NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mike Williams 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are in a re-draft league with a fairly small bench, this guy should be nowhere near your roster, you are much better stashing a Dede Westbrook who will likely take on a role when he comes back.   Rookie WR need a lot to happen for them to become a week in week out fantasy starter, and from the moment Williams was drafted (and I had him pre-draft as a college guy in my league) I was pretty skeptical.  The Chargers already had a No.1 in Allen who was coming back, they had their default No.1 Williams coming back from last year, they have an aging TE probable HOF who they are still getting some red-zone targets to and they have emerging 2nd round TE from last year.  Lots of mouths to feed there and now you insert a top 10 pick WR?  At best he was gonna be very boom/bust, its very rare that things fall into place for rookie WR.  

Now...could things turn around?  Sure...I think if the Chargers season goes south that come the last 1/4 of the season, you might see this guy be more featured into the game plan, but right now if you are expecting consistent results to plug into a lineup, your kidding yourself. 

On Thursday, the Los Angeles Chargers decided to trade wide receiver Dontrelle Inman to the Chicago Bears for a conditional seventh round draft pick.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Dontrelle-Inman-Clears-The-Way-for-Chargers-Mike-Williams-453184743.html

Inman was a trusted and valuable depth piece for the Chargers. They wouldn't just let him go unless they felt comfortable doing so. I am still skeptical of Williams' 2017 fantasy value, but this move does nothing but help. Should open up a few more snaps for Williams. And if he impresses, who knows, maybe he can take Tyrell or Benjamin's job. I'm still holding onto him as a stash.

Tyrell is barely worth rostering in most leagues.  And this Mike Williams needs everything to go just right to take Tyrell's role?  See the problem with that?

Not seeing the problem, no. Tyrell and Benjamin have been bad and are not worth rostering. Best case scenario is Mike Williams absorbs most of both of their targets making him a WR3. Probably won't happen but that's the point of a bench stash.

2 hours ago, Jetdog16 said:

On Thursday, the Los Angeles Chargers decided to trade wide receiver Dontrelle Inman to the Chicago Bears for a conditional seventh round draft pick.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Dontrelle-Inman-Clears-The-Way-for-Chargers-Mike-Williams-453184743.html

Inman was a trusted and valuable depth piece for the Chargers. They wouldn't just let him go unless they felt comfortable doing so. I am still skeptical of Williams' 2017 fantasy value, but this move does nothing but help. Should open up a few more snaps for Williams. And if he impresses, who knows, maybe he can take Tyrell or Benjamin's job. I'm still holding onto him as a stash.

I dont see how that "helps" or "clears the way for Mike Williams". Inman had 2 catches on 4 TARGETS FOR THE WHOLE SEASON!!! He hasnt played since week 5 and was INACTIVE the last 2.

Better stashes this year are Corey Davis, Josh Doctson, Dede Westbrook and even Corey Coleman.

Maybe next year.

Edited by Gryfter
53 minutes ago, Jetdog16 said:

Not seeing the problem, no. Tyrell and Benjamin have been bad and are not worth rostering. Best case scenario is Mike Williams absorbs most of both of their targets making him a WR3. Probably won't happen but that's the point of a bench stash.

Tyrell really hasn't been bad. At least not in real life. He has been very productive with a 70% catch rate (=#16 in the NFL). He is also #13 in the NFL in yards per target (9.9). He has played very well and been very efficient with his limited targets. Not like the Chargers have involved him. They have got with the Gordon + Keenan + TE offensive scheme. Mike Williams wouldn't be fighting an inefficient Tyrell Williams. Tyrell has been very efficient so far.

4 hours ago, burninglegs said:

Tyrell really hasn't been bad. At least not in real life. He has been very productive with a 70% catch rate (=#16 in the NFL). He is also #13 in the NFL in yards per target (9.9). He has played very well and been very efficient with his limited targets. Not like the Chargers have involved him. They have got with the Gordon + Keenan + TE offensive scheme. Mike Williams wouldn't be fighting an inefficient Tyrell Williams. Tyrell has been very efficient so far.

Agreed that Tyrell Williams has played well IRL, although not given enough targets to matter in fantasy.  Tyrell's play is relevant to this thread because Mike Williams is more likely to cut into Tyrell's snaps as opposed to Keenan Allen or Travis Benjamin.  In redraft, rostering Mike Williams doesn't seem to make much sense in all but the deepest of leagues.  If Keenan Allen goes down, I would expect Benjamin and both Williams to share the pie three ways.

8 hours ago, Gryfter said:

I dont see how that "helps" or "clears the way for Mike Williams". Inman had 2 catches on 4 TARGETS FOR THE WHOLE SEASON!!! He hasnt played since week 5 and was INACTIVE the last 2.

Better stashes this year are Corey Davis, Josh Doctson, Dede Westbrook and even Corey Coleman.

Maybe next year.

That was the article's wording, not mine. I did say it helps, because it does. Just another guy Mike doesn't have to worry about. Btw, Josh Doctson isn't a stash. He's already a borderline starter and should be going forward. 

1 hour ago, Jetdog16 said:

That was the article's wording, not mine. I did say it helps, because it does. Just another guy Mike doesn't have to worry about. Btw, Josh Doctson isn't a stash. He's already a borderline starter and should be going forward. 

Inman was never a guy Mike had to worry about...KA, Gordon, Tyrell and Hunter, they were the ones.

I mentioned Doctson as a stash because currently in my CBS league, he's 48% owned, ESPN 20.9% and Yahoo 37%.

23 minutes ago, Gryfter said:

Inman was never a guy Mike had to worry about...KA, Gordon, Tyrell and Hunter, they were the ones.

I mentioned Doctson as a stash because currently in my CBS league, he's 48% owned, ESPN 20.9% and Yahoo 37%.

Not sure why you're picking my statements as a bone of contention. I am merely reading the tea leaves and holding onto Williams as a stash. I'm very confident that he is a good stash -- no idea how he will actually produce. As far as Docston...he is definitely not a stash. He's certainly not available in competitive leagues. 

3 hours ago, Ragnaroker said:

This week is the week. If he doesn't do anything against NE probably can move on. Hes super talented but your rookie year is hard enough without dealing with injury.

I agree, if nothing improves I'm moving on to Dede Westbrook 

Just dropped Tyrell for Mike. The latter is Anthony Lynn's hand-picked guy and since Mike has been back the past two weeks, Tyrell is running far fewer routes per snap. Also Mike's snaps increased from 17% to 24% the last two weeks. He'll be the #2 guy after the bye. Not startable this week, but its a prudent move for those with Tyrell to swap them out now IMO.

On 10/26/2017 at 11:56 AM, jeremyt7 said:

so do we drop mike williams if josh doctson is there? mike williams is looking like a huge longshot to do anything ff worth this year.

Dropped for docson last week

@eric_d_williams: Chargers coach Anthony Lynn said he expects rookie Mike Williams to play more snaps in his third game this season, and that the former Clemson star has no limitations physically since returning to the field after rehabilitating from a lower back disc herniation.

In for a penny, in for a pound....

Edited by 77georgec