NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Ty Montgomery 2017 Season Outlook

I really thought Ty was perfect for a new QB...  back with an option to pass... like c'mon... Very uninspired play-calling. 

My optimistic analysis for Ty is they REALLLLY wanted to see what they have in Jones, and it doesn't hurt letting Ty rest his bones through the bye.  I mean they didn't even have him out there on 3rd downs, they had Cobb taking snaps instead.  He still has a unique skillset, a skillset that made him a weapon with Rodgers and one that can help protect a new QB.  I just think it's too easy to get caught up in the fantasy perspective and numbers and forget that the staff isn't thinking that way, and there is very little insight on what they are thinking. 

Am I dropping? No.  Am I starting him Week 9?  Probably not.  He's a hold.  Obviously the play-calling on both fronts didn't win GB the game, so you can't assume it will be the same.

Edited by 7sof

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, jpmvg3 said:

I guess that's why they drafted 2 running backs and benched Montgomery the first chance they got.

Not this again. They drafted 2 running backs because he was literally their only running back. This is just 47 pages of rehashing the same things over and over again.

1 hour ago, jpmvg3 said:

The dude just isn't good. It's really that simple

He got 900 yds last season off half a season and over the first 3 games (before breaking his ribs) was well on target for a 1000+ yd season with already 3 TDs under his belt. If that "just isn't good" we may have different standards.

1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

He got 900 yds last season off half a season and over the first 3 games (before breaking his ribs) was well on target for a 1000+ yd season with already 3 TDs under his belt. If that "just isn't good" we may have different standards.

I wouldn't go so far as to say he isn't a good player, but he was definitely not on pace for 1,000 rushing yards through the first 3 games. If you're talking about 1,000 yards from scrimmage, well since when has that been considered the benchmark of a good season? That is down in the Terrence West, Latavius Murray, Matt Forte territory of players last season. Even Todd Gurley got 1,200 YFS in what was considered a bad season. 

Ty was good last year, but he really only had one game that matched what Jones has done in 2/3 games that he has gotten meaningful touches this year. 

9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

he was definitely not on pace for 1,000 rushing yards through the first 3 games.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/2577134/ty-montgomery

2017 REGULAR SEASON GAME LOG

RUSHING

RECEIVING

FUMBLES

DATE

OPP

RESULT

ATT

YDS

TD

REC

YDS

TD

FUM

LST

Sun 9/24

vs CIN

W 27-24 (OT)

Sun 9/17

@ ATL

L 23-34

Sun 9/10

vs SEA

W 17-9

REGULAR SEASON STATS

extrapolated over 15 games:

I didn't say rushing yards, I said yards. Extrapolated it over 15 games instead of 16 because I'm a nice guy and Ty was never going to make it 16 games, but even with 12 games he could have made it.

Edited by Boudewijn

16 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Ty was good last year, but he really only had one game that matched what Jones has done in 2/3 games that he has gotten meaningful touches this year. 

Ty is a better player this year compared to last year.  Last year he was just learning the position and was terrible in pass blocking, so he couldn't be used very much.

there's a lot of delusional people in this thread, and sadly, i am one of them. I picked up tymo off waivers burning a #2 claim before sundays game thinking this might be a 50/50 backfield, or he'll win his job back.. clearly this is Jones' backfield after last game.

I cant drop him yet, but he might be a drop. Smh.

I don't see much success for either AJ or TyMo going forward, AJ caught the saints D off guard on the road. This offense won't get them inside the 5 for those goalline TDs. 

The Ty owners who somehow thought he could hold off a real running back while wincing through games with broken ribs could perhaps be forgiven because Ty had some success last year and Rodgers loves him.  But still holding out hope, after Rodgers gets hurt and Jones does what he has done the last two games?  That's just delusional.  

If you want a bye-week fill in flex in ppr leagues, Ty's your man.  But the RB1 you thought you had is gone for good.

2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

If you want a bye-week fill in flex in ppr leagues, Ty's your man.  

Given that his bye week is this weekend, I'm going to wait a week and bench him week 9 and see if he can come back. With the bye week his ribs should be better, and it'll be interesting how the Packers use him while healthy.

If that's still only limited touches then it's a drop, but right now I still see sufficient reasons to hold and wait.