NBC Sports Edge Forums

Alfred Morris 2017 Season Outlook

1 hour ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

What is the difference between an “RB2” and “Flex” these days?

5 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

Murray and Henry 

HA!

I own Murray. He is NOT an RB2. He's a piece of crap that I can't yet flush down the waiver wire so he continues to stink up my team. The stench gets more unbearable with each passing week.

Edited by FreakFries
  • Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, FreakFries said:

HA!

I own Murray. He is NOT an RB2. He's a piece of crap that I can't yet flush down the waiver wire so he continues to stink up my team. The stench gets more unbearable with each passing week.

Don’t forget neither is Henry 

Everyone on here stating what they think is most likely to happen with the Cowboys RB's, so I'll throw in my opinion as well.  Coaches have stated Morris will get 1st crack but everyone ill be involved.  I think Morris shines and is the lead dog in this race.  I see 65% of the touches going his way with the other 2 guys splitting the rest.  Prediction for this game.  Morris 23 carries 102 yards 1TD.  Rod Smith 3 carries 8 yards, 3 catches 19 yards.  D-Mac 5 carries 21 yards,  1 catch 6 yards.  

Its none of the above, Dak will throw. The Cowboys want to win, they will give Alf some run and he might get a few TDs but Dak is about to throw 40 times a game. All this hand wringing over Dallas RBs and the most obvious scenario is staring us right in the face. RBBC with 10 of Zekes rushes turning into 10 Dak passes. 

5 hours ago, Tax77 said:

Its none of the above, Dak will throw. The Cowboys want to win, they will give Alf some run and he might get a few TDs but Dak is about to throw 40 times a game. All this hand wringing over Dallas RBs and the most obvious scenario is staring us right in the face. RBBC with 10 of Zekes rushes turning into 10 Dak passes. 

Dak's passing may increase a little but I find it hard to believe this team will completely shift its offensive philosophy just because Zeke is gone. 

5 hours ago, Tax77 said:

I can see this...'cause I'm starting Morris this week.

6 hours ago, Tax77 said:

I’m not sure Dallas has the weapons to sustain 40 passes per game. Prescott has been successful because the passing game comes from a strong running game. 

6 hours ago, Tax77 said:

why ? did the o line get suspended with zeke? 

Lol @ passing. Only way they go heavy pass is if Atlanta goes up big early.

They have one of the better offensive lines. They're not going to abandon the run because Zeke is gone. This has been said by players and coaches and even if it wasn't said, it's just the smart thing to do. 

27 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

I’m not sure Dallas has the weapons to sustain 40 passes per game. Prescott has been successful because the passing game comes from a strong running game. 

Agree with that.  The Cowboys need a strong running game.

Morris will get a shot but if he's faltering, I think the Cowboys will be more than willing to give the other guys a shot as Smith definitely brings more energy and better hands.

Will be interesting to see what happens.  I think it all depends on how Morris does with his touches and gameflow.  

6 hours ago, Tax77 said:

I don't think they want to copy Seattle when they have a good run blocking OL (unlike Seattle) and RBs like Morris and Smith who while not Zeke, will do just fine. McFadden is maybe like Rawls, but he's the #3 RB on Dallas with Zeke out. On their small sample size Morris and Smith are both averaging over 6 yards per carry. Obviously neither of them are going to average over 6 yards a carry with more volume, but you're not going to abandon the run game when you have RBs who are gaining yards and an OL that can block. 

My  two cents:

Morris is given the shot tmrw. He's a veteran. Can be trusted. Has had the reps as the backup for weeks now. This week, he should get the lion's share of touches.

However, if somehow ATL gets up and Dallas is in catchup mode, that will hurt.

Another scenario is Morris falls flat on his face. I don't think it will impact his stats too much this week, but I'd think all bets would then be off next week at home against PHI run D (which is tough as nails). In this scenario, we return to  full fledged RBBC.

15 minutes ago, Brian Bosworth said:

Likewise -- I'm starting Morris and benching Doug Martin..   a bit uneasy with the decision myself.

Not sure he's a worse option than Martin right now...that team's a mess.

I'm still considering benching Morris for Devante Parker (move McCaffrey from flex). But t as another poster said, at least Alf is fresh.

Edited by Beerdown

I own and am starting Alf, but his lack of pass chops (especially compared to Zeke) changes substantially how Dallas will game plan and use their RBs.  It will change how opposing Ds will gameplan Dallas too.  

That is why it is not as simple as saying that not much changes because Dallas has an elite O-line.  A significant reason for the O-line's success is Zeke's dual threat capability.  Remove Zeke, and the O-line loses some of it's capability.

Zeke's affect on the game is huge.  I bet we see that show up in everyone's numbers, plus (e.g., Beasley) and minus (e.g., RBs).