Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Cooper Kupp 2017 Season Outlook


ponza88
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Jetdog16 said:

Kupp>>>Watkins 

 

In Fantasy, yes.

Reality, no.

 

I've seen too many games of the Rams this year, and the thing that sticks out to me is that nearly all of Kupp's receptions are by design.  Meaning he is the #1 option on a safe short/intermediate route.  The designed plays they run for Watkins are double moves that take 5 seconds to develop, the rest of his routes clear out the field for the other WR.  I guess it's actually pretty smart by McVay because he can essentially eliminate the best CB from the field and use Watkins as a decoy, and dumb down the offense for Goff.  But Goff to me is a phony.  He is McVay's robot that is executing the first or 2nd read of McVay's playcall.  Zero ability to change anything at the line.  Little ability to read the defense and identify the open man prior to the snap.  It's nothing short of amazing what McVay has pulled off with this offense.

 

The leak of information that they run to the line early so the coaching staff can identify where Goff should throw the ball into his mic before it's disconnected with 20 seconds left on the play clock told me everything I need to know about both Goff and McVay.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

 

In Fantasy, yes.

Reality, no.

 

I've seen too many games of the Rams this year, and the thing that sticks out to me is that nearly all of Kupp's receptions are by design.  Meaning he is the #1 option on a safe short/intermediate route.  The designed plays they run for Watkins are double moves that take 5 seconds to develop, the rest of his routes clear out the field for the other WR.  I guess it's actually pretty smart by McVay because he can essentially eliminate the best CB from the field and use Watkins as a decoy, and dumb down the offense for Goff.  But Goff to me is a phony.  He is McVay's robot that is executing the first or 2nd read of McVay's playcall.  Zero ability to change anything at the line.  Little ability to read the defense and identify the open man prior to the snap.  It's nothing short of amazing what McVay has pulled off with this offense.

 

The leak of information that they run to the line early so the coaching staff can identify where Goff should throw the ball into his mic before it's disconnected with 20 seconds left on the play clock told me everything I need to know about both Goff and McVay.  

 

I think these are fair criticisms, but both these guys are so young.  As a Bears fan watching John Fox mangle Mitchell Trubisky, I think it's fair to consider this year as Goff's true rookie year.

 

Likewise, with Kupp as a rookie, I don't think it's necessarily a negative if his involvement in the offense is by design.  He's on pace for 104 targets as a rookie - that number is too high for me to consider it all as being kind of forced in his general direction.  Even if it is more forced than not, we see time and again that some rookies can't even handle that - Kupp's involvement in the game plan from day one remains a positive for me.

 

Football outsiders ranks him in the top 17 for all receivers by their Defense Yards Above Replacement stats.

 

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

 

In Fantasy, yes.

Reality, no.

 

I've seen too many games of the Rams this year, and the thing that sticks out to me is that nearly all of Kupp's receptions are by design.  Meaning he is the #1 option on a safe short/intermediate route.  The designed plays they run for Watkins are double moves that take 5 seconds to develop, the rest of his routes clear out the field for the other WR.  I guess it's actually pretty smart by McVay because he can essentially eliminate the best CB from the field and use Watkins as a decoy, and dumb down the offense for Goff.  But Goff to me is a phony.  He is McVay's robot that is executing the first or 2nd read of McVay's playcall.  Zero ability to change anything at the line.  Little ability to read the defense and identify the open man prior to the snap.  It's nothing short of amazing what McVay has pulled off with this offense.

 

The leak of information that they run to the line early so the coaching staff can identify where Goff should throw the ball into his mic before it's disconnected with 20 seconds left on the play clock told me everything I need to know about both Goff and McVay.  

I'm pretty sure he's better in real life as well. As a rookie, the Rams use him much more and seem to trust him more than Watkins. Woooooh, Watkins can run fast and jump -- yay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

I'm pretty sure he's better in real life as well. As a rookie, the Rams use him much more and seem to trust him more than Watkins. Woooooh, Watkins can run fast and jump -- yay.

 

Could be because Kupp had OTAs, Training Camp, and a full preseason.  Watkins had none of that, so he's just a decoy to move a defense to make it easier for the original WR corps to operate.  Imagine going through all the above (OTA/Training/Preseason) with your WR, then saying on week 1, we can add a guy who will occupy the best CB and a safety and still run all of our offense.  That's pretty much what they are doing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Might be forced to roll him out as my FLEX in the championship but I don't feel that good about it.  Titans have been vulnerable over the middle of the field this year but with Woods back I feel like he's touchdown or bust.  Anyone else have thoughts for this week or thinking about playing him?

Edited by jgolec
typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just don't know what to do with Kupp this week. Damn you Woods for coming back!

 

The Titans have allowed the NFL’s 12th-most fantasy points to wide receivers. After last week’s quiet game in Seattle, Kupp has a matchup to bounce back against Tennessee, where slot CB Logan Ryan is nursing an ankle injury. Kupp runs 60% of his routes in the slot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/11/2017 at 5:59 AM, The_Truth_Returns said:

 

In Fantasy, yes.

Reality, no.

 

I've seen too many games of the Rams this year, and the thing that sticks out to me is that nearly all of Kupp's receptions are by design.  Meaning he is the #1 option on a safe short/intermediate route.  The designed plays they run for Watkins are double moves that take 5 seconds to develop, the rest of his routes clear out the field for the other WR.  I guess it's actually pretty smart by McVay because he can essentially eliminate the best CB from the field and use Watkins as a decoy, and dumb down the offense for Goff.  But Goff to me is a phony.  He is McVay's robot that is executing the first or 2nd read of McVay's playcall.  Zero ability to change anything at the line.  Little ability to read the defense and identify the open man prior to the snap.  It's nothing short of amazing what McVay has pulled off with this offense.

 

The leak of information that they run to the line early so the coaching staff can identify where Goff should throw the ball into his mic before it's disconnected with 20 seconds left on the play clock told me everything I need to know about both Goff and McVay.  

4

 

Someone needs a snickers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jtbgator said:

I just don't know what to do with Kupp this week. Damn you Woods for coming back!

 

The Titans have allowed the NFL’s 12th-most fantasy points to wide receivers. After last week’s quiet game in Seattle, Kupp has a matchup to bounce back against Tennessee, where slot CB Logan Ryan is nursing an ankle injury. Kupp runs 60% of his routes in the slot. 

That is good news for Kupp....Woods has great WR/CB matchup as well and just takes too much away for me to start Kupp. I'm going wit Juju, Martavis, Gordon for upside 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2017 at 4:06 PM, boltup15 said:

 

This is the worst comparison of a WR I've ever seen in my entire life. I just want to make that clear before my rant. 

 

Kupp is not good. He's slow. He's 'quick' and that's it. He's not that good of a route runner as people say he is. Sure he put up video game numbers BUT LOOK AT THOSE CORNERS WHO WERE PLAYING AGAINST HIM. They were awful, half the time there wasn't even anyone on him. I'm not shocked the Rams took him in the 3rd because their management is incompetent right now. Kupp is 2014 Bishop Sankey. 

 

Kupp is a bust. He's not going to ever become a WR2 unless he joins Aaron Rodgers AND Jordy, Davante Adams, Ty Montgomery, Jeff Janis, and Abrederis or however you spell his name all get injured for an entire season. 

 

I don't get how anyone thinks that this guy is good. His combine numbers show up on his tape. 

 

His Hands, Routes, Speed, and Toughness all mirror that of Dez and Jordy. This year proved that in games against good defenses. Within a few seasons he's gonna be GOOOOD.

 

Sorry Bolt ? ... The "Kupp is 2014 Bishop Sankey" was a hilarious comparison though.

Edited by ponza88
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, ponza88 said:

 

His Hands, Routes, Speed, and Toughness all mirror that of Dez and Jordy. This year proved that in games against good defenses. Within a few seasons he's gonna be GOOOOD.

 

Sorry Bolt ? ... The "Kupp is 2014 Bishop Sankey" was a hilarious comparison though.

 

He was good but he's literally nothing like Dez and Jordy. He's more like Doug Baldwin if we're comparing him to anyone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

 

He was good but he's literally nothing like Dez and Jordy. He's more like Doug Baldwin if we're comparing him to anyone. 


No... he's Bishop Sankey ... right? 

LOL. Forgive me if I continue to disagree with your assessment of Kupp. "He's literally nothing like Dez and Jordy", such a vague statement that is a little shocking when you see the type of catches Kupp has made this season. His Safety Blanket nature for Goff. His sure hands that are key for 3rd down conversions... his toughness to high point in traffic...

All points that some of us posters pointed out before the season started that you and some others scoffed at. Now he's proving it on film. Sorry you missed the boat on this Bolt :)

Hope Williams does better for your bolts next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice thing about Kupp is there are other playmakers all around him, so he does not have to do it all himself.

 

Kupp athleticall is no prime Dez.  I don't think he can sniff prime Jordy's deep speed.  

 

But Kupp is far better than both of those guys currently.  Dez looked washed yesterday against Seattle's 5th string corner...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not to start a 2018 thread already...but I'm curious what people are thinking about Kupp at this point.  Certainly, his numbers fall into that category of rookie numbers of players who go on to have successful careers.  I'm not sure if I see him as kind of in that permanent WR2/WR3 group or if he can take the leap to the solid WR2 category with some WR1 weeks mixed in.  Just curious what others might be thinking in this regard.

 

I don't doubt the talent, but it seems that with Woods and Gurley there for the near term, there's going to be competition for targets.  If Watkins leaves, perhaps that's a benefit if Woods gets the #1 cornerback?  But I imagine the Rams would try to keep Watkins there given the role he has had with taking the top off the defense.

Edited by rschroeder1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well we will have next week and the whole playoffs to see how the Rams use Kupp.  At this point, it seems likely that Kupp will be a franchise cornerstone for years to come, filling a similar role.  Critical to the team's success in real life, maybe just okay in fantasy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...