NBC Sports Edge Forums

Davante Adams 2017 Season Outlook

1 hour ago, KennyWoo said:

Glad to hear that Adams may be okay.  That was brutal.  Nothing but best wishes for him.

However, how far did Adams's helmet drop after Trevathan went in to make the play?  It looked like if Adams's head hadn't dropped while being tackled, Trevathan would have hit the guy at center mass.  Maybe Trevathan was hoping to kill the guy, but it could have also been a bit of bad luck as well.  It's easy to see in super slow motion replay the result and judge, but players don't live in slow motion and have to make split second decisions. 

This is particularly true in situations where receivers are going over the middle and safeties are diving across the field trying to break up a pass.  They are just trying to get there as quickly as possible and the laws of physics pretty much demand they "lead with their helmet."  That's a different situation than this one of course.

He was held up. He knew exactly where he was going to end up.  He was there to put a hard hit on him.

The problem with that, since his teammate was there, pretty much the only way he could put a hard hit on him without knocking out his teamate was devante's head.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, RustyMiller said:

He was held up. He knew exactly where he was going to end up.  He was there to put a hard hit on him.

The problem with that, since his teammate was there, pretty much the only way he could put a hard hit on him without knocking out his teamate was devante's head.

no question about it, that shot on Adams is targeting and its with the top of Danny's helmet.  Its an unwarranted hit no question about it.  Even if say Trevathan didn't 100% intentionally lower hit head to target/injure Adams, this type of play/hit needs to be addressed heavily by the league.  

Taking this thought  and expanding a bit from @Lord_Varys  if the NFL is remotely trying to be serious about CTE and these type of targeting hits, they will ramp up fines, missed games, you name it to stop this crap.  With each repeated offense you start doubling all categories. Double the fines, games missed/missed paychecks.  If you want to get this nasty line of thinking out of the game you need to hit them hard in their bank account.  

I would also like to see the officials on the field and in NY review these hits on site right after it happens.  While Adams is being tended to, they should review that hit, keep the penalty on the field in place, then eject his butt immediately.  If they would have looked at that hit last night, no way Danny finishes that game.  All players would still have their right to appeal but this at least would help get the idea out there that this type of hit is not necessary in today's game 

2 hours ago, KennyWoo said:

Glad to hear that Adams may be okay.  That was brutal.  Nothing but best wishes for him.

However, how far did Adams's helmet drop after Trevathan went in to make the play?  It looked like if Adams's head hadn't dropped while being tackled, Trevathan would have hit the guy at center mass.  Maybe Trevathan was hoping to kill the guy, but it could have also been a bit of bad luck as well.  It's easy to see in super slow motion replay the result and judge, but players don't live in slow motion and have to make split second decisions. 

This is particularly true in situations where receivers are going over the middle and safeties are diving across the field trying to break up a pass.  They are just trying to get there as quickly as possible and the laws of physics pretty much demand they "lead with their helmet."  That's a different situation than this one of course.

I agree that Adams head lowered right before impact but the guy still led hard with his helmet on a guy that wasn't moving anywhere.  It was a cheap shot no matter how you look at it. 

7 minutes ago, Kyle87 said:

I agree that Adams head lowered right before impact but the guy still led hard with his helmet on a guy that wasn't moving anywhere.  It was a cheap shot no matter how you look at it. 

I am not sure you can say it was a cheap shot, so many of these hits are momentum plays. And Adams was not going down, he was still trying to fight for yards. Yes, it was a brutal and scary hit but I would give Trevathan the benefit of the doubt and say it was not intended to be a cheap shot. He has no history of that that I am aware.

Edited by dafreaks
2 hours ago, KennyWoo said:

I agree he wasn’t aiming for Adams’ head. It was a penalty because he led with the crown of his own helmet. I think it was right not to eject him because the whistle hadn’t blown and he wasn’t aiming for the head. 

If if he comes in with the shoulder and hits Adams in exactly the same spot it’s not even a foul. Although it would have given a similar result. 

The -result- of Adams being knocked out has nothing to do with whether it was a foul, especially since he had already made the catch and had become a “runner”, not a “defenseless receiver”.

The reason it was a foul was the crown of the helmet. Regardless of the result.

4 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

I agree he wasn’t aiming for Adams’ head. It was a penalty because he led with the crown of his own helmet. I think it was right not to eject him because the whistle hadn’t blown and he wasn’t aiming for the head. 

If if he comes in with the shoulder and hits Adams in exactly the same spot it’s not even a foul. Although it would have given a similar result. 

The -result- of Adams being knocked out has nothing to do with whether it was a foul, especially since he had already made the catch and had become a “runner”, not a “defenseless receiver”.

The reason it was a foul was the crown of the helmet. Regardless of the result.

I'd call being wrapped up by a defender as a defenseless receiver.

If there are no rules against it, I see the NFL looking into it in the off season.

No head contact with an engaged player, regardless if he is an established runner.

1 hour ago, RustyMiller said:

I'd call being wrapped up by a defender as a defenseless receiver.

If there are no rules against it, I see the NFL looking into it in the off season.

No head contact with an engaged player, regardless if he is an established runner.

If he is defenseless and wrapped up then they could have just as easily blown a whistle and called forward progress. Adams was fighting for extra yards which in my mind doesnt make him defenseless. Its all become to grey of an area, sucks for both guys.

3 hours ago, dafreaks said:

I am not sure you can say it was a cheap shot, so many of these hits are momentum plays. And Adams was not going down, he was still trying to fight for yards. Yes, it was a brutal and scary hit but I would give Trevathan the benefit of the doubt and say it was not intended to be a cheap shot. He has no history of that that I am aware.

I mean he clearly led with his helmet.  That is just straight against the rules for very obvious reasons.  It doesn't even really matter what part of the body he was aiming for with a spear hit like that. 

4 hours ago, JediMasters said:

This is great news.  I was fearing a broken jaw or something.  That was the next hurdle.  The fact that he's home without any sort of surgery is great.  Now it's the concussion.  Get well soon.

I agree. 

He's got nine days to clear the concussion protocol. Really hoping he can. 

2 hours ago, Broncos132 said:

Adam schefter has a source saying he might be good to go. I gotta go against him this week. This is ridiculous, how....

Packers beat writers are saying the same, they'll be surprised if he doesnt go.  Means he's cleared the concussion protocol.

While the hit was visually disturbing, there were no other injuries other than the concussion.  With 9 days between games its not shocking to see him ready to play.

8 minutes ago, kdubb44 said:

Latest rotoworld update says he’s still in protocool. Who are some guys on the ww you could pick up and play if he can’t go? Got Adam Humphries but he plays on Thursday.

Geronimo Allison if he's still available.

21 hours ago, JaNelson38 said:

Packers beat writers are saying the same, they'll be surprised if he doesnt go.  Means he's cleared the concussion protocol.

While the hit was visually disturbing, there were no other injuries other than the concussion.  With 9 days between games its not shocking to see him ready to play.

Yeah the injury just boils down to a concussion (which i don't think Adams has a history of) .  It looked worse and the stretcher makes it seem when worse than that but it's just a precaution to take when the damage is unknown. 

46 minutes ago, JediMasters said:

Absolutely amazing to see this.  Helmet on in the practice field.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ByRyanWood/status/915648572388990978/photo/1

Awesome to see.

If he's practicing, that means he's in the final stage of the concussion protocol, which is to get through a non-contact practice with no concussion symptoms.

He's good to go for Sunday.  And I think he'll have a monster game.  Fire him up with confidence.