NBC Sports Edge Forums

Rishard Matthews 2017 Season Outlook

6 minutes ago, LuckyLukas said:

Even with them, I would start Matthews simply based on the matchup..and sit Robinson

Yeah, been struggling with that. I'm pretty flummoxed on what to think about Mathews. First Tennessee lets go of Wright so that has to be a clear sign that Mathews is their guy, Then they go and sign Decker and while drafting the best available receiver in the draft in Davis, so what does that say about their confidence in Mathews as a Wr1? Or is it they just want to most talent possible around their star QB Mariota? 

Edited by AroundTheHorn
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, AroundTheHorn said:

Yeah, been struggling with that. I'm pretty flummoxed on what to think about Mathews. First Tennessee lets go of Wright so that has to be a clear sign that Mathews is their guy, Then they go and sign Decker and draft the best available receiver in the draft in Davis so what does that say about their confidence in Mathews as a Wr1? Or is they just want to most talent possible around their star QB Mariota? 

If anything, they viewed Decker as a 1 year rental with a real goal line threat presence besides Delanie. Added the best receiver in the draft who long term will give them a serious threat outside of Matthews. Matthews was always a good deep route runner and decent possession guy, but never viewed as a true #1. The Titans defense might not be there, but their offense is built to win now. 

With regards to fantasy, I think Matthews has a couple good games early and fades due to the presence of everyone else. For TODAY, Delanie is the receiver who benefits most against Oakland. Rishard is likely to have one of his best games due to possible nagging injuries from the other guys and Oakland secondary really is that bad right now and tried to mask a lot of injuries during the preseason. Yes if you have the room to do it, you should flex him. Trade bait later.

• 2 weeks later...

I read somewhere as well that he also has the most completions when its further than 3rd and 10 which just goes to the point that he is the most trusted wr on the Titans. I dropped last week to pick up another TE for Reed being out and was able to get him back this week. He is def a great player to throw in during weeks with favorable matchups/byes. He will be in this week over cooper vs denver.

10 minutes ago, kdpat15 said:

Corey davis is out again this week...anyone feel safe firing Rishard up this week against Texans? Cooks just dominated them

I think he can be a flex play. He is going to see prob 7-10 targets and also Houston has to respect the run I would say more than the pats run game. Although, there was a lot of break downs in the texans make shift secondary. That last TD to cooks was embarrassing. He was so open. Also, Mariota can run, I dont think he gets as pressured as brady either. Flex play is my guess at best. I have him in for a struggling cooper v denver if that gives you any insight.

18 hours ago, Digitalpower35 said:

Do you think he has more value than Sanu this weekend? I have them both and not sure who I should play. 

Yes you play matthews this week. He is their go to WR by far and Mariotas most trusted wr (delanie close in both aspects)

Rishard is the real deal. 

his numbers have been impacted given mariota's somewhat cold start to the season- as mariota goes so does rish. 

thats is being said mariota wasn't given much of a chance fantasy wise against SEA last week and showed up- perhaps he's turning a corner- I have mariota ( last year as well after week 5) and he seems to play better as his confidence increases. that win will spark him. 

hes the clear #1 on a vg football team. 

hard to not like the guy given this. 

On 9/28/2017 at 6:16 PM, bigfatandugly said:

Rishard is the real deal. 

his numbers have been impacted given mariota's somewhat cold start to the season- as mariota goes so does rish. 

thats is being said mariota wasn't given much of a chance fantasy wise against SEA last week and showed up- perhaps he's turning a corner- I have mariota ( last year as well after week 5) and he seems to play better as his confidence increases. that win will spark him. 

hes the clear #1 on a vg football team. 

hard to not like the guy given this. 

I agree here.  I feel like this guy is one of the most under-valued guys in fantasy football this year.  I was able to trade Josh Gordon and Kenny Britt for him and feel pretty good about it.

Look at his stats over the past 16 games....Something like 1,000+ yards and 9-10 TD's I believe.  I think it's pretty clear he's developed a lot of trust with Mariota.

I suppose C Davis getting healthy could dampen things a little bit but I think that effects Decker more than Matthews.

Pretty nice schedule coming for a few weeks after the Texans too....Revenge game with the Dolphins, then the Colts and Browns.

Hey...In my standard, non PPR league he's outscored Julio Jones so far....