NBC Sports Edge Forums

Davante Adams 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, newyorkspankees said:

Are people definitely starting him if he ends up active? Anyone sitting him regardless since he msot likely won't be 100%?

Yes. If he's cleared the protocol he is fully healthy, not like its a lower body injury or anything. 

28 minutes ago, newyorkspankees said:

Are people definitely starting him if he ends up active? Anyone sitting him regardless since he msot likely won't be 100%?

If active I’m starting him for sure.   That means no lingering effects and he’s good to go. 

38 minutes ago, newyorkspankees said:

For me, the same rules apply as before the concussion.  If Bulaga and Bahktiari play I'm starting Adams.  If one or both sits, I'm not.

2 hours ago, newyorkspankees said:

looks like other posters are. I'm too afraid of a 0-3 point dud, with Davante seeing limited action to "Get back in the groove", if that makes sense. 

for reference, right now I have to choose between Adams, R.Mathews, or Martavis. Currently Adams is #3 amongst them, even with a pretty juicy Dallas matchup.

Maybe he'll play well, but I'm too risk averse. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

Pretty cut and dry from a start/sit perspective.  He either gets cleared or he doesn't.  No reason not to start if he's cleared.  There's no concern of re-aggravation...concussions do not work like that.  It would be an entirely new instance if he happens to get walloped again.

17 minutes ago, Kyle87 said:

People are acting weird in here.  If you clear the concussion protocol you are 100 percent good to go.  If you still have lingering issues the nfl will not allow you into the game. 

Yup. It's not a hamstring, it doesn't make sense that they would reduce his workload if he's cleared.

if he clears the protocol and makes it to Dallas I'm firing him up no question about it, at the very least as a flex across all formats. TyMont looking doubtful, this Packers team will rely on AROD to chunk it at will vs a very young and miss-assignment prone secondary in Dallas.  Someone or a few of ARODS weapons should feast Sunday for the Packers, i want a piece of it where i can find it.    If the Dallas DL doesn't step it up big time this week vs a suspect Packer OL and give the secondary some help its trouble 

9 minutes ago, trojans888 said:

So you are all telling me once he passes protocol he is as good as new?  Have a hard time believing that.

The concussion protocol is designed to keep a player off the field and away from contact in practice or a game until he is symptom-free. It's a double-edged sword. If headaches persist then a players can be out for months, but if there are no lasting effects then the issue is presumed to be resolved. It's not like a bone or ligament injury where an injury can be imaged via MRI or X-Rays. Once the obvious effects disappear (loss of consciousness, slurred speech, poor balance and motor skills) the only reliable assessment of the injury is based on the patient's self-report.

Despite its shortcomings, the protocol is still a huge improvement in player well-being and safety. In the past, if players with head trauma could stand up and identify the color of the opposite team's uniforms, they were put back into the game. While it seems there's a general acceptance of the new standards, I think they're viewed as sufficiently cautious, so once cleared the players are considered to have a clean bill of health.

There is work being done on using more objective criteria, but it's incomplete:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4107372/

Quote from the abstract:

" Based on the complexity of mTBI, however, much more work in this area is required to characterize injury mechanisms and recovery factors and to achieve clinically-relevant capabilities for diagnosis."

I wonder if a bruise to the brain is similar to say the leg.

You bang your leg hard.  Get a bruise.  Some discomfort for a day or so.  Pain goes away but bruise is visible and is still tender when you put pressure on it.

So with concussion perhaps symtoms go away but brain is still bruised and tender.  You just dont notice it because you cant evaluate it like you can with your leg.

20 hours ago, jspeed said:

For me, the same rules apply as before the concussion.  If Bulaga and Bahktiari play I'm starting Adams.  If one or both sits, I'm not.

Can U elaborate? 

Is there collaborative data that backs this theory?

1 hour ago, Impreza178 said:

Can U elaborate? 

Is there collaborative data that backs this theory?

More time for Rodgers to hit Adams for a deep ball I believe is what he’s saying 

Against Dallas isn't everyone salivating to start him this week if he can make it through the protocol? I could play mixon in my flex but rolling Adams if he plays. Idk how he doesn't catch multiple deep balls with a good shot at a td.

18 minutes ago, Sean Tambo said:

If he plays,  I see Decoy written all over his back

Line 2/25/0

Wtf no, that's not how clearing a concussion works ffs.  If he clears protocol he's 100% healthy.

15 minutes ago, Sean Tambo said:

Line 2/25/0

Not sure how you're getting this. I mean even in his worst week this year vs richard sherman most of the game he grabbed several targets in the 40-60yd range. And this is a cake matchup, trust me i know im a die hard cowboys fan. We've got some upstart DB's that im excited about, but Jordan Lewis, Brown and Chido (even if he plays) still have some learning to do, and will likely learn the hard way this sunday with Rodgers at the helm.

Our most experienced stable DB is scandrick and he profiles to be on cobb most of the day in the slot, and he'll even give up some plays from time to time. I don't know how he isn't a super solid WR3 this week that you can feel really good about with really good upside -- that said -- if he plays. But with concussions i see it as if you play, i mean you're ready to rock, full snaps and normal role. And if he's not ready you rest him. But it's either 100% normal role or see ya next week. I don't see anything different.

22 minutes ago, cbe_88 said:

Not sure how you're getting this. I mean even in his worst week this year vs richard sherman most of the game he grabbed several targets in the 40-60yd range. And this is a cake matchup, trust me i know im a die hard cowboys fan. We've got some upstart DB's that im excited about, but Jordan Lewis, Brown and Chido (even if he plays) still have some learning to do, and will likely learn the hard way this sunday with Rodgers at the helm.

Our most experienced stable DB is scandrick and he profiles to be on cobb most of the day in the slot, and he'll even give up some plays from time to time. I don't know how he isn't a super solid WR3 this week that you can feel really good about with really good upside -- that said -- if he plays. But with concussions i see it as if you play, i mean you're ready to rock, full snaps and normal role. And if he's not ready you rest him. But it's either 100% normal role or see ya next week. I don't see anything different.

Your right, I guess im just paranoid after seeing Watkins go through the same thing, great matchup, and just killed me last week 

7 minutes ago, Sean Tambo said:

Your right, I guess im just paranoid after seeing Watkins go through the same thing, great matchup, and just killed me last week 

Oh i hear you with watkins. Different QB and offense. No pedigree for Goff on who he likes to consistently target in that offense yet. I have my own particular beef with the rams.

I drafted Gurley in two of my three leagues last year, and i was pissed off all year. I knew in my heart of hearts with the new OC that he would probably break out this year, but i could not for the life of me pull the trigger on him in drafts and here he is obliterating my cowboys. I really respected Jeff Fisher until he imploded that franchise, good to see a franchise turn it around with a new staff. Now they just need some fans in LA

22 hours ago, ludawg23 said:

Pretty cut and dry from a start/sit perspective.  He either gets cleared or he doesn't.  No reason not to start if he's cleared.  There's no concern of re-aggravation...concussions do not work like that.  It would be an entirely new instance if he happens to get walloped again.

22 hours ago, Kyle87 said:

People are acting weird in here.  If you clear the concussion protocol you are 100 percent good to go.  If you still have lingering issues the nfl will not allow you into the game. 

As someone who has had 3 concussions (explains a lot, I know) I don't think it's as simple as "clear the protocol, you are 100%". There is a lingering "offness" if that makes sense. Adams was already performing inconsistently and a risk for a dud, and that was before getting his brain slammed in the most gruesome football injury in recent memory. (he was on pace for a great game though, to be fair). 

So you are telling me, if Adams clears protocol, you feel exactly the same confidence starting him, as you would have were the injury to never happen in the first place?

I think there is a definite increase in risk. The dude looked like he died on the field last week. It's hard to envision him having a great game 7 days later. 

3 hours ago, Sean Tambo said:

Line 2/25/0

Rodgers is gonna go bonkers, and there's a chance he targets Davante for a "feel good" touchdown at some point... but I'd be shocked if he put up one of those 8reception, 120+ yard, TD performances like we saw in the 2nd half last season.  <--- I know I'll get flack for that "feel good" comment, but I swear that kind of $hit happens sometimes. 

But hey, if you all think a recent concussion and clearing protocol makes a guy 100% good to go, by all means fire him up and see what happens. It's a great, great matchup for the Packers. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS