NBC Sports Edge Forums

10 hours ago, lolcopter said:

i legitimately didn't think he had it in him. he is passing downfield like a madman this season. he looks sharp, and has always been cautious enough with the football. maybe it's the contract year, or the young rookie they just drafted behind him, but he is playing like a man on fire right now. will be very interesting to see how ROS and next year plays out between him and KC

That deep ball TD pass to Hill was a thing of beauty. It was SO perfectly thrown to him. 

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering how well Smith has been playing, the Chiefs D, Patriots having to throw less with their D getting better, the Saints favoring a more run heavy approach with their defense improving as well, and Rodgers on the shelf, how many QBs would you really take over Alex at this point? Of course potentially Brady and Brees, but I have my reservations for the aforementioned reasons. Dak, Russell Wilson also probably deserve discussion, and then there's Deshaun Watson, but is there anyone else you'd even consider having over Smith? I've been looking around my league to do some trades this morning and the more and more I look at the QB landscape the more I realize how valuable this guy is. 

42 minutes ago, furbz420 said:

Considering how well Smith has been playing, the Chiefs D, Patriots having to throw less with their D getting better, the Saints favoring a more run heavy approach with their defense improving as well, and Rodgers on the shelf, how many QBs would you really take over Alex at this point? Of course potentially Brady and Brees, but I have my reservations for the aforementioned reasons. Dak, Russell Wilson also probably deserve discussion, and then there's Deshaun Watson, but is there anyone else you'd even consider having over Smith? I've been looking around my league to do some trades this morning and the more and more I look at the QB landscape the more I realize how valuable this guy is. 

Watson. Dak. Brady. Wilson. That's it. Wentz is debatable, but Smith is legit Top-5 ROS and he was picked up for free.

7 minutes ago, hype said:

So what do we think about a stout Denver defense at home next week?

Started him all year, but plan to bench him.  Tough game, Denver is desperate, I just don't see it being a big game as far as fantasy.

6 minutes ago, Sternes said:

Started him all year, but plan to bench him.  Tough game, Denver is desperate, I just don't see it being a big game as far as fantasy.

I'd feel worse if it was @DEN. The Chiefs are probably a tougher matchup this year for the Broncos. Explosive weapons, Kelce, and Hunt catching passes out of the backfield. Won't be dominant, but I can still see 16-18 points floor.

12 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

I'd feel worse if it was @DEN. The Chiefs are probably a tougher matchup this year for the Broncos. Explosive weapons, Kelce, and Hunt catching passes out of the backfield. Won't be dominant, but I can still see 16-18 points floor.

How?  Denver has only allowed two 200 yard passers all season.  They haven't allowed 300 total yards in a game.  The only 100 yards rushing they've given up was the strange Giants game.

Smith hasn't been running much, I don't see how that is his floor for this game. 

1 hour ago, Sternes said:

How?  Denver has only allowed two 200 yard passers all season.  They haven't allowed 300 total yards in a game.  The only 100 yards rushing they've given up was the strange Giants game.

Smith hasn't been running much, I don't see how that is his floor for this game. 

His floor is practically his ceiling. Just taking into account it’s at Kansas City, their line will be fully healthy, Denver can’t capitalize on offense, and they have weapons to exploit their linebackers and safeties.

another underrated tidbit- no coach is better with more time to prepare than Andy Reid. I don’t know, I have a hard time finding someone on the streaming side that’ll do much better. And rostering two QBs doesn’t seem useful right now.

Depends on your league really.

On 10/23/2017 at 1:26 PM, PlayTheWaivers said:

His floor is practically his ceiling. Just taking into account it’s at Kansas City, their line will be fully healthy, Denver can’t capitalize on offense, and they have weapons to exploit their linebackers and safeties.

another underrated tidbit- no coach is better with more time to prepare than Andy Reid. I don’t know, I have a hard time finding someone on the streaming side that’ll do much better. And rostering two QBs doesn’t seem useful right now.

Depends on your league really.

Excellent insight.  Yes, the OL May be healthy and back Monday which is very good news for both Hunt and Smith owners (me).

now, how will Alex the Great do against the highly touted Broncos defense at Home?  I don’t think Hunt will do as well as Alex even though the Giants were surprisingly able to run against the Broncos. I think Alex can throw at least two tds because even Tyrod Taylor threw two tds and Rivers threw five tds  against Denver in two games. And Dak threw two tds against Broncos too.  So, I do think 2-3 tds is reasonable.

but how many yards?  Oakland had 250 which is the most, yet Taylor had 213 and he has no good WRs to throw to,  Rivers in his two games were under 200 despite all the td passes and dak threw for 238. So, it seems logical to me to assume Alex can throw for 200-250.

so if he throws for 225, with two tds, and let’s say one INT, he would score 16 points, and this assumes no rushing yards. I’m sure he will have some rushing yards, but not as much as a Wentz or Watson. 

1 hour ago, TennisMenace said:

Excellent insight.  Yes, the OL May be healthy and back Monday which is very good news for both Hunt and Smith owners (me).

now, how will Alex the Great do against the highly touted Broncos defense at Home?  I don’t think Hunt will do as well as Alex even though the Giants were surprisingly able to run against the Broncos. I think Alex can throw at least two tds because even Tyrod Taylor threw two tds and Rivers threw five tds  against Denver in two games. And Dak threw two tds against Broncos too.  So, I do think 2-3 tds is reasonable.

but how many yards?  Oakland had 250 which is the most, yet Taylor had 213 and he has no good WRs to throw to,  Rivers in his two games were under 200 despite all the td passes and dak threw for 238. So, it seems logical to me to assume Alex can throw for 200-250.

so if he throws for 225, with two tds, and let’s say one INT, he would score 16 points, and this assumes no rushing yards. I’m sure he will have some rushing yards, but not as much as a Wentz or Watson. 

That's good enough for me. I'd rather this than burn a roster spot for another QB and have to drop some assets that I'm stashing for the long haul.

I agree, not worth it to pick up Tyrod or Dalton....both can lay an egg even though favorable match ups.

I’ve been going back between he and Watson. Watson has more sex appeal,with his legs. I don’t believe Alex is running much these days. I agree yards will be hard to come by so I am not expecting 300 but if Denver does shut down the run, KC may pass more which can get Hunt more passing yards and thus Smith more passing yards.

he should have two tds, so like i said, 16 is floor, 22 about ceiling. 

Edited by TennisMenace

The last time they gave up 22 points to a QB was last year to Smith, where he ran for 46 yards and a TD to go with his 244 pass yards, 1 TD, and 1 pick.   The only other time I saw them give up 20 or more was points was to Brees last season, who went for 303, 3 TDs, and 2 INT, and Cam, who ran for 54 yards and a TD, while throwing for 194, 1 TD, and 1 INT.

I'd be happy to get 13 out of this matchup.

1 hour ago, Sternes said:

The last time they gave up 22 points to a QB was last year to Smith, where he ran for 46 yards and a TD to go with his 244 pass yards, 1 TD, and 1 pick.   The only other time I saw them give up 20 or more was points was to Brees last season, who went for 303, 3 TDs, and 2 INT, and Cam, who ran for 54 yards and a TD, while throwing for 194, 1 TD, and 1 INT.

I'd be happy to get 13 out of this matchup.

So it could be done....by a qb who runs a little and preferably scores a rushing td. Like I said, I don’t see Alex doing that now.

20 minutes ago, No1Statistican said:

What tier of quarterbacks would Alex Smith rank going forward? He has the 12th easiest schedule (including week 17) and has the help of breakout seasons by Hunt and Hill (also consistent Kelce).

Still in the top tier IMO. At the end of the game he had a long touchdown clang off his TE's hands (not Kelce) that would have given him just about at 20 points against the vaunted Denver defense. Even without it, his floor remains right around 14, very happy to trot him out ROS.

59 minutes ago, No1Statistican said:

What tier of quarterbacks would Alex Smith rank going forward? He has the 12th easiest schedule (including week 17) and has the help of breakout seasons by Hunt and Hill (also consistent Kelce).

Easily Top-5.

IMO:

1) Watson

2) Wilson

3) Wentz

4) Smith / Brady

5) Dak / Brady

• tonycpsu changed the title to Alex Smith 2017 Outlook
  • phatrat locked this topic
  • phatrat unlocked this topic