NBC Sports Edge Forums

Rishard Matthews 2017 Season Outlook

We saw what he was capable of with a little bit of volume and love from Mariota,

my main question for this year is with Sharpe most likely only improving and C Davis stealing volume, will Rishard still give us reliable WR2/3 numbers a lot of weeks?  he is obviously the kinda guy that can put up a dud any week, but he has shown that when the volume is there he has a great chance of at the very least respectable WR3 value 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rishard thrived in that X role and made a lot of tough catches. The reliable veteran they could plant on one side (right side IIRC).   Is Davis going to take a lot of that volume away or will they use him in the Kendall Wright role in certain packages with the aim of capitalizing on better matchups?  

As of now I still like Rishard to lead them in receptions with Davis having the best YPR.    A lot to be determined though

Edited by Impreza178

games            catches      yards           avg

2016 Tennessee Titans 16    65 945 14.5                  
2015 Miami Dolphins 11   43 662 15.4    

Mariota has shown he can be really good and with Matthews putting together two decent years in a row with the time/targets given to him he has shown he has value when used... its exciting they have a year together under their belts which can only help

but unlike in miami (aside from landry) and last year with virtually no other receiving threat stepping up it will take being highly competitive with the likes of Delanie Walker, DeMarco Murray, Derrick Henry, a possibly improved T Sharpe and the new edition of Corey Davis all in town. 

This offense could be really fun to watch and im truly hoping Rishard finds a way to be a part of it consistently 

Edited by aadam

Bye week fill-in. One of those guys that you can get relatively late that will put up consistent but unspectacular numbers barring an injury to the other receivers. Just too many mouths to feed. He'll be more valuable to the team in real-life than in fantasy. He'll probably be appropriately priced though, with the hype for Davis. Take him in the mid to late rounds and you might use him a few times. That's my expectation. 

2 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

Rishard thrived in that X role and made a lot of tough catches. The reliable veteran they could plant on one side (right side IIRC).   Is Davis going to take a lot of that volume away or will they use him in the Kendall Wright role in certain packages with the aim of capitalizing on better matchups?  

As of now I still like Rishard to lead them in receptions with Davis having the best YPR.    A lot to be determined though

I disagree. I think Corey Davis plays the X. And that other wide receiver they drafted, Taywan Taylor will be a good flanker with Sharpe in the slot. I'm not entirely sure where Rishard fits in but still he should be in on 2 WR sets. Jonnu Smith is really nice as well and Delanie Walker is going to be fed targets. 

But still, this offense is run first, and has a lot of options. I love the future prospects of these wide receivers, but as of now it's hard to put pen to paper where the targets are going to flow.

Demarco, Corey Davis, Taywan Taylor, Delanie Walker, Rishard Matthews, Tajae Sharpe. 

Tennesse only threw the ball 31.5 times last season. Buyers beware. 

Thanks Bolt, I completely forgot the tight end pick up and Taylor as well.  That only confuses things more.  Im thinking the TE was drafted mainly for keeping Mariota healthy with better blocking but obviously he will get some targets

I'm also wondering if Corey Davis' recovery from his ankle injury will hinder him in any way during camp or early season which could allow Matthews to pick up where he left off and solidify himself as the teams WR1 for at least for part of the season.

Even if it doesnt slow or keep him out at all and volume will be scarce at times Im thinking there will be many times where these new editions will actually help spread the D and give Matthews more room than last year, If he is healthy and in on most 2 WR sets than hopefully we see another year of improvement as we did from 2015 > 2016     

i guess i havent read up enough on sharpe because obviously drafting two WR's shows a pretty big lack of confidence at the very least in the depth of the position.  I could see after the first couple months  1 Davis 2 Matthews 3 Sharpe or Taylor 

but clearly drafting two Wr's doesnt show the most confidence in Matthews either 

58 minutes ago, aadam said:

i guess i havent read up enough on sharpe because obviously drafting two WR's shows a pretty big lack of confidence at the very least in the depth of the position.  I could see after the first couple months  1 Davis 2 Matthews 3 Sharpe or Taylor 

but clearly drafting two Wr's doesnt show the most confidence in Matthews either 

Matthews is what he is.   He's not a burner but reliable and makes the tough catches.   That's what gets it done in the pros .  Once again the RW assumption that talented rookie = instant microwave star will be proven wrong in the majority of cases. 

Rishard will lead the WRs in receptions and be a solid value.   

Edited by Impreza178
59 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Matthews is what he is.   He's not a burner but reliable and makes the tough catches.   That's what gets it done in the pros .  Once again the RW assumption that talented rookie = instant microwave star will be proven wrong in the majority of cases. 

Its rare you see a rookie WR blow up immediately, not many OBJs out there 

10 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

A notable stat or two when analyzing the Titans' receiving corps: Mathews tied DWalker in receptions last season (a 29 rec. drop for DWalker from 2015, since Mathews became a Titan). Their stats last year are comparable with Mathews slightly ahead (though he also played 16 games to Walker's 15).

RM:P 65 / 945 yards / 9 TDs

DW: 65 rec / 800 yards / 7TDs

21 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

If thats true he is criminally undervalued in ADP. I agree with you. I am biased for sure, but I think he might be the most underrated player in Fantasy in terms of value right now. Who else is around 7.06 that has as strong of a case to be the primary target with a plus QB and a high octane offense that ended the year 55 yards away from a 1000 yard season. Even with their two backs and run happy offense he has low WR1 potential, a good case for WR2 potential and I think a  likely case as a plus flex. Rookies rarely immediately transfer and yet they will still draw some coverage which should only help Rishard. The value is ludicrous in my mind and rookie hype will only help him be undervalued as we get closer to the season.

1 hour ago, nonstripedzebra said:

If thats true he is criminally undervalued in ADP. I agree with you. I am biased for sure, but I think he might be the most underrated player in Fantasy in terms of value right now. Who else is around 7.06 that has as strong of a case to be the primary target with a plus QB and a high octane offense that ended the year 55 yards away from a 1000 yard season. Even with their two backs and run happy offense he has low WR1 potential, a good case for WR2 potential and I think a  likely case as a plus flex. Rookies rarely immediately transfer and yet they will still draw some coverage which should only help Rishard. The value is ludicrous in my mind and rookie hype will only help him be undervalued as we get closer to the season.

Rishard Matthews had 65 receptions last season. The only WR2s or higher that had fewer receptions were Tyreek Hill and Kelvin Benjamin. Matthews had 108 Targets. Only Hill had fewer with 83 (and obviously a lot of his value was tied to what he did outside of receiving). Now they've added a 1st and 3rd round receiver. I think he was already a prime candidate for regression based on his volume last season, and with the new competition I find it hard to imagine him matching last season's numbers, much less improving them. 

To be fair though, he finished higher in standard last year than I realized. He's probably a still a value this year, but I'm tempering expectations. He's a WR3/Flex guy for me. 

Edited by '71 Bucks
  • 1 month later...

I think this guy could surprise us by showing the 2nd half of the season last year was legitimate talent and he and Mariota have possibly the best qb/wr rapport on the Titans including walker as well.  The addition of Davis hurts him, but overall there could be weeks where it will help with coverage. I picture Rishard doing his thing and going for 800-1000 and 8-10 TDs. He was only involved for roughly half a season last year and had those numbers so even with added talent I believe he can maintain them.. The value of this guy at his adp should stick and I think he will be a great value in the draft  as a potential weekly wr3 with wr1/2 weeks sprinkled all over 

• 3 weeks later...

20. Rishard Matthews, TEN
2017 Projection: 72 receptions / 1080 yards / 8 touchdowns (228 points)
Outlook: A free agent signing in the 2016 offseason, Matthews burst onto the scene in a big way last year, almost hitting 1,000 yards and showing that he can be "the guy" at wide receiver for an offense. He displayed skills that were never able to be shown in a crowded Miami receiving corps, and really grew into a true downfield weapon for the Tennessee offense. Matthews is an excellent player and seems to have a serious rapport with young gun Marcus Mariota. Tennessee added a lot to their offense this offseason in Eric Decker, Corey Davis and Taywan Taylor, but I expect Matthews to hold down his role as a familiar, downfield weapon for Mariota and provide excellent value for his price. Decker and Walker will no doubt steal some red zone looks, but this Tennessee team has no better downfield threat than Matthews. A big value in my eyes.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, cousinal111 said:

With Corey Davis falling behind in camp due to injury, what are you guys expecting from Rishard at this point?

Last year wasn't quite his ceiling bc we know he didn't start and wasn't targeted a big chunk of the season. That being said, Walker, Decker and Davis will significantly cut into situations he thrived in last year.. even considering this I think if he is fairly involved with a few explosions he should probably see 850-1150 with close to 10 TDs again .. It's almost inevitable that out of Decker, Davis and Walker at least one will be sidelined for a period of time due to injury or possible rookie ineffectiveness (still possible even with Davis being a freak athlete)

My guess is 

55-85 catches

750-1125 yards

5-9 TDs  

I don't think Matthews reached his ceiling last year, but I think his ceiling has significantly lowered this year with the acquisitions of other talented players.  Matthews had a lot of redzone success last year but I think Decker will take over that roll.

If interested in this new look Titans offense, I think drafting MM as your QB might be a better bet than trying to figure out the Decker vs. Matthews aspect of it. I read somewhere that Decker has had about a 1% increase in TD rate for his QB when he moves to a new team. Last season Mariota had a 5.7% TD rate. If he gets that up to 6.7-7% (if the Decker effect is true), then we are looking at Mariota throwing somewhere in the low 30 TD range. Just something to think about.

Beasted in the 2nd half last year. Even with the new additions, I'm more than willing to spend a 10th or 11th to see if him and Mariota are building some chemistry. He'll obviously lose some targets and td's, but I can see him finishing as Mariota's go-to guy and a top 30 wr

• 3 weeks later...