NBC Sports Edge Forums

Marlon Mack 2017 Season Outlook

6 minutes ago, dafreaks said:

I just cut and paste the blurb that was on the Rotoworld homepage at the time....Here is the full blurb as it appears now:

Colts coach Chuck Pagano said Marlon Mack is not ready to be an every-down or third-down back.

Mack erupted for 91 yards and a touchdown on nine carries against the 49ers, but Pagano said he is still a work in progress after missing some time due to injury. Mack has also been fairly boom-or-bust early in his career, failing to gain more than three yards on 18-of-25 attempts so far this season. Mack will likely see more touches moving forward, but he will need a more defined role to be usable in fantasy lineups.

So basically he needs to be owned, goos to know that jax matchup looks too good

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, dafreaks said:

I just cut and paste the blurb that was on the Rotoworld homepage at the time....Here is the full blurb as it appears now:

Colts coach Chuck Pagano said Marlon Mack is not ready to be an every-down or third-down back.

Mack erupted for 91 yards and a touchdown on nine carries against the 49ers, but Pagano said he is still a work in progress after missing some time due to injury. Mack has also been fairly boom-or-bust early in his career, failing to gain more than three yards on 18-of-25 attempts so far this season. Mack will likely see more touches moving forward, but he will need a more defined role to be usable in fantasy lineups.

thanks for including the whole piece, helps us better ascertain the intended context of Pags' thought process. 

look, can't keep this genie in the bottle much longer ... kid is playing himself into game/scheme speed, and his talent will eventually result in many more touches.  

for those of us who are able to hold, think we get a very sizable R.O.I.

1 minute ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

thanks for including the whole piece, helps us better ascertain the intended context of Pags' thought process. 

look, can't keep this genie in the bottle much longer ... kid is playing himself into game/scheme speed, and his talent will eventually result in many more touches.  

for those of us who are able to hold, think we get a very sizable R.O.I.

Roi???

Quote from this article: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000860038/article/pagano-itd-be-wise-to-get-marlon-mack-more-involved

"I think it'd be wise to try to find ways to get him the football and get him more involved," Pagano said, via the team's official website. "I think that would've happened by itself had he been available the entire time. But it's good to have him back."

Makes it sound like a matter of when, not if, Mack takes the feature role.

Edited by jeffnsee

IF you look at the tweet that RW blurb came from, Pagano said he's missed some time, so he's not ready yet. Sounds like motivational coachspeak to me, trying to have him practice and such so he can "earn" a role. No doubt he could use reps as a rookie but his play has already warranted a larger role. Again, I think it's only a matter of time for Mack. 

ESPN’s Mike Wells expects Marlon Mack to have an "increased workload" on Monday night against the Titans.

This falls with Chuck Pagano’s plan to get Mack more carries. Mack led Indy to an overtime win last week, adding a big-play threat to an offense that’s lacked splash plays without Andrew Luck. The Colts have misplaced loyalty to Frank Gore, a 34-year-old on an expired deal with three straight sub-4.0 YPC seasons . Mack was a workhorse for star HC Willie Taggart at USF — starting 36-of-36 games — and is miscast in a change-up role. The Colts need to make the move to Mack if they want to get him double-digit starts — a streak he’s had since college. Mack is the future in Indy and deserves to start.

CHOO CHOO!!! AAALL ABOARD
1 minute ago, Can't Win said:

Are ppl sleeping on this guy? I picked him up on FAAB for $22. I know I beat out another guy who bid $21. My other 2 leagues picked up as a FA. Mack passes the eye test for me. Yea he’s on my bench, just wanna see his involvement week 6 

IMO, he's easily one of the top bench stashes in the game. His talent really jumps off the screen, even in relation to a bunch of his peers in this stacked rookie RB class.

Just now, augustine said:

IMO, he's easily one of the top bench stashes in the game. His talent really jumps off the screen, even in relation to a bunch of his peers in this stacked rookie RB class.

The difficult thing is that there are a lot of other talented RBs that seem to have bigger opportunities at the moment, i.e. Perine, Collins. Maybe not as talented, but seem slated to get more touches at least this weekend.

Then you have guys like D.Henry and Breida who seem slated for more involvement going forward and also are talented backs.

It's pretty hard keeping up with the RW blurbs when trying to decide which one of these guys should be owned.....right now Mack is the odd man out for me (own all others). Could easily blow up in my face.

3 minutes ago, meverett85 said:

The difficult thing is that there are a lot of other talented RBs that seem to have bigger opportunities at the moment, i.e. Perine, Collins. Maybe not as talented, but seem slated to get more touches at least this weekend.

Then you have guys like D.Henry and Breida who seem slated for more involvement going forward and also are talented backs.

It's pretty hard keeping up with the RW blurbs when trying to decide which one of these guys should be owned.....right now Mack is the odd man out for me (own all others). Could easily blow up in my face.

Agreed. There's lots of sexy RB stashes right now and it's difficult to rank them. IMO, it's best to just go with your gut and take as many bites of the apple as you can. IMO, more than a couple of those guys will hit, and therefore I'm not gonna beat myself up if I'm wrong on, say, Mack or Breida.

4 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

If you can afford to stash Marlon, I think he'll start to take over once Andrew Luck comes back. That's when he'll really start to give value in my opinion. 

Yep me too, he could be really good with Luck back thsre

1 hour ago, dakimbell said:

Yep me too, he could be really good with Luck back thsre

i'm as high on this kid as anyone, but ... if he can't get pass pro down, he's gonna be tough to keep on the field with Luck out there  - the organization is built around #12, and being able to protect him is as big a job as there is for any rb on the field.

Edited by pastorofmuppets2
19 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

i'm as high on this kid as anyone, but ... if he can't get pass pro down, he's gonna be tough to keep on the field with Luck out there  - the organization is built around #12, and being able to protect him is as big a job as there is for any rb on the field.

If it was built around him, they'd have a better o line.

You can't read too much into the blurbs as they contradicting themselves this week but Mack has a Monday Night matchup. Going up against the Titans with Mariota possibly out might mean they need to lean on Mack to get a W if they even care about W's. 

How do we feel about conflicting reports on playing time? Coach says he isn’t a even a third down back and some reporter says he is getting an extended role. Is pagano sandbagging on purpose? Wasn’t planning on starting him but this News of Perine not starting may have forced an audible 

I don't think it matters a whole lot.  Gore is still around and I don't see them benching him completely anytime soon, meaning Mack won't be able to reach his ceiling this season anyways.  A fine guy to have on the bench, but to expect him to break out and run away with the starting job or anything at any point this season is probably a bit optimistic.