NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ty Montgomery 2017 Season Outlook

26 minutes ago, Proteus said:

When you run that upright, this is gonna happen.

And happen and happen and happen.

I like Montgomery but I'm in pain just thinking about him out there.

Yeah, look at all those games Eric Dickerson missed due to injury. What a bust.

:eyeroll:

Maybe he got a random injury like broken ribs because it's a random injury like broken ribs, he plays running back, and he had played more running back snaps than any running back in the NFL?

Keep your myths to yourself.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Nap Time said:

His ypc is bad, but he's looked great as a runner. 

He was balling and looked great against the Bears before he got hurt. Would have had a huge day on the ground. But really he makes his payday in the passing game imo.

1 hour ago, miasma16 said:

Yeah, look at all those games Eric Dickerson missed due to injury. What a bust.

:eyeroll:

Maybe he got a random injury like broken ribs because it's a random injury like broken ribs, he plays running back, and he had played more running back snaps than any running back in the NFL?

Keep your myths to yourself.

Myths?

If you run upright like he does, you are likely to take more shots to the ribs.

Dickerson? The master of out of bounds before contact? Montgomery runs tough. Your analogy is half baked.

18 minutes ago, Proteus said:

Myths?

Dickerson? The master of out of bounds before contact? Montgomery runs tough. Your analogy is half baked.

Don't try to move the goalposts. No analogy to Montgomery is going to work, because he's isn't used like any "running back" in the NFL.

I'm taking issue with your irrelevant post about upright running styles. Adrian Peterson runs upright. He "runs tough". He's 25th all-time in carries. Obviously, there are countless running backs that don't run upright that are made of glass and have short work made of their careers.

So as a TY owner, I am just sticking him in my PPR flex spot and if he is not a go, inserting Aaron Jones in there. I think Jones will have a decent game (10 points) if TY is out or limited.

Am I wrong here?

10 minutes ago, Chubbles said:

Jamal Williams had a full practice though, wouldn't he be the preferred handcuff?

That dude is a plodding pile of garbage, have you watched him? I mean he will get touches and we know the GB RB situation with McCarthy who is a goon when it comes to that.

Still If TY does not go I do not see how Jones does not get 12+ touches after seeing him last week

9 hours ago, Proteus said:

Myths?

Bell's one of the most upright runners there is and has yet to break a rib. Anecdotal evidence doesn't make anything true or statistical relevant just because you want it to. 

Edited by TheDoctor
55 minutes ago, CraftyRighty said:

That dude is a plodding pile of garbage, have you watched him? I mean he will get touches and we know the GB RB situation with McCarthy who is a goon when it comes to that.

Still If TY does not go I do not see how Jones does not get 12+ touches after seeing him last week

Jones had 49 yards on 13 carries last week.

Why are people talking about him like he gashed the Bears for 150 or something?  

If the Packers dont have TyMont, they're just gonna have Rodgers throw the ball more.  This isnt that complicated.  Too many people are making it so.

3 minutes ago, JaNelson38 said:

Jones had 49 yards on 13 carries last week.

Why are people talking about him like he gashed the Bears for 150 or something?  

If the Packers dont have TyMont, they're just gonna have Rodgers throw the ball more.  This isnt that complicated.  Too many people are making it so.

Not gonna get into a war about how much I dislike TyMont as a RB... BUT I will say the reason people are hyping Jones is because his touches all looked very good on tape. First career carry is a 3rd&1 and the guy is moving piles of Bear defenders for a first down. The TD run was a thing of beauty and there was a few times he should have been stopped for a significant loss but turned it into gains. 

I am obviously biased here but I think if you guys watch the tape you should be concerned and at the very least as TyMont owners try to pick him up in trade or FA as insurance.

Here are the highlights. I guess we see things very differently when it comes to Jones.  Calling his TD " a thing of beauty" might be a bit of a stretch.  He make a nice cut to hit the hole and dive into the endzone.  I would hope any NFL RB would have been able to score on that play.

Say what you will about Ty Mont and his "unorthodox" style at the RB position but with his pass catching ability combined with his size, and quickness there's really no other RB that fits the GB playbook / scheme better. This dude is perfect for his scenario...PERIOD!

I am worried about Montgomery losing early down work. I think most of his value comes from his receiving anyway, he'll still be a part of this great offense and likely RB2 with RB1 upside. it just seems logical for Packers to lighten his load some to keep him healthy especially if Williams or Jones appear capable of doing so. It seems like most people think Jones looks like the #2 option even if the depth chart doesn't say so. I am curious how Jones and Williams play styles compare. Jones is the bigger back but who is the best runner between the tackles, who would be the better bruising back, which one is faster, who is more elusive and who has better hands? I'm not sure either would have standalone value with Montgomery healthy and would likely be a timeshare if he wasn't but I'd like to better understand what role they could play both when Montgomery is healthy and if he isn't.

Forgot pass blocking that is another critical criteria that will determine how much work a guy gets since Packers are still a pass-first offense and none of these guys are going to change that while Rodgers is around. 

Edited by Jaw1
31 minutes ago, dre said:

Here are the highlights. I guess we see things very differently when it comes to Jones.  Calling his TD " a thing of beauty" might be a bit of a stretch.  He make a nice cut to hit the hole and dive into the endzone.  I would hope any NFL RB would have been able to score on that play.

I have to agree, I didn't see anything overly impressive. He had a few decent runs but his TD run was simply due to good blocking up front. I suspect if Ty sits, we will see a combination of Williams/Jones, but ultimately it will just open up the passing game more for Rogers. 

1 hour ago, RoboFroogs said:

Not gonna get into a war about how much I dislike TyMont as a RB... BUT I will say the reason people are hyping Jones is because his touches all looked very good on tape. First career carry is a 3rd&1 and the guy is moving piles of Bear defenders for a first down. The TD run was a thing of beauty and there was a few times he should have been stopped for a significant loss but turned it into gains. 

I am obviously biased here but I think if you guys watch the tape you should be concerned and at the very least as TyMont owners try to pick him up in trade or FA as insurance.

Jones got work because the two guys ahead of him were hurt and the Packers had a 3-4 score lead on the Bears at home.

The Dallas defense sucks, but the game in Dallas on Sunday is going to be likely close, and high scoring.  If you are the Packers, who are you going to trust with the ball in their hands in a high scoring game on the road - your HOF QB, or a rookie running back who looked decent in a blowout last game?

We all know the answer to this.  And we all know the answer to how the Packers feel about TyMont.  Jones has some long-term appeal.  But for this week vs. Dallas, Id be willing to bet Aaron Ripkowski plays more snaps than Jones does.

11 hours ago, miasma16 said:

Don't try to move the goalposts. No analogy to Montgomery is going to work, because he's isn't used like any "running back" in the NFL.

I'm taking issue with your irrelevant post about upright running styles. Adrian Peterson runs upright. He "runs tough". He's 25th all-time in carries. Obviously, there are countless running backs that don't run upright that are made of glass and have short work made of their careers.

How am I moving the goalposts? And it was your analogy, not mine.

And I think you misunderstand me. I’m commenting more on the likelihood of hurting from additional shots to the vulnerable area as opposed to getting injured in the first place.

Translation: He’s gonna be wincing and it’s going to suck if you’re counting on normal workload, running style, and most importantly, production.

2 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

Bell's one of the most upright runners there is and has yet to break a rib. Anecdotal evidence doesn't make anything true or statistical relevant just because you want it to. 

There is upright, and there is standing straight up.

Montgomery’s pad level s the highest I’ve ever seen coming through the traffic between tackles.

Per Rotoworld 

Ty Montgomery (ribs) will practice again on Thursday.

Coach Mike McCarthy said he thought Montgomery "practiced well" on Wednesday, and him getting back on the field Thursday is a good indication he will be able to play through the injury. Montgomery wore a protective vest during practice Wednesday to protect his ribs

Ty is not suited to play the RB position. Let Aaron Jones/Williams battle it out for the RB position, and move TY back to WR with a few(5-6) touches a game.

He will be more hindrance than help if he keeps getting hurt 10 plays into the games. It would benefit him a because he won't be getting hit so much and can take care of his health.

2 hours ago, Proteus said:

And I think you misunderstand me. I’m commenting more on the likelihood of hurting from additional shots to the vulnerable area as opposed to getting injured in the first place.

Oh, ok. Yeah I've heard plenty of people in this thread talking about how he was more likely to get injured in the first place from being upright. You're right, his broken ribs are more likely to get hit again if he runs like that.

Practice or no practice I just can't start Ty this week.  I'm hearing that his ribs are truly cracked...they're not just bruised right?  I don't see him playing much...or at all.  It's seems short sighted to me to put him out there like that.