exciting here.  Gore is still cemented in that backfield.

Here's Marlon Mack's YPC:

Week 1: 10 carries for 24 rushing yards (with a long run of 24 yards, which meant he had 9 other carries for zero net rushing yards...).

Week 2: 6 carries for -3 rushing yards (-0.5 YPC)

Week 3: 0 carries

Week 4: 0 carries

I'm not saying players can't come out of nowhere and perform, but I'm not seeing consistent performance either.  Whether that has to do with the teams/defenses they played, the quarterback situation, or the O-line, this doesn't feel like a Jay Ajayi blow-up waiting to happen.

I understand the skepticism, and I feel really bad if that George gif pushed people to go overboard for Mack.

This "Tale of the Tape" is worth a click... it breaks down one of Mack's performances with gifs...   this juke is pretty sweet, too. 

On one hand I'm worried I just went hype crazy over a poor man's C.J. Prosise.... on the other hand I think there's a non-zero chance we just added the next Lesean McCoy off the waiver wire. Caught in the middle here- and I feel like his biggest groupie now, almost by default. 

Another positive note: last week Mack impressed by catching the edge outside, and blowing by defenders with speed. However, after a midnight deep dive into his college highlights, I saw a player who-- while he is no Leonard Fournette-- can run between the tackles, drag defenders (at times), and in my eyes can be a 3-down back, rather than a Chris Thompson type. I understand the concern that he is light and therefore vulnerable (5'11- 209)... he's definitely not a bruiser, or even a Hunt type with trunk legs... on the other hand, his agility is freaky and his breakaway speed is lethal. If he pops one... he gone. From what I can tell. 

Also, out of sheer curiosity, which player(s) on the waiver wire have Mack's pedigree and upside, and could explode if things break right? The few backup types with Derrick Henry-talent are owned...  it seems like even the D'onte Foremans of the world are owned...  Doctson/MikeWilliams/CoreyDavis have that big upside at receiver... but which unowned running back could break out if things go right? Seems like he'd really have to come out of nowhere ala Ajayi, or even Kurt Warner 

Signed,

Marlon's agent  

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
13 minutes ago, jonasdash said:

Curious on you guys opinion about this - is it pretty much a given that Mack will be the starter next year if Gore retires?

No, not a given. Next year's RB class is loaded, so there's a real chance the Colts draft someone they like more.

Crystal Ball: Week 12 Rotoworld AC Threads:

My Todd Gurley for his Marlon Mack- WHIR

Michael Thomas and Jay Ajayi for Marlon Mack- Fair offer, giving too much/not enough?

BLOCKBUSTER TRADE- Marlon Mack and others

Need Trade Help ASAP- Sell high on Marlon Mack or ride this horse to the 'ship?

12 hours ago, altmin said:

right now I have stuck in as RB2 thanks to the Hyde situation in addition to SF having to play Washington.

Not feeling great about that, but what can you do?

I dont blame you, if mariota sits another week, hell yeah

17 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I understand the skepticism, and I feel really bad if that George gif pushed people to go overboard for Mack.

This "Tale of the Tape" is worth a click... it breaks down one of Mack's performances with gifs...   this juke is pretty sweet, too. 

On one hand I'm worried I just went hype crazy over a poor man's C.J. Prosise.... on the other hand I think there's a non-zero chance we just added the next Lesean McCoy off the waiver wire. Caught in the middle here- and I feel like his biggest groupie now, almost by default. 

Another positive note: last week Mack impressed by catching the edge outside, and blowing by defenders with speed. However, after a midnight deep dive into his college highlights, I saw a player who-- while he is no Leonard Fournette-- can run between the tackles, drag defenders (at times), and in my eyes can be a 3-down back, rather than a Chris Thompson type. I understand the concern that he is light and therefore vulnerable (5'11- 209)... he's definitely not a bruiser, or even a Hunt type with trunk legs... on the other hand, his agility is freaky and his breakaway speed is lethal. If he pops one... he gone. From what I can tell. 

Also, out of sheer curiosity, which player(s) on the waiver wire have Mack's pedigree and upside, and could explode if things break right? The few backup types with Derrick Henry-talent are owned...  it seems like even the D'onte Foremans of the world are owned...  Doctson/MikeWilliams/CoreyDavis have that big upside at receiver... but which unowned running back could break out if things go right? Seems like he'd really have to come out of nowhere ala Ajayi, or even Kurt Warner 

Signed,

Marlon's agent  

Alec Collins

1 hour ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

dude that comes out of nowhere and becomes a gem??

I must be confused here. I was answering the question at the end, "which unowned RB could break out if things go right?" 

I put Mack on Collins level....same scenario pretty much. 

1 hour ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

dude that comes out of nowhere and becomes a gem??

I see this as a plausible scenario if Perine puts another one on the ground and Gruden benches him again, but as of now I'm taking Perine over him. However, Perine never had a ball security issue in college and I think it's because he more focused on learning Inform runs and trying to make the right reads.  One was a real tough one that almost any back would have lost in Oakland... Helmet directly to the ball. 

Perine is a rookie displaying signs of improvement with 3 down potential. 

Edited by Dirtywater97
16 minutes ago, dafreaks said:
Marlon Mack - RB - Colts

Colts coach Chuck Pagano said Marlon Mack is not ready to be an every-down or third-down back.

when we include this part of Pagano's quote: "because he has missed some time, he's a work in progress" it doesn't sound as cataclysmic, amirite?

and that shouldn't be any great surprise to anyone who took the plunge and snagged him - if anyone expected "ZOMG OVERNIGHT BELLCOW SAVIOR!!;1!111!" then they need to get out this magick foosball gig.

?

1 minute ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

when we include this part of Pagano's quote: "because he has missed some time, he's a work in progress" it doesn't sound as cataclysmic, amirite?

and that shouldn't be any great surprise to anyone who took the plunge and snagged him - if anyone expected "ZOMG OVERNIGHT BELLCOW SAVIOR!!;1!111!" then they need to get out this magick foosball gig.

?

I just cut and paste the blurb that was on the Rotoworld homepage at the time....Here is the full blurb as it appears now:

Colts coach Chuck Pagano said Marlon Mack is not ready to be an every-down or third-down back.

Mack erupted for 91 yards and a touchdown on nine carries against the 49ers, but Pagano said he is still a work in progress after missing some time due to injury. Mack has also been fairly boom-or-bust early in his career, failing to gain more than three yards on 18-of-25 attempts so far this season. Mack will likely see more touches moving forward, but he will need a more defined role to be usable in fantasy lineups.