NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mike Williams 2017 Season Outlook

1 minute ago, urban2014 said:

Odell went 19th in the draft or something like that?  Sure he had competition Cruz was still alive there, and Donnell or whoever the TE was. I am sure he didn’t explode right away...Oh wait he did and without any off season conditioning as well 

Odell was pick 12

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Odell had a lot less competition for targets ... not to mention being the human equivalent of Spider-Man 

I’d temper expectations juuuust a tad 

It's the beauty of the unknown, you can dream as big as you want.  Am I expecting him to pull an Odell?  No not really but I definitely will enjoy him being on my bench and watching what unfolds... well hopefully I enjoy it anyways.

45 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Odell went 19th in the draft or something like that?  Sure he had competition Cruz was still alive there, and Donnell or whoever the TE was. I am sure he didn’t explode right away...Oh wait he did and without any off season conditioning as well 

2 guys no longer in the NFL - great point!

Life advice: if you’re going to be a smartass ... be smart first. 

Odell didn’t go 19th, and Allen/Gates/Henry/Gordon/TW are a lot more competition for targets ... but again, thanks for stopping by.

24 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Your point of view dude. Its a free pick up if he does nothing you move on

I agree with this assessment. He could be a lottery pick and if he's on your bench or IR spot, why not take the chance? He was a beast in the National Championship game against Bama so he obviously has some talent. I see no problem rostering him to see if he becomes the next OBJ. I mean, some people are still rostering Josh Gordon!

Good luck to all Williams owners. Hopefully he helps to bring home the trophy to all of us!

Chargers first-round WR Mike Williams (back) expects to make his NFL debut Week 6 against the Raiders.

Advice: "I’m expecting to play," Williams said. "I’m gonna practice hard, go through all the plays. Whatever decision the coaches make, I’m going to be ready for it." Coach Anthony Lynn said the rookie was "very close" earlier this week, and ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Williams will play against the Raiders. He is not usable right now in fantasy lineups, but he is worth a stash in deep leagues.

2 minutes ago, TX Babe Ruth said:

Chargers first-round WR Mike Williams (back) expects to make his NFL debut Week 6 against the Raiders.

Advice: "I’m expecting to play," Williams said. "I’m gonna practice hard, go through all the plays. Whatever decision the coaches make, I’m going to be ready for it." Coach Anthony Lynn said the rookie was "very close" earlier this week, and ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Williams will play against the Raiders. He is not usable right now in fantasy lineups, but he is worth a stash in deep leagues.

Whenever experts deem someone who has not played yet not usable in fantasy lineups they bust out the gate, 1 TD at least this weekend

On October 11, 2017 at 9:05 AM, urban2014 said:

Your point of view dude. Its a free pick up if he does nothing you move on

Pretty much, its still a long season and you could do worse lol

Chargers are horrible and are staring down a lost season. If he's healthy, to not heavily involve him would be a huge mistake. You paid a huge price tag for him so let's see what hes got. Situations aren't comparable to OBJ, though. If Williams could develop into a solid WR3 I'd be happy

9 hours ago, The Gridiron Assassin said:

Do not deploy. He's gonna get like 10 snaps, I read it on a beat writer feed. 

This is going to take some time to warm up. 

Still holding strong tho 

Sauce?

Eric Williams seems to be the most well connected out of all the writers that cover the Chargers and  there’s no mention of a snap limit from him. I’m sure he’ll be limited but 10 seems really low. He did say Williams will be an immediate red zone threat though. I think he’s right. Deploying with confidence.

https://mobile.twitter.com/eric_d_williams?lang=en

IMO, the fantasy community is sleeping on Williams as a second half breakout candidate. With his size and incredible ball skills, he's going to be a tremendous weapon in the red zone. Moreover, Mike > Tyrell and betting on KA to remain healthy for a full season seems foolhardy. Thus there's some sleepy high target upside here.

55 minutes ago, augustine said:

and betting on KA to remain healthy for a full season seems foolhardy.

But a guy who hasn't been able to play for the last 6 months with a back injury is a good bet to stay healthy?  I'd say he's less likely to stay healthy than Allen.  MW has upside, but he's still a long shot this season.

14 minutes ago, Red Dog said:

But a guy who hasn't been able to play for the last 6 months with a back injury is a good bet to stay healthy?  I'd say he's less likely to stay healthy than Allen.  MW has upside, but he's still a long shot this season.

Williams carries a lot of risk, no doubt. But for bench stashes, we don't care about expected value as much as we do about the right tail of the distribution.

Distribution is another issue for MW since River's has no rapport with him.  I can see him in RZ  packages, but in general I prefer all the other receiver's in San Diego over him this season.