NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ty Montgomery 2017 Season Outlook

4 minutes ago, Panthor said:

okay well they were down by double digits, sounds like game flow should have allowed for at least a few targets to the RB,  try again

What? Why would you think that?  Down by double digits why would they do dump offs when they need large gains?  Unless the defense was in total prevent its probably better to continue to feed WR's at that point.  I don't understand what the big deal is anyway.  Obviously Jones can catch the ball clear as day and he's very good at it.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own both of them and I'm starting Jones this week. I don't think TY plays much till after the bye. Going forward, a timeshare may not even be a bad thing, Montgomery's snap/carry rate was not sustainable. There are some backfields we're you could get away with starting two RB's and feel pretty good about it, especially in an offense thats going to score as much as GB is.

28 minutes ago, Panthor said:

so was he in the wrong lane last year when he was averaging over 6ypc in a game?  he seemed to be in the right lane when he was gashing CHI before the injury.  are you saying he was in the wrong lane then and Jones would have taken it to the house? 

or could it be that the o-line was getting healthier and more familiar with each other?  and the defense wasn't as good?  see how i did that, you can play that game the other way too. 

stop being so myopic and accept that not every has to be so black and white, it doesn't  have to be all or nothing

Hey I was just responding to your comment on yards before contact between Jones and Montgomery and I gave you my reasoning.  What does this have to do with YPC all of a sudden?  Did I say Monty was in the wrong lane last year?  No.  Did I suggest it? No.  Nor did I say or suggest any of those other things.  All I said is maybe the reasoning for Jones's yards before contact being higher than Monty's so far this year is not just because of the O-line coming back this past week,  but a combination of a healthy O-line in conjunction with Jones hitting the holes and lanes really well.  

2 hours ago, Bugs bunny said:

Have you ever thought the reason for the 3+ yards vs 1+ yards is actually a combination of Jones actually hitting the right lanes and holes in combination with better o-line blocking?   

No. 

Watch the highlight tapes of each runner and tell me what you see. 

I saw Ty getting hit in the backfield and Jones not getting touched before the second level running the same lanes. 

1 hour ago, billydough said:

No. 

Watch the highlight tapes of each runner and tell me what you see. 

I saw Ty getting hit in the backfield and Jones not getting touched before the second level running the same lanes. 

I don't need to watch film. I watch the games. That's pretty much all we do here in Packerland.  I agree Jones got to the hole and lane much quicker and explosive than Monty has been which leads to more yards before contact.  Anyways it's all just opinion and,  either way,   I'm really excited to watch these two guys work and share this backfield together.  They both bring unique skilll sets and should make for a great backfield imo.  It really is amazing to see the Pack have yet another big offensive weapon in Jones. 

43 minutes ago, Irish bayou said:

Ty Montgomery Is wY better than Jones sorry ...watch his tape from last year ... the fact he cut his locks hurt his strength a little bit but I think he will dominate once he gets healthy.  I'm still on board

Sarcasm???

Right now we have 1 game on Aaron Jones. He was not an early round pick in the "real" draft. Really there's not enough sample size to say what he will do after a couple weeks in the offense and against top defenses. I think when Ty comes back, it's too early to say this is going to be all Aaron Jones. Ty was leading the NFL in snap percentage when he got hurt. Aaron was third string. Why? I don't know but the Packers have seen him since the draft and didn't put him in for any snaps. Maybe McCarthy missed his game speed. Either way, it is clear he has now earned some role when Ty is back, but has he earned a bellcow role? I don't think so yet. 

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:01 PM, Panthor said:

way to start  back pedaling there. 

stop trying to discount his pass blocking already.  it has already been noted the improvement he made there and it has directly attributed to his usage on the field

it remains to be seen how much of the play book jones knows, with over 20 targets in 3 games it is safe to that the rb position is an integral part of the passing game.  and Jones had all of 1 target last week.  so clearly it wasn't an all systems go situation on the passing front.   if it were i'd expect at least a handful of targets, the fact  that there was basically no passing game for rbs speaks volumes

he has shown himself to be a quality and productive 3 down running back.  and he did it against good defenses when the o line was in transition.

No backpedaling. Just not going to continue arguing with you. I've watched every snap of Packer football the past 15 years. Montgomery does not excel as a pass blocker. With no metric to prove it, you're free to have your opinion, but it is a fruitless conversation. The improvements he made are because he was down right pitiful last year and there was nowhere else to go. His usage isn't related to that; it's due to the fact he knows the entire playbook while 3 others didn't. Williams is a great pass blocker and that's why he was getting 2nd string reps in place of Jones. He doesn't excel as a pass blocker and neither does Jones. Jones is a better runner; Montgomery the better receiver. There will be a place for both of these guys going forward. That's the rest I'm going to say on the topic.

9 hours ago, zzphish02 said:

Own both guys in 2 leagues..I honestly hope either Jones just runs away with it or flops big time this next game.  Would rather it be clear cut #1 rb rather than rbbc and deal with this the whole season.

Jones will be the clearcut RB1; however, Montgomery will be the clearcut 3rd down back. End of story.

33 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

No backpedaling. Just not going to continue arguing with you. I've watched every snap of Packer football the past 15 years. Montgomery does not excel as a pass blocker. With no metric to prove it, you're free to have your opinion, but it is a fruitless conversation. The improvements he made are because he was down right pitiful last year and there was nowhere else to go. His usage isn't related to that; it's due to the fact he knows the entire playbook while 3 others didn't. Williams is a great pass blocker and that's why he was getting 2nd string reps in place of Jones. He doesn't excel as a pass blocker and neither does Jones. Jones is a better runner; Montgomery the better receiver. There will be a place for both of these guys going forward. That's the rest I'm going to say on the topic.

Agree. Ty is awful at pass protection.  Signed a GB fan. 

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reports Aaron Jones is expected to split carries with Ty Montgomery (ribs) this week.

This adds workload concern for Jones coming off his breakout Week 5. Montgomery practiced fully and will play with a flak jacket. The Packers haven’t used a committee this year, with Jones and Montgomery dominating snaps in their starts, but it sounds like both could have roles. Jones has outplayed Montgomery and is the better bet for carries.

Relevant:

How much of Aaron Jones' performance last week was because of the Packers O-line opening gaping holes?

His performance to me right there seems based on well-blocked plays combined with enough speed to get the edge and good vision.  Not anything fancy, no real tackle-breaking or juking defenders.

I just watched all those runs.  Jones looks like he has very nice vision and burst.  He weaved through the scrum on a lot of those carries, and he had one really nice cutback where the play's designed path was into a brick wall.  Kid is going to be a star.  For Packer fans, it must feel great to finally have a running back.