NBC Sports Edge Forums

Alfred Morris 2017 Season Outlook

We really don't have a firm grasp on Elliott's backup in Dallas.

Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram - Charean Williams

Dallas Cowboys RB Alfred Morris' inability to play special teams likely places him on the roster bubble. 'You'd love for your third back, in a perfect world, to be a contributor on special teams,' Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

The Cowboys have great insurance behind Ezekiel Elliot with Morris, but that doesn't guarantee him a spot on the 53-man roster. Morris would likely be scooped up quickly if he gets to the open market.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Finally Detroit Wins said:

No one knows but Alfred Morris looked a lot better than McFadden last night.

Weird, considering DAL didn't play last night. 

In the HOF game against 3rd stringers I'd hope Morris looked good. Starters (McFadden) didn't play. 

15 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

In the HOF game against 3rd stringers I'd hope Morris looked good. Starters (McFadden) didn't play. 

HOF game, My mistake last week, not last night. 

Starters (Zeke) sat out. McFadden looked slow and couldn't find the holes on his way to 3 carries and -6 yards. Alfred looked good and made movies in open space on his way to 7 carries and 42 yards.

Rod Smith was the most impressive but with 18 carries in the HOF game, he's fighting for a roster spot not playing time. 

Edited by Finally Detroit Wins
12 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

mcfadden did play he had 3 carries for -6 yards 

DMC is 40 years old and without the O Line he had two years ago to run behind, against a tough schedule this year, I wouldn't bet on him.

He's also only one cell phone injury away from retirement 

Edited by FreakFries
  • 2 weeks later...

So anyone think Morris is a sneaky good flier in the last rounds of the draft?

Feels like a guy who carry your RB2 for the first 6 weeks while you sort out all your high upside guys if you went zero rb.

Maybe average 80 total yards, almost a TD and a catch or 2 a game for that period?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2017 at 0:43 AM, molonLabe80 said:

Someone like the eagles or ravens need to trade for morris, he looks good and can still put up rb2 with huge rb1 potential numbers

i like the potential here on if he were on a different team, but dont think i can clog up the roster space for him, especially if zekes suspension gets reduced or overturned.

1 minute ago, metalmat said:

He did not look good last night, will probably become an RBBC

aww that sucks I couldn't watch the game cause of the hurricane but they just posted this on rotoworld I don't think zeke will get suspended

NFL has filed an appeal of Ezekiel Elliott's preliminary injunction.

This is not a major surprise, but it does again muddle Zeke's status. If the NFL wins the appeal and has the injunction thrown out, Elliott would have to begin serving his suspension. Appeals usually take several months, but the NFL could request a stay which would nullify the injunction right away, forcing Elliott to serve the suspension immediately. According to Daniel Wallach of the Sports Law Blog, it is unlikely the NFL will win a stay, but it is a concern. As of now, Elliott should be expected to play the rest of the season, but the drama is not over.

They also brought Rod Smith in a handful of times on passing downs. Those who project a RBBC if Zeke ever misses time are likely correct here. At the very least it would be the hot hand approach.

I'm not convinced that DMC being inactive precludes him from having just as much opportunity as Alf if it comes down to it, so you're probably hoping that one of the two guys you are rostering is the right one. Depending on how suspension stuff shakes out my gut is that you're better off rostering neither and letting some other owner play RB musical chairs while you roster someone else with more handcuff value i.e. Connor, Foreman, etc.

A lot of Zeke owners are sleeping on this handcuff.

He's the 2nd string RB now. Linehan said they went with Morris over McFadden because he outplayed him in the pre-season. He was getting starter reps the week they were preparing for the Giants in the event that Zeke couldn't play.

On 9/15/2017 at 4:24 PM, GriffeySwag said:

A lot of Zeke owners are sleeping on this handcuff.

He's the 2nd string RB now. Linehan said they went with Morris over McFadden because he outplayed him in the pre-season. He was getting starter reps the week they were preparing for the Giants in the event that Zeke couldn't play.

Let's just see what happens today before we jump to any conclusions.

11 hours ago, CamNewton said:

Let's just see what happens today before we jump to any conclusions.

Not a single stat.  Did he even make it on the field?  I saw bits and pieces of the game.  Given game flow, it seemed like Rod Smith was out there since Alf isn't known for his hands.  Which makes it problematic to hold him only as a handcuff.  At most, you're getting a 2 down back.  Who probably would also be spelled by DMC.